When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Positive emotion -rep 6497 power reserve~80h

sul

Last rep IWC what I bought movement is chinese 6497, but it has some kind of a" dual-winding box".

Very pleasant surprise was that this dual-winding really work`s. Power reserve is surprisingly good- approximately 4 days ~80hour. Not bad for a ~110$ rep and watch is quite accurate time keeper also :victory:

:g:

Double winding? Is this maybe a double barrel configuration? Seems unlikely... But who knows?

Possible, but where do you put the extra barrel? There isn't any spare room on a 6497 to fit another barrel the same size as the original one, which is what you need to get the extra reserve...

Something doesn't sound right, pics will clear it up.

No macro lens needed for the pictures we need, just a clear in focus picture of the movement at the highest resolution your camera has. Make sure it's in focus even if it means being 2-3 feet from the watch, you can then crop the picture with any photo program (I use paint which is standard with windows), post the picture of the cropped shot and we'll have a look see...

It is 6497 as site says but I think moded version here on sell on Watcheden.

http://www.watcheden.com/iwc-classics-moonphase-black-dial-with-custom-modified-unitas-6497-manual-movement-i-34876-p-1.html

picphpbv.jpg

Never seen one of theses either, i have had 50 to 52 hour out of asian 6498/7 in the past, but that is no 6498, 80 hours is a nice power reserve where is this from??

Just because its on some website it doesn't mean its the truth, take wikipedia for instance. It is not even remotely close to any form of a unitas movement.

It looks like a thin plate in the pictures added over the back

Yes that is right, I open my watch and there is thin plate over the movement, but unfortunately again I did not take pic`s from movement himself. Max power reserve what I got was 86 hour( fully winded). Don`t know how long-life that movement is but first(user) impression is - not bad.

It can be this movement:

http://www.ptsresources.com/watch_automatic_01.htm

Z2015 Mechanical Skeleton Watch Movement

copy/paste from other forum:

This movement was probably manufactured by the Liaocheng Watch Factory as it uses an identical keyless-works as their F-series open-heart. The design is probably owned by PTS rather than Liaocheng as the catalogue says "HK registered design application number 0802073.3"

PTS only claim ~72 hours for this one. So I reckon you're right that it probably has a couple of 40 hour springs. As these are working on the Favre-Leuba/Slava principle, they don't add up to 2 x 40 hours. The primary purpose of the double mainspring is to ensure that the spring delivering the power to the train remains 'full' for more than a day, ensuring auto-like torque consistancy even when the watch is left to wind down for a bit.

Edited by sul