When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are the Swiss replica versions really Swiss?

Can anyone tell me whether or not the Swiss versions listed are the same movements in non-rep watches? I am looking at a Breitling Seawolf which says it has a 2824-2 movement. The reason I want to know is because I may at some point need parts and everyone says that an A7750, for example, would be difficult, if not impossible to get. I remember reading somewhere that there is no such thing a real Swiss movement in a replica. But that was a long time ago. Are these movements the same as an actual Breitling?

Can anyone tell me whether or not the Swiss versions listed are the same movements in non-rep watches? I am looking at a Breitling Seawolf which says it has a 2824-2 movement. The reason I want to know is because I may at some point need parts and everyone says that an A7750, for example, would be difficult, if not impossible to get. I remember reading somewhere that there is no such thing a real Swiss movement in a replica. But that was a long time ago. Are these movements the same as an actual Breitling?

Yes and No.

Some reps do come with genuine ETA movements, same thing you will find in Breitling, Omega, TAG, etc.

Some come with clone ETA movements. These are a relatively new breed. They look the same. They work the same. They can technically be serviced the same as if it were a real ETA.

Some come with Asian movements. Typically low cost, low beat, non ETA, like the 2813 for example.

The suggestion that a 7750 would be hard to get is due to the fact that genuine ETA resources are drying up. Swatch co. the owner of ETA, has stopped distribution of ETA movements outside of, well, basically Swatch and its respective swiss brands.

• Like 1

The Seawolf does come with a gen eta 2836-2 not the 2824. There was a post on Repgeek where a bunch of owners posted pics of the movements in the new Seawolves, myself included and they were all identified as gen eta not clone.

Another view to take is that with the A7750's, a slow beat can be replaced with a gen high beat as a straight swap as the hand sizes are the same, while a high beat if serviced properly shouldn't (take this with a degree of variance in consideration) need parts replaced...just maintenance on a regular cycle as you're getting things lubed up before the metal runs dry as metal on metal.

The reason I wanted to know is because I thought it would be easier to have my watch serviced if it had a genuine movement. I've read that most watchmakers do not want to work on a rep.

I had to check around for about two weeks before i found a watchsmith/repair person to work on my reps. I found the best places are the neighborhood mall. Stay away from AD's and any place that sell high end pieces. The way the economy Is now there are more opportunities out there for us rep enthusiasts to have are watches repaired/serviced. :) Mike

To Say it is a swiss movement i would say is streching the truth in many cases, it may well be an ETA movement but i realy dont expect it to have traveled all the way from Switzerland to China to be fitted in my watch, a more reasonable explanation is that it would have been made in an ETA factory somwhere in Asia/China hence an old word being reincarnated toady :- Chiss or Swinese

To Say it is a swiss movement i would say is streching the truth in many cases, it may well be an ETA movement but i realy dont expect it to have traveled all the way from Switzerland to China to be fitted in my watch, a more reasonable explanation is that it would have been made in an EAT factory somwhere in Asia/China hence an old word being reincarnated toady :- Chiss or Swinese

This was always my Impression :pardon: