When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New 44.25mm Autowind Moon Watch

HauteHippie

Normally I don't like changes to a classic watch, but this one I do... It's sweet! I guess they've just started shipping these to ADs, although they were unveiled at Basel in 2008. Pretty sweet looking in-house movement, date at 6, and artesian fired ceramic dial (I don't even know what that means). Retail $8000 *gasp*.

Here's the specs and some pics lifted from TZ:

37 Jewel Omega Exclusive Automatic Movement

52 Hour Power Reserve

Column Wheel Switched Chronograph

Coaxial Escapement

Free Sprung Balance with micro adjusters on the balance

100 Meter Water Resistance (twice more then current and previous Speedmasters)

AR coating on Sapphire Crystal’s inside, not outside!

Sapphire Display back

P1040150.jpg

P1040160.jpg

P1040162.jpg

P1040156.jpg

P1040152.jpg

Sorry but I find it cringeworthy. A date function on a Speedy Moon is just wrong. As is sapphire. And an automatic movement applies the final urination on the heritage, never mind the fact the rotor looks like it's one of Guangzhou's finest. God I almost forgot...44mm, sweet jesus no.

For similar money, you can get a 50th anni '1957' Speedy, with retro insignia, enamel dial, and a lovely co-axial manual movement (c.3201) all in a perfect 42mm sized case.

It was only a matter of time Doc. All models eventually get modernized.

I like the 44MM size and it keeps truer to the traditional look than most modern re-issue's

It had to be an Auto if they wanted to sell them - peeps today don't want to manually wind <_<

It was only a matter of time Doc. All models eventually get modernized.

I like the 44MM size and it keeps truer to the traditional look than most modern re-issue's

It had to be an Auto if they wanted to sell them - peeps today don't want to manually wind <_<

Agree. The original version is easily available at a moderate gen price - and it will be - for many many years to come. They´re offered on the bay all they time! This new version will co-exist with the original one, but history can´t be changed. You - and we - now have more choice, isn´t that great? The original will be around forever, whatever new $hit they come up with:-D

Chief - I understand you when you say "Normally I don't like changes to a classic watch" - but let´s remember that the orignal watch still exists unchanged. It´s not like it has disappeared. There are thousands of them everywhere. Heh. The classic moonwatch remains its integrity - this new watch we´re seeing here, it´s simply a different watch. So IMHO there´s no need to put them up against eachother. The classic has not been changed: A new watch has been released. Big difference IMHO.

MG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...