When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How quick things can go wrong

arniezac

This could be the plot to some sort of rep-based disaster movie..........read on and try not to laugh, tut or shake your head in disbelief.

I wanted to remove the bezel so I could polish out some scratches aswell as tighten up the ratchet spring a bit. Inserting a knife between bezel and case I began to ease them apart, it got to the stage where it did not want to move any further so I thought I would leave it and push it back on. It would not go back on, so, perhaps it was best to remove it after all. I eventually got the bezel to part from the case, but as it released, the crystal fell out too :shock:

I polished up the bezel and adjusted the ratchet spring and thought I'd decase the movement as I needed to refit the crystal.

After I had put the crystal back, I went to put the bezel on. It had took so much force to remove it, I had actually bent the bezel out of shape. Plus ,the inner spring was also mishapen. Oh bother,I said to myself.

After a bit of persuasion I managed to flatten out the bezel and spring to what seemed acceptable and tried to put them on the case. No way. Just not flat enough, I've ruinned them. :(

So, as I put the movement back in , one of the bars holding the dial to the movement broke and the movement swung out pulling off the hands. :angry::angry:

I put the hands back on and finally recased the movement, set the time ,pushed the stem in and now the watch won't work, nothing ,nada. :angry::angry::angry:

I've posted an 'I want to buy' for a bezel. As for the movement , I don't know yet. Its a gen ETA so its worth saving I guess but its something I can't do.

Just not in the mood to do anything right now .

I've had the Midas Touch touch today except everything I touch turns out s**t :lol:

Thanks for your post arniezac. I like to think I have taken it in the spirit in which it was posted. That is to say I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. :drinks: As mentioned above, I just love the way every move you made resulted in another more serious problem, especially when the hands few off. :lol: It reads like a professional script.

I think most of us have tried things with watches that have gone terribly wrong. It surprising how fast hastily removed hands can go pinging over you left shoulder and disappear into the next dimension.

I hope things work out for you, if they don't you can always cheers yourself up via the contemplation of your next purchase.

I hope things work out for you, if they don't you can always cheers yourself up via the contemplation of your next purchase.

I already have one on order since last week and have promised myself not to mess. :nea:

Who am I kidding, I've been taking things apart since I was a kid and I can't see myself changing.

Usually, they do go back together though , and most of the time there are no parts left over, and occasionally they even still work :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I will get the 'ol UPO sorted eventually, its too good to leave in a draw gathering dust.

Who am I kidding, I've been taking things apart since I was a kid and I can't see myself changing.

Heh, I know exactly what you mean arniezac, I always pulled my toy apart when I was a kid. I'm on holiday's atm and I'm still doing it. I've got the head off my classic car for a valve grind. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Tinkering Rules

I've made some enquires and can get a complete UPO bezel assembly. Here's the rub, I can only get one if I order a new, complete case,crystal and caseback. It all comes as one.

Triplehd, I've pm'd you regarding your offer, just awaiting a reply mate.

Does anybody have a complete UPO bezel lying around . I know its rare,and harder to swap a UPO bezel to gen, but I know some of us have done it.

I just need to make sure I can't get one from the community ,before I bite the bullet and order a complete case-set.

Cheers everyone. :D