When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Analysis of a screwdriver.

offshore

One of the focuses on my recent trip to China, was to try source the best screwdriver set I could find. (Cost vs Quality) As drivers are the most used and abused tool on the bench, I thought it may be of interest, to analyse my thought processes and pre requisites.

I have some personal

I can relate. I just went though the same dilemma with purchasing new set. I settled on the Horotec drivers in a wood box as my machinist mentality kicks in and reverts back to me all wood tool box. I just feel precision tool require a nicely crafted home to rest in.

Regarding stainless steel blades without getting into a metallurgical breakdown, I would advise against them. 316L SS is typical surgical grade some times you find 440. Stainless is great for holding a sharp edge, but not so much when putting a axial load on it, like the case with a screw driver. Harden steel is a better option. They are brittle, but are tougher and do a better job to hold the edge. :drinks:

Nice writeup! But sometimes I wonder if we don't tend to overanalyze problems?

For example, here is my set of screwdrivers. They come in various sizes, and when gentle persuasion fails you can always use the second technique (other side) to get the screws tight.

Nanuq's Screwdriver Set

As a technical engineer, I always had Wiha tools for working on small projects. They are outstanding. Unfortunately, they just don't make a slotted blade driver any smaller than 0.8mm. I did see a nano sized one (once) that was 0.5mm but I haven't seen one since. They have a rounded top, but the shaft is somewhat squared off a little bit for a superb grip and it prevents the driver from rolling around on the bench. This is my ideal screwdriver and if I could find a micro set of these from 0.5mm to 1.5mm, I would be very happy!

mfg260%20series.jpg

Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagging this back on topic (sorry, O/S) is it true that a good slot-head screwdriver will have vertical and parallel sides where the bit end begins?

The ever-wise Grampaw Nanuq used to tell me you use a stone and oil to square up and thin the tips of your screwdrivers once in awhile so they "bite" better. It seems to work for me.