When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you feel about Polls?

Ronin

7 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about polls on forums?

• I like them, they are fun.
    • I am neutral. Don't care one way or the other.
    • I hate them! They are like forum spam.

As someone who has been online since the 1980's... BBS's first, then the internet. I am no stranger to seeing polls in forums. I have noticed some forums seem to have many, and others, like RWG, seem to have very few.

In the last week, there has been an increase in polls. Good? Bad? Indifferent?

My .02, I like them as long as they are on-topic or relevant to theme/subject matter of the forum. However, too many and they can seem like spam. :g: Hmmmm...

Chime in. Just curious what the current attitude toward polls is.

Polls posing hackneyed questions like 'Which color do you like?', or 'Which watch should I get?' or (from newbies) 'Who has the best......?' or 'How do you wear your watch?' got old the 200th time they were posted. Used wisely, polls asking provocative & compelling questions can be fun & a great way to spread or gather new &/or useful information. But, when used superfluously, they are boring, tedious & a waste of time/space.

Polls posing hackneyed questions like 'Which color do you like?', or 'Which watch should I get?' or (from newbies) 'Who has the best......?' or 'How do you wear your watch?' got old the 200th time they were posted. Used wisely, polls asking provocative & compelling questions can be fun & a great way to spread or gather new &/or useful information. But, when used superfluously, they are boring, tedious & a waste of time/space.

+1

They appear to be a very hard working race. Many of them come here to work doing unpopular jobs for a couple of years, and then usually go back to Poland.

:lol:

one thing i think can be misleading about polls is that a lot of times the results can be skewed by the type of person that is likely to take the time to respond to the poll, and therefore isn't a representative sample...i'm having a hard time thinking of a good example this morning; hopefully someone else can chime in and give more color on my train of thought...

deltatahoe

I hit a pole once with my 4x4 pickup .. it was a short pole and it damaged my rear bumper.. other than that I have not had a problem with them.. 8)

A lot of NFL lineman have Polish last names.. they are genetically very large .. but I have trouble pronouncing their last names.. :p

Interesting. I have to say +1 @Freddy333.

As I mentioned, they seem to have lost favor over the years, seemed most popular in the late 90's. I do see a higher frequency of polls over at the Geek.

+1 to Ammandel judging by the 6 total votes at this time of writing, you may be on to something.