When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vet.. still got your Oldies around

lanikai

I thought it'd be cool to see what the rep world was like back in the day... when reps were no where near what they are today..

robtk has some of the wildest looking reps .. I think out of all the members here he has a chronology of the "history of our hobby"

Or do you "Old School" members still have pics of some of your first projects ??

Stories of your first reps or projects ??.. in Hawaii we say...

"Let's talk story" :D

Post um if you got um please.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

Lani

Great idea Lani.

I'll lick it off with a shot of my first rep, acquired on the forums (TRC days)

It is a Cartier Quartz, purchased from TTK, and it would have been around 2001-2002, (The memory fails with age :rolleyes: )

This still "ticks" away happily in my box, (has had 2-3 new batteries)

post-13-125348529042_thumb.jpg

Purchase at around the same time was a Porsche Design. (Just went searching for a shot, but must have been discarded with a change of computers)

Memories of a time when we were all a lot more "innocent"

Offshore

Great idea Lani.

I'll lick it off with a shot of my first rep, acquired on the forums (TRC days)

It is a Cartier Quartz, purchased from TTK, and it would have been around 2001-2002, (The memory fails with age :rolleyes: )

This still "ticks" away happily in my box, (has had 2-3 new batteries)

post-13-125348529042_thumb.jpg

Purchase at around the same time was a Porsche Design. (Just went searching for a shot, but must have been discarded with a change of computers)

Memories of a time when we were all a lot more "innocent"

Offshore

Nostalgia is fun.. dials have sure come a long way.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks OS.. we gotta get robtk over here.. :)

L

'04 1680

1680.jpg

I bought this from Eddie Lee to replicate my old man's 1680. It was caught up in customs, on both sides of the pond. Eddie took care of all that with an apology and a ".........please do not freak out and start PayPal dispute.......I will take care of you." Oh. OK. "What's a PayPal dispute?" I didn't know [censored] from Shinola then. His (my Father's watch) is not a Red Sub, and without mods, comparing the two side by side, it is apparent, the exercise, was a total failure. I still have the watch tho'. And more importantly, a mental image of the Asian dealer on his motorbike, wearing an Elvis wig. In Canada. So, I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Well Demsey brings up Eddie so here are some of my favorite Eddie-ism's....

Asked him about his next project :lol:

His response included about 10 pictures of her

e6cdf77abb.jpg

my next project

is to clone an ideal lady

custom made to order

can be in 34d up to 47gg cup size.

sorry , no bracelet version, it will be either in sexy bikini or nothing.

Best regards

Ed

Sent from my Elite Wireless Handheld P.D.A.

When he was working on the launch of the first St. Exubery Pilot Chrono I noticed something strange about the dial :g:

p5020737.jpg

yes.....all have been resolved...

dilas have been corrected....

thx for the eagle vision....

And Ed was the one who brought us the customizable billboard :thumbsupsmileyanim:

sampe7f605bc831969b7.jpg

My first stainless steel Sub was the "King CN version". Watcher compared it to the gen in the old RWG and it was a real popular post. As a newbie I barely saw the flaws... it was almost perfect. These days people would laugh at that rep.

BigRedJoe and Palpatine were kings of the modding game. We had our own official "Turd polishers" in both Europe and the States.

Times have changed indeed.

A quick look back at the past 14 years of reps, per my experience.

Present Day, 2009: My gen TAG

NYphotoshoot1.jpg

Present Day, 2009: Rep TAG Link Chrono. ~$240. Photo courtesy of By-Tor

302798-1102.jpg

302798-1110.jpg

7 years back, 2002: TAG Link. Quartz. ~$120. Still keeping perfect time. Links are not two piece, and are thin. End links are formed into the case, not the bracelet. Mineral crystal, easily scratched.

DSC01038.jpg

DSC01041.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

7 years further back, 1995: TAG quartz rep (obviously dead). ~$60+ Photographed alongside previous model.

Bezel stamping is weak. Pearl is simply a dot of metal left in place. No "swiss made" markings on dial.

SDC12364.jpg

About the best quality part was the caseback, although how accurate it was I have no idea. It remains in similar condition to when it was new. However, look at the rear of the case itself. The base metal is showing.

SDC12367.jpg

The 2002 model has no plating. Full steel construction. The bracelet has a buttery feel to it. Inaccurate, but comfortable to wear.

SDC12368.jpg

Improvements to the pearl and bezel quality on the newer model. Old model, entirely plated. Stem rotted off.

SDC12370.jpg

Speaking of rotting, can you believe that bracelet?

SDC12369.jpg

Newer model has a higher quality put into the dial. Swiss made markings. Lume. Nice metalic black hue. Perfectly centered TAG hallmark.

SDC12365.jpg