When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Battle of the value watches: POrikaa vs SOSF V2

kramerica2

Battle of the Values

img2484d.jpg

Breitling SOSF Vs. Omega PO

I love value watches, those ~100$ reps that offer great quality and fitted with a cheap, but reliable and accurate Asian automatic movement. Two of the most popular watches in that section are the 42mm Omega Planet Ocean by Narikaa and the Breitling SuperOcean SteelFish.

These watches has been reviewed over and over again in this forum, so in order to add a bit more, I decided to make a little match-up between the two wonderful pieces.

The contenders:

1. The POrikaa:

img2486w.jpg

The 42mm PO that is sold by Reg (aka Narikaa) became very popular instantly. There was a huge demand for a cheap PO that will offer great quality for those willing to sacrifice some accuracy.

For more info, visit the monster POrikaa thread:

2. The V2 SOSF:

img2472b.jpg

A rather new version of the very popular Breitling rep. This version differs from the old and more popular V1 by having a sapphire AR crystal on the cheap Asian model like you get with the pricier ETA model. The price you pay for this is accuracy. IMO, the AR is more important than the accuracy issues, that are mostly loupe stuff anyway. You can agree with me, or not, your choice. I should also mention that apparently there is a V3, sold by PWC/T4D that also has a sapphire AR crystal, and is a bit more accurate. However, it has the arrow seconds hand instead of the block. For more info, visit this thread on the dark side:

http://www.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=203&t=55903

Round 1: Accuracy (25%)

Both watches are not very accurate. You can read all about it in the threads I linked to. If you know what to look for and look closely, you could spot the flaws rather easily. For this test, let's look at real life situations. 99.99% of the people you meet, don't have the slightest idea how to spot a rep. The other 0.01% that know a thing or two about watches, and maybe even own the gen, would have a really hard time spotting the flaws in real life situations. Of the 2 watches, I'd say that considering you meet someone that knows what to look for, and tries to look for it on your watch, it would be easier for him to do so on the PO. The reason is simple, the flawed pearl is something you could spot from about 40 cm (15 inch), and perhaps even you could spot the wrong placed He valve from a similar distance. The SOSF doesn't have any flaw (even the date font), that you could spot from less than 20 cm (8 inch) in real life.

The winner is the SOSF with 6/10 points, the PO gets 4/10.

Round 2: Quality (25%)

Since I can't really judge the watches' quality by any empirical measures, I'd have to go with feeling. Both watches look and feel very lucrative. The weight is good on both, the materials feel "right", and overall you get the quality you'd expect from a good rep. However, the PO's crown and bezel feels better than on the SOSF. On the PO it's easier to set the time and date and the bezel clicks feel better.

The winner is the PO with 8/10 points. The SOSF isn't far behind with 7/10 points.

img2463f.jpg

img2448l.jpg

Round 3: Bracelet and clasp (20%)

The bracelet is an important part. A well-built and comfortable bracelet really makes a difference. In terms of accuracy, both SS bracelets are very good. They replicate the quality feeling you get from the gens quite well. That's probably the reason why the PO's bracelet is a bit better. Omega's bracelets are better than any competitor at their price range, and the reps are no different. Like the gens, the PO's clasp is much more comfortable and unique but could have problems in the long run. The SOSF is much harder to take off your wrist, but seems like it could hold forever.

The winner is the PO with 9/10. The SOSF isn't bad at all and gets 8/10.

img2452ej.jpg

img2466z.jpg

Round 4: Appearance (15%)

I'm not gonna judge what's the better looking watch. Each with his own taste, and personally, I like them both the same. However, I can judge the presence. This might not be important for everyone, but some would like their watch to be a "head turner". Sometimes, its nice to have a watch that people would notice, and would look different. While they both radiate prestige, the SOSF is definitely more distinctive. It's thickness, busy dial and many details, give him a more unique look, and if noticed, would get more attention than the Omega. However, although not the case where I live, in most countries Omega is a more known brand outside WIS circles and its something to take into consideration.

The winner is the SOSF with 8/10 points. The PO gets 7/10 points.

img2458.jpg

img2477cs.jpg

Round 5: Lume (10%)

High-end or entry-level, most reps don't have a very good lume. No wonder that one of the popular mods around here is re-luming. That's the only way to get to (and many time surpass) the gen lume level. On these watches you can find your typical rep lume. The PO's hands lume is better, but the SOSF is better on the markers and pearl. The PO charge faster, but the SOSF lasts a bit longer. Looking at gen lume shots, you could say that the SOSF is closer to the gen by looks and quality, simply because the gen Omega lume is better. Overall, I can't find a distinctive winner, both get 5/10 points.

Round 6: Gen value (5%)

Most reps with a similar movement cost about the same, disregarding how much their gen costs. I don't pay much attention to this, but many people do, and for obvious reasons. You're paying ~100$ anyway, but the "value" you get is different. The SOSF retails at ~2800$ and the PO retails at ~3500$. Pretty much in the same ballpark, but a slight edge in favor of the PO.

The PO gets 8/10 and the SOSF 7/10.

img2494b.jpg

img2496cq.jpg

Conclusion:

I'll start by saying that you can't go wrong with either. You know what? at these prices, I'd simply recommend getting both. They make a great bargain, and you as long as you buy from a good dealer, you won't be disappointed. Regardless, this is a match-up, and every match-up must have a winner. You can imagine that the results are very very close. The winner is the SOSF, with 6.9/10, the PO came very close with 6.75/10. If you must buy only one of them, read and decide for yourself what's more important to you.

A good comparison there, *I like the way you did it,

I would point out that the crown on the SFSO is very wrong for this watch, but only picked up if you know it, you say the brietlin has Good AR???

Hm i may get one of these as my wife nicked my other one

A good comparison there, *I like the way you did it,

I would point out that the crown on the SFSO is very wrong for this watch, but only picked up if you know it, you say the brietlin has Good AR???

Hm i may get one of these as my wife nicked my other one

Thanks..

The AR is like on the POrikaa, one sided and not very strong, but it is evident and comparing to a non AR crystal, it really makes a difference giving the watch much more prestige.

It doesn't compare however, to double sided AR (that has its own disadvantages).

Nice comparison. Thanks for taking the time to do a write up! Please know there is a better noob SOSF or so called noobfish out there (it has the arrow second hand and crown).

Thanks

I've mentioned the third version, and the arrow hand is the reason why I didn't get it.... but that's just me.

i have the porikaa 45mm black dial and the true is very very good guality!reg do good jub!maybe one from best replica watch in the market and what a price!!!!!i wear and looks like original omega that cost 3500$!the true is that the most people out there they dont know who is the original planet ocean and you dont have problem!only few people that know how is the true planet ocean if they look very carefully the watch from narikka tell that is replica!thanks again reg for fantastic watch!

Thanks

I've mentioned the third version, and the arrow hand is the reason why I didn't get it.... but that's just me.

Indeed you are right. read over that sorry. The SOSF does have a major flaw namely the square on the second hand isn't red. Hope you didn't already mention that too because then I'm in need of glasses :lol:

Indeed you are right. read over that sorry. The SOSF does have a major flaw namely the square on the second hand isn't red. Hope you didn't already mention that too because then I'm in need of glasses :lol:

No need to rush to the optometrist...

I didn't mention specific flaws on purpose. The thread I linked to does a very good job at pointing those out, including the tiny square.