When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

same quality ?

p-lund

When I ordered a Vacheron Constantin Overseas with an Asian movement, it was the same case etc as the Swiss version. While I would acknowledge that some of the really cheap reps can be lacking in quality, I would still say that some of the cheaper watches can be just as nice as their more expensive counterparts... Welcome to the party :good:

Im sorry you lost your job but Im glad your still able to enjoy are little hobby. I try to purchase the better movement watches when i can. They just seem to be better overall. That could be just my perception. There are some desent cheeper watches out there, I guess It's just doing your research to see what makes some watches better then others, Sapphire crystals vs mineral, etc ect :) Mike

there are some good deals out there..

TJ is one of the most disciplined shoppers here.. :)

I'm usually a "cheap" shopper when it comes to other items.. I have zero discipline when it comes to this hobby.. :p

A~C

Lani

Thanks, bro, that's one of the nicest compliments anyone's ever paid me :):good:

Just to re-touch on the point, as mentioned, this only cost me £20 plus shipping... Ignore that the bracelet failed, anything mechanical is subject to failure, and I have had cheap watches which have not had bracelet failures... Ignore the movement failure, that was most likely a result of the impact when the watch fell, those things could have happened to any watch, at any price. Consider the watch solely on aesthetics, case/bracelet build and appearance, and compare to DJs being sold in the $100-$300 range... No gaping links, no gape at the lugs, all dial markers correctly lined up, all printing clear (not necessarily so from the photo) solid operation of the bracelet clasp, all hands in place when the watch arrived ( ;) ) Why pay more?

DSCN1778.jpg

DSCN1780.jpg

DSCN1781.jpg

DSCN1782.jpg

DSCN1783.jpg

I got a headache reading your so-called sentences.

And his spelling could use some refinement too.

And people wonder why newbies are scared to post and the activity levels are low. What did the old start page used to say? "One of the friendliest forums in cyberspace"?

Geesus.

Welcome to the hobby p-lund. Be warned its incredibly addictive so the costs do pile up, even if ur going for cheapies :)

• Like 1

It would be worth you searching out the post about best buys under $150, or was it $100, there are some cracking buys in that list, it may be 6 months out of date and you could help up date it ia little but if you are on a buget and arnt we all that is the best place to start.

There are some good $175 Asian 7750 reps WITHOUT the chrono movement too (Look for PAMs with the running seconds at 9 or 3 at a date module on the other side. Very reliable movement without chrono complications.

I think if you stay away from the chrono movements, for <$150, you can do great.

Don't forget Quartz ones as well like the Tag F1, or I've been thinking of a ladies Seamaster (needs lume on the hands though...there's just a hole in the ones I've seen.

If you can spring for a few more bucks though, you can get some "new generation" almost super-reps. The dealeres have been working on getting some really nice cheaper reps out. Look for running seconds at 6 movements with the power reserve like the new Ulysse Nardin MMD for $175 on rubber, or the IWC Porto at just over $100. Rolex Milgauss with the 2813 movement is another. These are really good values I think.

There are some amazing dress watches in the $100 price range too (I have a couple fantasy A. Lange & Sohne ones that are beautiful, and very classy).

A good thread and reminder that high price tags aren't really needed to get a nice watch. I think I'll jump on the Ulysse Nardin MMD when it comes out in silver...for $188 on bracelet? Wow.

This, hard to find, but excellent thread is a must for all sensible buyers:

I only buy reps at under 150$ or so.. It's not that I can't or don't want to afford a watch at 300-400$, I'm willing to spend that and much more than that on a gen. It's a principal, I don't think that any rep is worth that much, and I'll explain exactly why:

1. The Asian movement is so cheap, you can replace it whenever it fails (and usually it won't fail so quickly). Even if your ETA watch would last 3 times longer than the Asian, the Asian would still be cheaper in the long run.

2. When buying a rep, you're getting little if any warranty. If your 350$ rep fails after 3 months, it's money down the toilet. You could fix it, but it will cost about 150$ more if you're lucky. Any gen can fail anytime (and it happens), a rep is much more likely to do that.

3. Auto chrono movements in high end reps, simply suck. Tons of problems, no matter would they do. Many times its also very flawed compared to the gen, because of bad sub-dials spacing. If you want a chrono watch, buy a quartz. Usually it will come in the same case, be a lot cheaper, much more reliable and more true to the gen. Of-course it's still a quartz, and if the gen is auto (which isn't always the case), you have what I consider a very minor flaw, but many will consider a major one.

Like I said before, take your time, do your research, read and ask, and you can find great value watches.

Just a word, I really like this forum, and I even support it, but take into consideration that many times people would look down on you if you're looking for the cheaper reps. Maybe it's just me, but this is the feeling I got, when asking similar questions at the beginning.

• Like 1

I would have to disagree with you on the cheep chrono(7750) movements. There are many of these movements sold every month and very few complants. I have five 7750's and they are doing just fine. Please dont take my word for It. There Is always the the Zig. He Is very fond of this movement (7750) and says that they can last and do last for years If serviced about every four to five years or so. The first service should be with In the first 12 months of receiving the watch. Due to the lack of sanatary conditions at the rep factories. Also said watch could have been sitting around for years and be In need of proper lubercation. I dont think there Is anyone who knows more about movements than the Zig. Were buying watches for pennies on the dollar so ya, there will be a bad watch from time to time. If you stick to the recommend dealers here at RWG and you get a bad watch that dealer will most likely make it right. Just trying to add to the post count here ;) Mike

And people wonder why newbies are scared to post and the activity levels are low. What did the old start page used to say? "One of the friendliest forums in cyberspace"?

Geesus.

Welcome to the hobby p-lund. Be warned its incredibly addictive so the costs do pile up, even if ur going for cheapies :)

This would be my post of the day. Thanks for adressing it.

Flame away everyone but I don't see how comments like the ones above are adding anything useful to the discussion.

Val.