When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting response from a WatchSmith

Ronin

OS? Sorry don't recognise that reference........

Col is talking about me, Brightlight.

Give me a PM with the Model and case numbers, which are stamped on the caseback.And let me know what parts you are chasing.

I have been doing quite a few Seiko restorations, and have developed some contacts for both aftermarket, and obsolete genuine parts.

You would be surprised what is laying around on some AD's and repairers shelves.

I would be reasonably confident the crystal can be found, either as a gen or as aftermarket. In fact I have a fairly extensive range on my shelf now.

Offshore

If there is 1 thing I have learned when relying on other people for help, seek & ye shall find. Have you tried ebay?

I do check ebay on occasion but so far nothing has come to light. Apart from that I'd more or less given up and assumed it was a waste of time, particularly after Seiko couldn't be bothered to respond. I have pm'd Offshore with the case number and so on, so I am feeling hopeful again :)

It's really quite amazing the depth and variety of knowledge on this forum, I appreciate it more and more as time goes by.

Hope they dont screw your watch up like Seiko U.K. did mine. I sent my 6 y.o. heavily scratched auto relay for a service, first they scratched the dial and inside of crystal - clearly to match the case ! That took them 2 months. Then I complained and they replaced the dial and crystal but then the crown wobbled that was another two months. I gave up, the watch was brought back to life by avitt who took all the scratches away and coated it in magic DLC. Next time I ll use an independent watchsmith who will care about the watch.

Ronin,

SeikoUSA may not work on the watch as it is 14 years old. Unless it has changed, typical SeikoUSA practice is to not to do spa work on watches older then 10-15 years as Seikos sold in the US are designed as a throw away commodity. Different story if we were in Japan or the Far East where you can purchase the Grand Seiko lines but those are only servicable in Japan and have to be sent back to the headquarters for work.

The Seiko Citizen Forum have some good smiths who work on Seikos. Ken Setser is one.

If any watch is of value (emotional or financial), it needs to be serviced regularly.

I have a Doxa Sub 200T Graph in house now, very complex and rare movement that hasn't been serviced for a long long time...I'll post some pics.

Basically the setting wheel wore down the mainplate pivot arbour so much the gear moves from side to side, this in turn caused intermittent hand setting and higher than normal crown friction when setting the time, which in turn finally broke a tooth off of the intermediate setting wheel...so as it stands now, the watch is DOA and no parts are available. I did manage a sort of repair to the worn out pivot, but it won't run with the missing tooth.

The watch may never be able to be repaired, and these problems were completely avoidable, if only it had been taken care of and serviced regularly.

Anyone who brags that they have (or know someone who owns) a watch that "...keeps perfect time, it's never been in the shop, in 25 years...blah blah...therefore servicing is a waste of time..." doesn't know what they are talking about and obviously doesn't care about their watch.

Seiko's are great products, the quality of the movements is outstanding.

Sorry Britetight, just got back to this thread. OS has my baby down there now, 500 buck quote from Seiko, then "can't be done". The man is fixing it for far less. OH, and he ain't kidding when he says he has "quite a few" crystals :)

See you about tenish mate.

Col.

If there is 1 thing I have learned when relying on other people for help, seek & ye shall find.

Prophetic words indeed Freddy!

I don't think there is so much incredible about what transpired yesterday, except some truly amazing coincidences.

When I saw Brightight chasing Seiko bits, I thought I may be able to help a bit, as I have a few contacts.

(Normally I don't make a habit of posting PMs' BTW, but will post here some bits of what I told Brightight yesterday as this is a story of unbelievable coincidence)

You aren't going to believe this.

I have been searching around with little luck.

Even the crystal is difficult as it has (apparently) printing on the inside, so it is specific to that watch.

None of my contacts can come up with anything positive. SHIT!

Now I buy job lots of watches from ebay, so I searched thru the couple of thousand carcases laying here, and couldn't turn up much, maybe a crystal which would fit, but wouldn't match!

So this afternoon a parcel is delivered...another 20 odd watches from the 'bay.

As I'm picking thru them, I spot a Seiko Sports 100, black face analogue digi.

"Couldn't be" says I. Turn it over...the back is pretty worn ,but sure enough H357-5110!(The model Bt wanted)

Bingo! The plastic shroud is maybe 90-95%, the crystal has a few minor scratches (These were the parts I had been chasing for Bt)...but nothing 20 minutes with some toothpaste on your thumb, rubbing, won't cut out.

So some good news.

Amazing these old watches, fit a battery and away they go!

It has the correct SR927W (as distinct from SW- never put an SW in a digi/analogue!!)

The original spec battery was SR926W (now upgraded to SR927W)

Only needed a battery tie down screw, and a clean of the contacts.

I gave it a circuit board clean as well.

The crystal will polish nicely.

So it is all sitting here awaiting an overseas holiday!

Give me an addy, and you will see it in about 10 days.

So the watch gods were certainly looking down, when they delivered the parts, or in this case a complete working watch, within just a few hours of a request for parts going out. Can only wish all my parts searches were this easy and eventful.

It was obviously meant to be, so now this little Japanese born, Aussie raised treasure, will find a new loving and caring family in England.

I suspect Bt will interbreed the two cousins, to come up with a more perfect specimen! ;)

(And have a bunch of replacement parts for its ongoing health!)

He has said it is to become an heirloom for his boy, so it certainly will have a great history, and accompanying story to be told over the years.

And I am just happy to be of service to this great RWG community.

Offshore

Try these: http://www.seikowatches.com/support/customer/index.html

I'm of a mixed mind on these matters. Sometimes maintenence does not make sense. For example tire rotation. My car recommends that I rotate the tires every 7,500 miles. When I do the math it is cheaper to just leave the tires alone. I pick up a maximum of 10% to 20% additional wear with the extra maintenence, but I spend more than 10% or 20% on the tire rotations.

I think these things need to be viewed in a big picture. If left alone what would the likely damage be? I've read that Japanese movements when purchased in quantity cost about $35.00 each. So why not wait until it is caput and just drop in a new one?

Just wondering aloud.

Regards,

Packard I understand your point on the monatary savings as far as your tires go. But tires that are reg rotated give you better gass millage and also wear In a more even pattern making them more safe to drive on, especially In wet weather road conditions. Checking the air preasure once a month Is a good Idea also for the same reasons, safety and longevity are Improved. Im a car guy sorry about the rant :D Mike