When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day 4 of the Master Cleanse

redwatch

Hello,

My girlfriend and I were discussing the master cleanse with some co-workers/friends earlier in the week. They announced they were starting the master cleanse on monday and so my girlfriend and I decided to do it with them. We started on tuesday, and are now on day 4 of the diet. I must say, I feel great in the mornings. I feel energized and the fact that I haven't eaten any food hasn't really bothered me. However, by the evening, both my girlfriend and I are quite miserable and very, very hungry. We did a bunch of research online stating both pro's and con's of the master cleanse, and we are both very un-sure if we should continue with the cleanse. As an aside, we were hoping to lose some weight as well as enjoy the benefits of the cleanser. Neither one of us has lost a single pound in 4 days, which I find very, very odd. We are following the cleanse to the letter, and we are even doing the dreaded Salt Water cleanse.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Ok i'm not a doctor, but i did do a biology degree. I would suggest you start eating properly immediately. Doing crazy things like this to your body can lead to very serious medical conditions including but not limited to kidney failure and heart attack.

Oh and did I mention that I stayed at a holiday inn express last night? Just kidding, get eating.

I've never seen any peer reviewed study showing any benefit from any cleanse systems or products.

I file these things under the same category as homeopathy and such. Just placebo effect, hindsight bias, and conformation bias.

Certain herbs have been shown to help out. Things like milk thistle extract has demonstrated a positive effect on the liver.

I have only briefly heard about the master cleanse diet, but have a hard time with the 'salt water flushes'. Knowing what salt water does to the human body, there is no way I would go along with ingesting it voluntarily.

I am not against cleanses, however. My wife and I discovered a program called Colonix and we do it once a year for a month. Its basically a fiber and herbal program...no major alterations to your diet. As far as I know, it hasnt been 'peer reviewed' in a medical journal, but go read the testimonials on it and you will be floored. The passages are quite disgusting, in fact, and make for an interesting read. I didnt see parasites and other living intestinal organisms coming out of me (a lot of users do), but there was a lot of 'garbage' coming out that doesnt regularly make its way down the pipes. Some people even see other health and medical issues improve, lots of instances of skin and gastro problems going away. Anyhow, I highly recommend it if you feel like you need to regulate your stomach, colon, core area etc.

I discovered a miracle cleansing and fitness routine that has been a top model secret for decades. I'm not sure I should even reveal the wonderful hidden methods of the ancients, but because I like my fellow watch-lovers, here it is:

There are no short-cuts: Eat properly and exercise well.

I have only briefly heard about the master cleanse diet, but have a hard time with the 'salt water flushes'. Knowing what salt water does to the human body, there is no way I would go along with ingesting it voluntarily.

I am not against cleanses, however. My wife and I discovered a program called Colonix and we do it once a year for a month. Its basically a fiber and herbal program...no major alterations to your diet. As far as I know, it hasnt been 'peer reviewed' in a medical journal, but go read the testimonials on it and you will be floored. The passages are quite disgusting, in fact, and make for an interesting read. I didnt see parasites and other living intestinal organisms coming out of me (a lot of users do), but there was a lot of 'garbage' coming out that doesnt regularly make its way down the pipes. Some people even see other health and medical issues improve, lots of instances of skin and gastro problems going away. Anyhow, I highly recommend it if you feel like you need to regulate your stomach, colon, core area etc.

I'm sure it's like most other colon cleanse products....all the weird herbs in it makes your poop look funny so people think it's working. Wikipedia even has a page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucoid_plaque

I use super colon cleans which is a fiber product. I wouldn't suggest it cures my illness and makes my headaches go away while making me lose 20 lbs, but it does keep things moving and the American diet is very low in fiber.

Well, about 5 minutes after my first post on this subject, my girlfriend and I broke off the cleanse (properly of course - didn't go get a burger or anything). After a nice gentle ramp up over the weekend with juice and soups we are now off of the diet.

