When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Fans, What Do You Think Of This Gen?

HauteHippie

So I've always been a fan of this particular model. And this one appears to be in excellent shape. I'm curious what the Omega fans think in terms of value down the road. Asking price is about $1900.

This is the 20th Anniversary model 3590.50 Moon (1989). 2000 of them were produced. It's the Omega cal. 861 based on Lemania 1873.

Pics:

DSC03196.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

DSC03200.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

The Speedy is the ultimate Omega in my eyes. Many things have changed over the years, but the classic Speedmaster has not, it is as much as an icon for the Omega brand as the Submariner is for the Rolex brand. At that price I would be sending funds over :)

Cheif, I am currently looking into buying a gen Speedy right now myself so my vote is for you to go for it. I had about 10 different gens on my list from Tags to Breitlings but decided to go with the Speedy. My son just made a year and I was thinking I would really like to have a watch to give to him when he got older. After thinking about it what better choice is there than the Speedy? The design has been around since the 60's and it is still an eye catcher, not some fad that will be out of style in 15 years. There is also the history of the Speedy being the only watch worn on the moon and such, which I am sure would draw his attention once he starts learning about the moon landings in school. I just figured what better watch to turn my son into one of us, and then pass it onto him.

Thanks, guys!

Beautiful watch and a true classic. Congratulations. The dial looks like it has been relumed?

I was wondering about that too, but I don't think it's the case. I've seen a few other pics of the 20th anniversary, and in each case the tritium isn't perfect.

Here's a pic of number 0072. Maybe this one is a little cleaner, but the 3, 8, 10 and 12 markers are definitely imperfect:

Face3.jpg

Probably a good idea to confirm with the seller, though. He's got it on hold for me but I haven't sent the wire just yet. Think I'll do that...

In 1989 Omega produced three limited edition series moon watches for the 20th Anniversary of the moon landing. One series of 250 for the German market. One series of 2000 for the USA market (the one I'm buying is one of these). And one series of 4000 (not individually numbered) for "the rest of the world". Incidentally, you'll notice that the USA series of 2000 uses the 1450 folded link bracelet. This is my favorite style of Omega bracelet by far. I had thought that the "rest of the world" 20th Anniv series had the same bracelet but with solid links, rather than folded, but the pic below sure looks folded also... but I digress

So, WIS trivia aside, here's a pic of a dial on the "rest of the world" series. This tritium is even messier. Check out the 6 marker:

DSC_3950.jpg

Incidentally, here's the stamp on the side of the case for this "rest of the world" model, series of 4000. They all have this commemorative Apollo XI 1969 stamp instead of individual numbers:

DSC_3944.jpg

Pretty cool IMO. :D

Cheif, I am currently looking into buying a gen Speedy right now myself so my vote is for you to go for it. I had about 10 different gens on my list from Tags to Breitlings but decided to go with the Speedy. My son just made a year and I was thinking I would really like to have a watch to give to him when he got older. After thinking about it what better choice is there than the Speedy? The design has been around since the 60's and it is still an eye catcher, not some fad that will be out of style in 15 years. There is also the history of the Speedy being the only watch worn on the moon and such, which I am sure would draw his attention once he starts learning about the moon landings in school. I just figured what better watch to turn my son into one of us, and then pass it onto him.

Hey, jd, if you're looking at buying a new one I think the 40th Anniversary edition moon watch with the 02:56 GMT dial would be a great choice. Released just as your soon turn one, also. It'd be a real keepsake. I'd like one myself. But of course, as you say, you can never go wrong with the traditional Speedy either.