When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Motor swapping- Making a Portuguese Chrono 3714 reliable

ubiquitous

I've always admired the IWC Portuguese Chronograph, a simple and elegant 2 register chrono design with leaf hands, but found myself always shying away from this watch; the A7750 mod seconds at 6:00 in the rep has always been notorious for it's reliability issues, and buying a gen wasn't the highest priority on my to-do list. Not because it wasn't worthy (it most certainly is), but rather because there was always something more... Or maybe less dressy for me to want.

When Concepta starting offering gen movements for IWC's, things got pretty interesting. When Bricciola started modifying rep cases to accept the gen 79350 movement, things became even more interesting. So, after some inquiries, contemplation and some commitment, I went forward with securing my own modified Port Chrono :) The next few weeks would prove to be an exercise in patience.

Now, usually I like to build my own projects, however the rep case needs to be machined down on a lathe to precision spec in order to facilitate fit of the movement; a task that's beyond my ability or tool set, so Bricciola was asked to handle the handywork. Below are some pics of the process. I have to say, it's a rare day when I'm on this side of project, but the anticipation made this a fun endeavor.

3714-2.jpg

3714-3.jpg

3714-1.jpg

3714-4.jpg

3714-6.jpg

3714-7.jpg

And in my hands... Sorry for the poor pics; rainy day here today. Better pics will be taken on the next sunny day :)

IMG_7987.jpg

IMG_7996.jpg

IMG_8019.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg

IMG_7990.jpg

Still trying to figure out what kind of strap I want to use with this; color, style, texture, etc. Since I usually wear my watches on bracelet, this might take me a while to figure out what combo to go with... :wounded1:

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

You had me at picture 3. :wub:

Un-freaking-believable! :shock:

I hope that IWC realizes the passion we have for their watches. Whether we may be sporting gens or reps on our wrists, we LOVE IWC WATCHES! This shows true passion. Its not just some guy hacking together a fake. Its a passionate watchmaker. Bravo!

Great post, ubiquitous! :clapping:

Edited by Gatchaman

Very nice set you got there.

As Chief said, I would put an all black croc on it.

I have a black croc with white stitch for it but for some reason, I think that the all black one looks better.

Did you have any problems fitting the rep hand on the gen movement?

Still waiting for that AP ;-$

Domi put gen hands on this one!

great job mate!

I've just received the gen 79350 as well,

and trying to find someone local who can handle the job..

A few questions for ya..

Looking at the crown, it seems the crown position has not been

changed as in previous Sander's mod..

what was done to accept the gen movement

without drilling out the crown hole?

Did Domi shorten the pushers as well?

I've always thought the rep pushers looked longer compared to the gen pics..

B.

I have bought 3 reps of the 3714 - 2x 3714-17 1x 3714-01 versions

over the last 2 years from stores in Vietnam & Thailand. I also have also bought a 3714-64 from a member here that was supposedly reliable. All dead within months

Enroute as we speak is a modded 3714-17 with a gen movement fitted. The watchmaker adjusted the rep case & hands to fit plus a gen crown is fitted. I will post pics when it arrives but I have on-sold it to a friend.

I now have a 3714-17 and a 3714-01 on the boil. These will be rep cases modded for gen movements; gen dial & hands & gen crown. The only other task will be dubbleAR. The straps have yet to be confirmed but am leaning towards Hamilton Iguana's as I dont care to pass it off as a gen.

Yes .... it is a relatively costly process but I reckon it is 3x cheaper than a used gen with no guarantee & as this is my grail watch it is worth it. Note also that it has been very difficult to get gen parts for IWC in general so I took advantage of the current possibilities. He who hesitates misses out

A quick aside on this process --- patience is a necessity. I started the original project in late June and it will arrive this week. The people who did this job were at their first attempt so I expect my next projects to be a faster proposition & for others following this route also a benefit.

A lot of the peeps offering services on here seem to operate on the "it's my 2nd job" principle and it can take quite some time for replies to pm's. My teeth have been ground down a lot

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words one and all. I spent the better part of yesterday admiring my new Port, and I have to say that I am quite smitten :wub:

There are a few things that I think I might change over time; a gen dial would be nice to have, as well as chief AR. The only gen parts on the watch right now are the movement, and I believe the hands, so a gen dial would make for a very nice match to these parts.

One thing I have noticed about this watch- It is very difficult to capture in photos! That big domed crystal reflects everything... AR should fix that.

IMG_8051.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a cheapie black on black strap; I wanted to test the waters with the color combo, and I also needed something to at least get me through until I can get a proper strap fitted :) But at least I can finally put my gen buckle to use!

IMG_8062.jpg

:)

Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated.

//ubi

Thanks for the kind words one and all. I spent the better part of yesterday admiring my new Port, and I have to say that I am quite smitten :wub:

There are a few things that I think I might change over time; a gen dial would be nice to have, as well as chief AR. The only gen parts on the watch right now are the movement, and I believe the hands, so a gen dial would make for a very nice match to these parts.

One thing I have noticed about this watch- It is very difficult to capture in photos! That big domed crystal reflects everything... AR should fix that.

IMG_8051.jpg

Yesterday I picked up a cheapie black on black strap; I wanted to test the waters with the color combo, and I also needed something to at least get me through until I can get a proper strap fitted :) But at least I can finally put my gen buckle to use!

IMG_8062.jpg

:)

Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated.

//ubi

I have tried all night to take pics off the black one..it

Is a gen dial on this one really an enormous improvement? I think the Chieftang AR will be the best option at the stage you are now at. I also have the chieftang AR on my portuguese and it looks awesome. The movement, the modded A7750 I have had it serviced, complete overhaul by my local watch guy who serviced orginal IWC portuguese as well. It runs better now, but of course still the jerky seconds hand because of the 5 gears train.

Strap I got from HKTAN, all black croco. Is really great.

Thanks for the great post.