When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It’s Just A Watch…………right.

Linder

I am new to this site and since I have missed many of the “good” topics, I am going to give my opinion to every one I can think of…………So get ready for a long note. Sit back wind up your watch and read on if interested.

On buying a Rolex:

Buy from any AD near your home. It makes absolutely no sense to travel ½ way around the world to buy a watch. Even if you do save a few $$ you will never have a local resource for questions, adjustments, etc.

Buy the one “you” like. It will be on your wrist so “you” must enjoy it. Do not buy anything recommended by someone else, unless you let them pick out your suits and lunch also.

Keep the box. It will serve no other purpose but to remind you of the day you bought your watch. Always a happy memory when I pick it up and hold it. Usually only when I am moving from one home to another.

Buy from the best looking women in the store. You will already know what you want so who you buy it from does not matter, but anything in the company of a beautiful woman is better.

On owning a Rolex:

No one except you really cares what kind of watch you have. Bill Gates does not care nor does the check out girl at Wendy’s.

When did I get mine? When a confluence of personal and professional facets allowed for it. No one had to do without anything for me to purchase, nor do I think credit is appropriate for a watch purchase.

On wearing a Rolex:

I have had my watch on my wrist on the following occasions;

Immediately after the birth of each of my three children when I held them for the first time.

Twice when I thought I might die; once while a volunteer fireman in NJ in a house fire and the second while rafting the Gauley.

When I shook hands with G. Bush Sr., B. Clinton and R. Giuliani.

When I caressed my wife, my lover and my girlfriend. Each separately and never all in the same day.

When I was arrested.

When I was promoted to Vice President and when I was told to close our plant and let go all our employees because our site was being closed and moved.

I sleep with it on and shower with it on.

What I have done with my Rolex on my wrist:

I have played over 200 rounds of golf (I don’t swing like Tiger so don’t worry)

I have gone swimming in two oceans and two seas.

Traveled to three continents and 15 countries. Customs does not give a rat’s ass about watches. Trust me.

Been in countless pools, hot tubs, saunas, lakes and rivers.

Fired over 10,000 rounds of 9mm handgun ammo in competition and recreation

Jet ski, skydive (13,000 ft), rafting, kayaking, shark fishing and deer hunting.

I have been in many more strip bars than churches, been to more funerals than weddings. I have worn with my Tuxedo, yet prefer the leather when riding my Harley

I broke the crystal while fixing the upper radiator hose of my truck on the side of the highway.

On fit and function:

Cyclops is the dumbest thing I have ever come across. You get 2x magnification, yet only with a direct view which requires a “Rolex” type salute to actually see. Also never without a glare. My next Rolex will not have it if you are wondering.

Accuracy: I am not responsible for launching the Space Shuttle or any military maneuvers. I have never been late for a business meeting and reset the time accurately at the start and end of Daylight Savings Time and any month with less than 31 days.

Water Resistance: Get out to some place where you can free dive to 33 ft, 1/10 the rating. It is damn deep and you will not be doing that too often, so relax.

Service: It makes absolutely no sense to send a working watch for service unless it is losing time or stopped. Of course if you have the engine on your 500 SEL overhauled every 60K; by all means have your watch serviced every 5 yrs. I only take my watch off when I send it in for service. 2x. Stopped once and crystal the other.

Scratches, Dings, Dents = Character, I believe I have it and my watch does too.

Care and Cleaning: I shower once or twice every day and so does my watch. A good cleaning occasionally requires Close-up tooth paste.

I have “Lived” my life and for most of it I have had my Rolex on my wrist. I have made mistakes, yet I have no regrets. If I were to lose my watch in the ocean while body surfing, would I shed a tear or feel sadness? Not one bit. I would drive to my local AD and buy another, and start another batch of new memories. Memories with a new watch.

Thanks and these are “my” thoughts and I love ostentatious Roman numerals. I want to start a movement to get them put on the Submariner.

PS Take off the sticker if you want to, it is your watch. Wear your watch on the wrist of the hand you use to “relieve tension” with. It keeps the main spring properly wound and also takes care of a bunch of other issues.

PSS At the end of the day all it does is tell you what time it is. It is just a watch.

Original Post: http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=2089783

On wearing a Rolex:

I have had my watch on my wrist on the following occasions;

Immediately after the birth of each of my three children when I held them for the first time.

Twice when I thought I might die; once while a volunteer fireman in NJ in a house fire and the second while rafting the Gauley.

When I caressed my wife, my lover and my girlfriend. Each separately and never all in the same day.

When I was arrested.

When I was promoted to Vice President and when I was told to close our plant and let go all our employees because our site was being closed and moved..[/quote]

This guy is totally immune to irony--If you wrote 100 drafts trying to prove you were a self-aggrandizing, elitist, Wal-Mart brand-sentiment slinging [censored] you couldn't do it more successfully than this guy did without intending to. My fav is bragging about wearing a rolex when he went to tell the working stiff's their jobs had beeen outsourced.

I'm sure he's a nice guy in person, but he should think before he writes...

my personal favorite line from this trash:

"Thanks and these are “my” thoughts and I love ostentatious Roman numerals. I want to start a movement to get them put on the Submariner."

clearly no appreciation of the history or purpose of a submariner...

Guest HeWhoIsLikeGod
Personally, I enjoyed the post...

I believe that it came from the heart of a true watch lover...

TT

I agree, this guy may sound like an ass to some of you, but I think your just hating on the gen owners. This guy seems pretty normal to me, he doesn't sound stuck up at all, simply stating what all his Rolex has withstood, I think it is awesome to have had something like that with you through so many important things. And in all reality, its not like owning a sub means your rich, they are only like what $5-7,000? If any of us here wanted a real rollie I am sure you could, I am only 19, even I could afford one if I really wanted, surely most people could if you really wanted too... This just proves it is even more worth it, if you take care of it, it will be the last watch you ever buy. A decent watch quartz or cheasp auto cost $3-500 and easily could break every 2-5 years so your looking at $100-200 dollars a year for a watch... A rolex may cost you more than this, but it means alot more than some shitty quartz. And a Rollie holds approx. 80% of its value so a $5000 dollar watch will still be worth around $4000 in a few years, it may have even increased in value. Think you can sell that cheap quartz for $80 when you just paid $100 a few years ago? Nope. This guy bought a Rolex for the right reasons, he is not saying it makes him better than you or anything. It was for him. Sounds like a good guy in my book.

he sounds like a good guy to me to. and as far as that history of a sub crap who cares what they did 50 years ago. you don't have to stick a crank handle in the front of your car or kick start your harley anymore. i don't hear anybody bitching about that and thats alot more historical than anything rolex has or will ever do. roman numerals for everybody! lol!!!

An excellent read. Thanks for posting. I felt that his post is sincere and honest. It is so true, at the end of the day, it is merely a watch. A brillaint post. I enjoyed it.

Sorry why was this thread moved to Off Topic? Isnt this a general discussion about watches?

I thought off topic was mean to be topics that arent watch related.

Geez......I'd check my wrist after that lot.....!

Wear your watch on the wrist of the hand you use to “relieve tension” with. It keeps the main spring properly wound and also takes care of a bunch of other issues.

Confirmation of just exactly who wears them.....the Chicken Chokers Club...!