When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quality of quartz movements in reps

metaljesus

@Jkay,

Are you speaking here of just the Chinese cheapies (plastic) stamped Miyota only, (I agree with you BTW) or have you seen OS (chrono) Miyotas (Japanese) that may have been Chinese manufactured?

I have suspected that some OS movements of late may have questionable parentage :whistling:

Offshore

I have an outstanding Miyota quartz chrono in my BR 01 94 that keeps time to less than a second per month, and a terrible plastic fake Miyota in a rip-off BRASS Cartier with chrome plating that died in 6 months.

One of my first reps was a Tag Heuer Aquaracer. Bought it extremely cheap form a dealer in Thailand. Had a great case, good rubber strap but the dial was not so good. The Quartz movement is just as big as the case (so very big) and is mostly metal. Does not look cheap. Strangest thing is that this watch is the best timekeeper i have. I also own Seiko and Citizens watches (models like the Seiko premier and velatura). This rep however stays accurate on the second for at least 3 months, none of my others watches is able to do so. So a rep quartz can indeed be very reliable and accurate.

Probably an incredibly stupid newbie question: but do all quartz movements tick once per second or are there also "sweeping" quartz movements?

There are a few such as the tuning fork in older bulovers and acutrons and also the f300 from omega but these day i dont know of any true quartz with a microstepper for the sweep seconds. Unles you have a chronograph and leave the chrono running.

quartz with a second hand with have a 1 second movement, meaning that the controler sends a pulse to the motor once a second and it turns once, many quartz with out a second hand will have a pulse every 6 seconds, the up sides on these is that you dont know how acurate it is and the battery lasts for ever!

You've all had better luck with rep quartz watches than the Mrs. has. She's had 2 or 3 break.

And when it does you throw in another 4 dollar MVT!

Quartz-movements are interesting!

The replica of the TAG Heuer Formula One Chronograph as well as the Indy use the same ETA Quartz movement as the gen. I checked

Mine :)

The most expensive Quartz replica must be the Porsche Doppelchronograph, supposedly with the genuine split-chronograph ETA-movement, at more than 300USD. Have not seen any review.

Even the battery in the Tag is the same as the Gen.

The Porsche must use the same MVT if the dbl chronas work.

[quote name='maxman' date='21 August 2009

I have read that most quartz movements are good to about 60 secs per year. My understanding Is that most reps have the cheeper Japanise movements.

A few quartz replicas I have owned:

catier santos and tank...Pulsar VJ24, never had any trouble in 5 years+

cartier 21 chronograph...ISA 8161, no trouble at all

TAG chronograph...Miyota MFS, no trouble at all

I have had a few brand name chronographs with Etas, both the higher priced 251.xxx models and lower priced G10 models with no hassles.

My favorite of the bunch is the ISA.

Because of all the trouble with mechanical movements, you begin to think a no hassle quartz watch is too good to be true.

The simple fact is...they are a lot cheaper easier to live with.

For example, my wife and I have a pair of genuine 1995 TAG Eta quartz watches that have not missed a lick in 14 years except for a few cells (batteries) and a gasket or two.

The other side of the coin is 'in house' quartz movements like the rolex oysterquartz, IWC mecaquartz etc...I would hate to be stuck with one of these overpriced PiecesOS with a DOA movement needing a $1200 fix.

What the world needs is a $25 quartz movement with a 5 or 6 beat per second second hand with a lithium 3 volt cell to run it a couple years. Seiko had one but stopped selling them for some reason. They has a silicone filled module with a hairspring in it under the dial to drive the second hand and take out the jumps.

Just a question, that is sort of related to the topic. Does the ETA quartz movements also suffer from the slow date change, like the Miyotas?

Some do, some don't.....depends on the model. Same goes for Miyota, and other brands.

No definite answer to that one I'm afraid.

O/S

Probably an incredibly stupid newbie question: but do all quartz movements tick once per second or are there also "sweeping" quartz movements?

Hadn't noticed this thread before I started one directly relating to sweeping quartz.

Bulgari has a model which I was shown today, with a very smooth sweeping hand. So someone out there does make it.

There are a few such as the tuning fork in older bulovers and acutrons and also the f300 from omega but these day i dont know of any true quartz with a microstepper for the sweep seconds. Unles you have a chronograph and leave the chrono running.

quartz with a second hand with have a 1 second movement, meaning that the controler sends a pulse to the motor once a second and it turns once, many quartz with out a second hand will have a pulse every 6 seconds, the up sides on these is that you dont know how acurate it is and the battery lasts for ever!

Battery killer!

IMG_0126.jpg