When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Macro Pictorial review of Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver!

jot9011

First off let me say I'm really quite impressed with this watch. Although its not a super-rep , it is definitely is a quality piece

You have to excuse the quality of the photos. I'm no photographer and the pictures were taken with a handheld point and shoot camera

On with the photos:

picture011o.jpg

picture024hc.jpg

Some observations:

1.) The GEN looks like has a rather creamy looking dial in some pics but I think this is just a lighting effect. In reality I believe it looks close to the replica ( 2nd pic below) which has a grainy, silvery, shimmery appearance that's more apparent in macro mode:

2.) There are more, closely spaced waves on the GEN bezel and less on the replica

3.) The lume on the pearl and indices is greener in color on the GEN but appears whiter on the rep.

4.) The power reserve sub-dial is the same color as the dial on the GEN but is whiter on the the replica

5.) Depending on the lighting, the hands and indice surrounds change from dark blue to lighter iridescent blue. This is the same as the GEN

6.) When compared to the GEN, the replica blue indice surrounds are a tad bit fatter

GEN:

mmdo.jpg

GEN:

unmmdwhitedial4.jpg

REP:

picture030fr.jpg

AR is better than average....seems better than the MMD chrono. The crystal does disappear at certain angles. Still not up to Swiss or Chief standards though

picture027s.jpg

The concentric rings on the 6-oclock subdial are done well and the cyclops over the date looks close to the right magnification

But obviously, due to the movement difference, its position is a little lower on the dial

Dial printing looks a little sloppy (note the "6" in 1846) ...and may be a little lighter red than the GEN

picture031fa.jpg

Bracelet feels somewhat tinny with sharp edges....and needs to be worked a little. The diver's extension and clasp feel solid. (Excuse the blue film and glue on the bracelet).

picture038x.jpg

picture019l.jpg

The engraving on the clasp is pretty well done...but not quite as sharp as the GEN.

picture036cb.jpg

GEN:

unmmdclaspengraving.jpg

The plate for the serial # should be SS not brass

picture017qo.jpg

mmdserialgen.jpg

Crown...no thoughts

picture033xi.jpg

Obviously the GEN has a closed case back...so hopefully the factories will correct that flaw.

picture040ri.jpg

]

The lume is better than my picture implies, but pales in comparison with the torch-like GEN lume however it only lasts a few seconds before it fades:

picture014gm.jpg

GEN:

mmdlumegen.jpg

.......and the obligatory wristie:

picture012rs.jpg

Final thoughts.....although not 100% accurate, this is still a quality rep. I'm very happy with this for the price. If you're still on the fence....Go for it.

Very nice write up, and great macro shots, thanks!

I have this one on order after acquiring the Blue Surf on SS bracelet - really love it.

You are correct - the bracelet edges are some of the sharpest I've come across, def need some sanding down.

i had to stop at the first sentence and make a comment.

THIS IS A SUPER REP. jeez people, 3 yrs ago, everything but a panerai came in the same case.

AP, same case as a SUB, Same case as a Bell ross

i mean seriously, we were happy when they spelled everything right at least on the outside of the polex case

good photos- i don't think the num plate is brass, its the factory attempt at rose gold

Super or not super-rep...one thing's for sure...at that price? Super value!!

Yeah, these are awesome. You only hope that we get some more sensibly priced watches. I mean, seriously, how much could it cost to make the 45th variation on a big bang. its the Same F-in watch. why are they all 4 million dollars

Thanks for all the comments... The bracelet issue was bothering me and I have since sanded the sharp edges and gave it a good oiling. Makes a world of difference

The anchor on the dial is different, too.

Great photo's.

The anchor looks to be the same size and shape to me. If there are any discrepancies the font size is so small, there is no way you could discern a difference ....even with 200/20 vision...

anchormmdzoom.png

anchormmdrep.jpg

Very nice review mate, thanks a lot. I'm holding out for the gray dial to be released, but failing that I'll get this one when I can't wait any longer.

Can I ask what you used to sand down the bracelet edges with? A couple of my bracelets could use a little less sharp edges, but I'm not quite sure what to use.

Thanks for the pics. This is a great deal for the price.

Two questions though: In some photos the dial looks white, but in others (and in your description) it appears shiny and silvery. Does it look white in person? is this the factories version of the Rhodium dial (if not, hopefully that'll be coming soon)?

Very nice review mate, thanks a lot. I'm holding out for the gray dial to be released, but failing that I'll get this one when I can't wait any longer.

Can I ask what you used to sand down the bracelet edges with? A couple of my bracelets could use a little less sharp edges, but I'm not quite sure what to use.

Looking forward to the Rhodium dial too as well as the RG/black dial model. As far as the bracelet is concerned, I used a fine sandpaper this time ...but I have used a Dremel in the past.

I see Joshua has just released a couple of the newer models with the wave dial and Black/orange bezel. Meh....

8.jpg bezel

Looking forward to the Rhodium dial too as well as the RG/black dial model. As far as the bracelet is concerned, I used a fine sandpaper this time ...but I have used a Dremel in the past.

I see Joshua has just released a couple of the newer models with the wave dial and Black/orange bezel. Meh....

Thanks mate, sand paper it is then.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like the orange bezelled newly released one. I saw it at the AD it was really quite striking. A lot of these things don't seem so hot until you get them in your hands and see how the light plays off the thing, the scale...all that.

I had a feeling you might like this piece Toad. I know that you thought the dial might be to bussy at first. I really like mine and Im sure that If you get one that you will feel the same as I do. :) Mike

• 2 weeks later...