When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just received my new "noobmariner" - pics

jmb

I received the noobmariner I ordered from watchwoot/D4ME today and thought I'd give my first impressions. The watch feels good and quite substantial, fit and finish seem to be very nice - good attention to detail. The only thing that detracts from the item is the band/bracelet. It feels rather cheesy, flimsy, and rather rattly - but, considering the price point of the watch everything can't be perfect and I'm told even plagues the gen version. I have read that a lot of the reps have a bezel insert that is not properly "sunk" into the bezel, the fit of this insert seems very good to me and only stands a couple thou proud of the metal bezel - really only noticeable under magnification.

One thing that might make some feel better is no engraving on rehaut. I remember reading posts with grumblings about the "new" version having the incorrect engraving.

I am by no means anything other than a "noob" but I feel this is a great watch for the money.

Here are a couple of pics:

sub_1_sm.JPG

sub_2_sm.JPG

sub_3_sm.JPG

sub_4_sm.JPG

sub_5_sm.JPG

sub_6_sm.JPG

sub_8_sm.JPG

sub_9.JPG

Edited by jmb
  • Like 1

The only thing that detracts from the item is the band/bracelet. It feels rather cheesy, flimsy, and rather rattly - but, considering the price point of the watch everything can't be perfect and I'm told even plagues the gen version.

You are perfectly correct. The Submariner's bracelet is like this .. not luxury .. a tool. If you lubricate it with a dry bicycle chain lubricant it will improve the feel a LOT!

• Like 1

D4ME posted (on a different forum) that the supplier might have goofed on mine. He said the pictures of mine look like a VIP mariner instead of a noobmariner and he would check with them to see if the noob was again being produced without rehaut engraving.

As far as rotor, mine has the A21J as well, I can hear it if I rotate my wrist and hold the watch right up against my ear but I don't consider it loud. But, then again, I don't really know how loud LOUD is! This is about the same volume level as the one in my low-end Daytona...

You can check the SN on your sub- F520117 is the old noob SN, new SN is something like M09x117- but it's printed on the rehaut also. I worked on a friends VIP Mariner awhile back- seems like the SN was F458xxx or something like that. Take the bracelet off and check between the lugs at 6 o'clock.

I'll maybe do that this weekend if I have time. I'll do a search on how to do this so I don't tear something up - I don't think this bracelet is the most heavy-duty thing in the world...

Congrats !!!

the genuine bracelet has larger holes for the screw (pins) ergo they have more play in the links .. the genuine is very silky .... oiling the rep bracelet will help.. but mainly just strap it on and enjoy !!

Live Strong and Wear it Well

A~C

Lani

That's interesting, do you think I got this through the "luck of the draw" or maybe the factory decided the "old" one was better? So far, after Tri-Flowing the rotor bearing and manually winding the crap out of it, it hasn't quit running in almost 24 hours so I may have dodged the bullet. I will, however, probably put in the DG4813 movement I ordered just to get the smoother sweep... I also ordered a watchmaterial pearl and insert as the current pearl looks pretty crappy even to a total noob like me!

The rehaut is that of a noobmariner. I think its fine. You lucked out not geting the engraved rehaut. Nice!

The bracelet feels flimsy but so does the gen. It does not mean it is fragile.

Heres my how-to for fixing bracelet rattle. Should make for a much more gen like wear.

watch material pearl, sand the bezel insert down. sand down those CG's a bit. bracelet rattle fix. install a DG high-beat, and you have much more than a beater in my opinion.

I'm having a very hard time finding anything more than minor variations in the CG shape in this noob compared to pics I've harvested for several gens. Maybe somebody could take the last pic from bottom and point out what needs to be changed. I overlayed this pic on that of a gen (in photoshop)and couldn't see enough difference to mess with - or maybe my eyes are just shot...

Noob crown guards aren't too bad, they just need to be trimmed on the inside edges maybe a 1/2 mm. Here's a 16610 from ebay- look at about the 3rd pic down- there's a little bit of daylight between the crown abd the cg's- not much and you have to keep the same angle that the noob already has.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Rolex-Submariner-Stainless-Steel-16610-Date_W0QQitemZ380154567839QQcmdZViewItemQQptZWristwatches?hash=item5882fa5c9f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14