When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A tropical MBW dial?!

Nanuq

I've been in freakishly hot Okla-stinkin-homa for a week now and the temps are killing me! How do you people live like this?! Thoughts of ice cubes flood my mind as I swelter beneath the unyielding rays in this Godforsaken place.

But today I noticed something. :Jumpy:

I've been messing with ageing my DRSD MBW insert (what else is there to do here besides break things?) and part of my technique has been to bake the living hell out of the watch in sunny places to get as much UV as possible.

Today my lying eyes told me that not only is my insert going steel blue faded, but the dial has begun to take on a chocolate tint :Jumpy: while the markers and text are staying ivory and white.

Is it the heat driving me slowly insane? Not having a camera here I can't post photos and I can't find a shrink that's not also a Bingo caller so I cannot know for sure. But I'll have my camera again in a few weeks when I get home and I'll post photos then. If I live through this Midwestern purgatory.

Hours and hours and HOURS in ungodly hot car windows and the sort. Followed by many dips in the chlorine-rich pool.

Bear in mind this is an ooooollllld MBW, ca. 13 years ago. Did Maria use different paint then? Who knows...

True, but remember too that I've had this in the sun for 13 years already. I wonder if I finally got it baked enough to turn?

The color of the insert is just a little too blue for my eye, I'd like to grey it up. Any ideas? That was LOTS of time in bleach. Like a total of an hour and 55 minutes so far.

True, but remember too that I've had this in the sun for 13 years already. I wonder if I finally got it baked enough to turn?

The color of the insert is just a little too blue for my eye, I'd like to grey it up. Any ideas? That was LOTS of time in bleach. Like a total of an hour and 55 minutes so far.

It looks fantastic :) I'm not exactly sure of the factory source for the parts I used in my project, but that got the same browning effect via grilling, so I'm wondering if UV exposure might have done the same thing (out of curiousity, does the bleaching affect the luminous quality at all?)

I wouldn't like to say about the insert... I've found that once it 'goes blue', that's a step before it strips down to the bare metal of the insert, so I really wouldn't know what to suggest there...

Hey Nanuq,

i'm afraid you're stuck with the blue. The black paint differs of course but they are all made with primary colours, ie red and blue and its these which are strongest and will be the last to fade.

I've bleached inserts which have turned brown hence more red in the black. Seems your insert has a strong dose of blue. The Chocolate dial such as yr gen DRSD and the MBW probably have a heavy dose of red in the original black paint hence the chocolate look..

Cheers

P.

I'll have to have a dig around but I believe I have filed away somewhere a better more dilute hence more controlled 'recipe' than bleach for achieving a slate-grey insert. Of course it also depends on the quality of your insert to begin with. My 1665 has a MY insert on it - not something I'd want to sacrifice in testing.

Hey Nanuq,

i'm afraid you're stuck with the blue. The black paint differs of course but they are all made with primary colours, ie red and blue and its these which are strongest and will be the last to fade.

I've bleached inserts which have turned brown hence more red in the black. Seems your insert has a strong dose of blue. The Chocolate dial such as yr gen DRSD and the MBW probably have a heavy dose of red in the original black paint hence the chocolate look..

Cheers

P.

That does makes sense about primary colour base, but surely there must be better quality inserts out there - aside from the gen of course - that differ? guess it's just a matter of trial and *gulp* error :unsure:

I'm not exactly sure of the factory source for the parts I used in my project, but that got the same browning effect via grilling, so I'm wondering if UV exposure might have done the same thing

Your cookery experiment is very different though, relying on heat generated by the low end (down to IR) of the EM spectrum, as far removed from the the UV 'baking' Nanuq's has been subjected to. I wouldn't expect the results to be comparable.

FWIW I think the gen slate-grey ageing is down to a combination of salt water and UV sunlight (which is mixed A and B ) and time. In other words, it's a very difficult task to replicate the effect of those exact conditions artificially. But hey, that's exactly why it makes it such fun trying :)

This all makes good sense, and I can see how the blue just won't go away now. Maybe I'll do some soaking in STRONG salt water solutions and strong UV and see what happens? If I get lucky, maybe I've started the fade process enough now that the remaining tint is weak enough to be quickly affected? Who knows... there's little to be lost in trial and (gulp) error.

Ah, let me clarify... The bleaching was only for the insert. The dial has stayed beneath its tropic-39 oven in the sun and has zero lume ability.

Sorry, I was probably not making a clear distinction between the bleaching of the insert, and the sun-bleaching of the lume on the dial. If sun-bleaching destroys the lume (as well as cooking it does) I might indeed re-consider my plan... One thing I do like to be able to do, is see the time in the dark :lol:

Your cookery experiment is very different though, relying on heat generated by the low end (down to IR) of the EM spectrum, as far removed from the the UV 'baking' Nanuq's has been subjected to. I wouldn't expect the results to be comparable.

FWIW I think the gen slate-grey ageing is down to a combination of salt water and UV sunlight (which is mixed A and B ) and time. In other words, it's a very difficult task to replicate the effect of those exact conditions artificially. But hey, that's exactly why it makes it such fun trying :)

Of course, you're absolutely right about the EM difference, that was something which never occurred to me, I was just looking at it as 'heat', rather than the actual wavelengths involved...

Salt water, you say... That would make sense, after all, the saline solution could be acting as an abrasive to remove the paint, which could mean that the grey color is simply the result of abrasion, rather than purely chemically based...

As you say, it's all those things which make it fun to try and replicate the look :)

If that's the case then, you might want to try a salt water "bleaching" of an insert, but keep in mind, in order to get a more realistic version, the salt water solution would need to be constantly moving somehow to simulate the watch being in water with current flows and arm movements. Maybe an ultrasonic bath machine with a small amount of sea salt in the solution for like 10 minutes or so? Could be an interesting science experiment!

Teejay, you may have also touched on something. Ocean water also has quite a bit of sand particles in it which may be causing an abrasive effect on the bezel insert. Perhaps amending my previous statement, how about a small amount of sea-salt and sand mixed into a small ultrasonic bath? And then let it soak in the sun for a while to age the luminous pearl?