Thanks for the tips guys! I kept trying to convince my girlfriend that there are no easy short cuts when it comes to dieting. Just eat right, exercise and watch the portion sizes. We both feel better about being off of the cleanse and are looking forward to a nice healthy diet.

• 3 weeks later...

The lack of weight loss is due to the fact that the body senses that you are not eating and goes into starvation mode. This allows the body to shut down it's metabolism and start hoarding fat which it will use later as fuel.

These diets do nothing other then breakdown muscle, sometimes retain water, and store fat. All bull crap. It gains opposite results then what your looking for. Any weight loss that does occur is a false loss as its attributed to the body flushing water. If you are one of the few who does lose weight, you will 100% regain it as soon as you start eating normally.

Eat your veggie!!

• 2 months later...

man, just work on what you eat and how much you eat. go on raw veg diet for a month. avoid processed food at all costs! make sure you get lots of nutrients & vitamins from plants/vegetables. if you cant live without meat - get locally grown organic meats once in a while or wild caught fish only. you will notice the results.

what you are doing is too much for a beginner. its like beginner pilot who just got his license gets to fly F16 with no supervision. you will do some damage.

Hello,

My girlfriend and I were discussing the master cleanse with some co-workers/friends earlier in the week. They announced they were starting the master cleanse on monday and so my girlfriend and I decided to do it with them. We started on tuesday, and are now on day 4 of the diet. I must say, I feel great in the mornings. I feel energized and the fact that I haven't eaten any food hasn't really bothered me. However, by the evening, both my girlfriend and I are quite miserable and very, very hungry. We did a bunch of research online stating both pro's and con's of the master cleanse, and we are both very un-sure if we should continue with the cleanse. As an aside, we were hoping to lose some weight as well as enjoy the benefits of the cleanser. Neither one of us has lost a single pound in 4 days, which I find very, very odd. We are following the cleanse to the letter, and we are even doing the dreaded Salt Water cleanse.

Ok i'm not a doctor, but i did do a biology degree. I would suggest you start eating properly immediately. Doing crazy things like this to your body can lead to very serious medical conditions including but not limited to kidney failure and heart attack.

Oh and did I mention that I stayed at a holiday inn express last night? Just kidding, get eating.

I completely agree with these sentiments. My wife tried one of these pseudo science cleanses and she ended up the hospital as a result with severe bowel problems.

We do not need to cleanse our bodies as they do it on a daily basis already. If we do need assistance with cleansing, then we have serious health issues and should be under a Doctors care. Take care of your self and stay away from crackpot health cures for nonexistent ills.

The last few days have had me indulging in my own version of master cleansing

An emergency dental surgery has left me nutritionally challenged

I've been eating soft fruit or vegetables to keep the antibiotics down

Sometimes just milk laced with honey & turmeric to heal the surgical incisions sooner

Tomorrow they plan to remove the leftover paraphernalia from my jaw

heck I don't feel any different except that I haven't gone to the bathroom much :D

• 1 month later...

Why don't you guys get your colons professionally clensed? This fasting crap is just plain stupid.

I personally take green tea extracts when I feel like my valves need purging. :)

• 2 months later...

Hello,

You haven't lost any weight because your body has gone to "starvation mode", this is why diets like the cabbage soup diet fail miserably, IF you lose weight it's going to be mostly water... fads like this are dangerous because you're denying vital nutrients [keyword: vital] to your body, protein is going to be gotten from somewhere because you can't function without it, so it's going to come from your muscle tissue [lipolysis in muscle] - If you want a good cleansing eat 6 small balanced meals everyday, you'll feel much better, less hungry and you'll lose weight eventually, also remember, you can't lose weight simply lying around, you need to exercise, 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat, roughly, to give you an idea - Juices alone aren't going to give you the fuel nor nourishment necessary to do a good workout.

Stop!

Edited by guanaco