When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your Help Is Requested

chris5264

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris - I couldn't reach the results of your last survey - my PC chose that moment to hang up. Could you repost the link, please?

Sure,,,here is the link to the results of the original study. I also have all the specific statistical results (ex. probability values from various statistical tests) available on request.

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/christopher.niebauer/results.pdf

Were thepurists not cooperating this time?

Oh no,,,they have been very cool. I just wanted a different sample, i.e., I would like the full spectrum of watch enthusiasts. I would like all those that spend from a 100 (usd) to 100,000. I’m trying to get at what it is about watches that fascinates us, independent of money.

answered & looking forward to the results

Perhaps this will explain it...............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I had to do was say that I could see five lights when in fact there were only four."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That swung it for me!

JTB

• 2 weeks later...
What does experimental psychologist means?!? :lol:

M.

There are two types of psychologist, some try to help people (like my wife) and are clinical psychologists. Others, like myself are just trying to figure out how the mind works (sometimes even the mind of those afflicted with obsessive hobbies). We do research, experiments and studies trying to solve the problems we find interesting so people call us experimental psychologist. For example, I can tell you that the data from this study so far, has yielded some interesting things behind our obsession. I hope to share these findings soon.

And, Thanks to the over 200 people that took part in this study so far.

There are two types of psychologist, some try to help people (like my wife) and are clinical psychologists. Others, like myself are just trying to figure out how the mind works (sometimes even the mind of those afflicted with obsessive hobbies). We do research, experiments and studies trying to solve the problems we find interesting so people call us experimental psychologist. For example, I can tell you that the data from this study so far, has yielded some interesting things behind our obsession. I hope to share these findings soon.

And, Thanks to the over 200 people that took part in this study so far.

Subject number 2** thanks for your explanation. :)

• 3 weeks later...

What an interesting result! I am amazed at how easily I fit into the larger percentile of people who are considered WISes.

Yes, I do use both my left hand and right at the same time (I play piano)--and I have a stringent requirement for automatics only due to sheer fascination of the movement and the intrinsic joy of knowing that one of mankinds mechanical marvels is sitting on my wrist..

I am too self-reflective sometimes it bugs me

... uh oh I'm starting to sound like chris' paper ;)

But, it is indeed an interesting study--best of luck to you Chris!

• 2 weeks later...
I am an experimental psychologist and am currently conducting a study on the mind of the watch enthusiast. In this study, you will be asked several questions concerning your preference for watches and your opinions on several topics. Your participation is completely anonymous. While general comments are welcome, I would ask that you hold off on comments that might bias those that have not participated. When this project is completed, I will post a link where you may read the results. This study has been approved by the research ethics committee at Slippery Rock University where I am a psychology professor. My sincere thanks for your time and to the forum for allowing me to post this. To participate in an online questionnaire, please go to

http://freeonlinesurveys.com/start.asp?sid...qo606lyhq204909

thanks,

chris,

NOTE: Please only selection responses with words next to them. For a few questions, there are responses without any text, please do not choose these. Thanks.

Ha Ha ... right.

Way to go.. RWG has it's own Dr Sacks!... Or are you more of a Ramachandran :)

LOL, actually I'm a huge fan of Ramachandran. In fact, most of my work is just a take on one of his ideas. In fact, I need to get back to this project, about 250 people took part in the survey and I need to get on it instead of playing around with my panerai's.

Yes.. Ramachandran is very good. It's unusual for a neuroscientist to be endowed with charisma.. and the ability to describe the innermost workings of the brain in terms that the layman can understand !

You'll need to retrain your limbic system and get back to decoding this survey, rather than lazily experiencing the dopamine surge from fiddling about with that rambo watch!

Get Back to work!

• 1 month later...

Chris5264, I have just taken this test as the link is still open, despite the post previous to mine being in October 06. Your survey results although based on anonymous responses reflects inferences based on Gender, Educational Achievement, and also Social Status (IMHO).

Will there be any attempt in future studies to introduce geographic, national, or even racial characteristics (if that is the right term) as key identifiers or differentiators in Watch enthusiasts. I ask this question as one of the things that struck me in taking this survey is that you treat Watch enthusiasts as a homegeneous group. Or is that the point?

I look forward to reading the results of your latest survey.

Regards

Blandford

My wife got her first BS in Psychology before she changed gears and moved to philosophy, so we always try to do surveys. This one in particular i jumped at when i saw it. Good luck with the study.

Thanks,,,,the study is still open and I will not formally look at the results until dec. at which time I will post the results. It's a friday and I've had way too much wine to respond coherently but a results section will soon follow. BTW,,,the results of my first study was actually published online by science and consciousness review...http://www.sci-con.org/

• 3 months later...