When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Buy Replicas Of Gens That You Adore?

dabom

Do you buy replicas of genuines that you own and adore? For example, if you had a treasured genuine and there was a fair replica of it out there - would you buy it, or would you think that would diminish your enjoyment of the real thing. Typically I buy replicas of watches I wouldn't buy in real-life. The genuines that are good enough to make me plonk down coin would appeal to me for the quality, and therefore it would be weird to me to buy a replica of something I already appreciate. How about you?

No, I buy gens of replicas I've "owned." Reps affords me an economical way of trying them first without wasting money on a gen I might lose interest in later or have remorse for purchasing. Therefore it becomes a studied purchase instead of a on-a-whim purchase. :whistling:

No, I buy gens of replicas I've "owned." Reps affords me an economical way of trying them first without wasting money on a gen I might lose interest in later or have remorse for purchasing. Therefore it becomes a studied purchase instead of a on-a-whim purchase. :whistling:

My feelings exactly. This is a nice way of test-driving a watch.

Still, I do like the ones that I would never get in a genuine - two examples:

The old subs have a great look and feel to them, with the domed crystals and the nice patina. It's a very comfortable feeling to wear them, especially if you've modded them. But there is no way I would ever buy a 1958 genuine bond sub and wear it like I do my rep. Most of the guys that can afford something like that keep it in a glass case in their den and show all their buddies when they come over. Even If I could get one, the fear of dinging it on something would take all of the fun out of wearing it.

Second, I've fallen in love with Panerai. They have a great heft and imposing look to them. They are also huge and run a much higher risk of falling from favour in a few years. I can handle keeping my big 80s Wayfarers in my drawer for 15 years until they come back into vogue, but I don't want a 5kusd watch gathering dust in my watch box because it looks ridiculous by 2015 standards.

There are so many reasons to buy these things that one could justify the purchase from most any angle. I just buy the ones I like and have fun while they're still available.

Interesting answers. I guess the next question would be:

If you buy a replica to testdrive a watch, and then buy the genuine because you like the replica - what do you do with the replica? It's basically the same question as what I was asking, but from a different perspective.

The replica was so nice, that it made you want the genuine. So obviously you appreciate the genuine to a high degree and that would never compare with the feeling of a replica right? So what do you do with the replica?

No I would not buy a rep of a gen I already own. What is the point? Unless you own a real red sub or some other rare piece that is appreciating in value you may as well wear the gen. After all, since finding this forum I no longer have to pay AD repair prices to repair the gens and I know they are fixed properly.

I also have not bought a gen based on a rep. But if I add up what I have spent on reps I could be wearing any number of gens. :lol: Then again I wouldn't have that wonderful choice of WM's, MBW's, DW's, Original Movement PAM's, Breitlings, VC's, etc. ;)

I wont buy the gens. the reason is:

I use to buy gens, but then , there are many occasins I wouldnt want to

wear my $ 2000 gen everyday.

1 )where as I can wear my rep sub, and pams to work and wont fear of damage or scratch.

2) Now the reps cost is less than gen, so I can afford to have a lot more watches then

I am use to.

By the way, not everybody comments on the type of watches I wear. So really at the

end of the day, u have to be happy at what u wear.

Sadly, they don't make good reps of most of the gens i adore--PAM 082, 120, or any anthricite dial, muller automatic chronos, JLC dress watches, Glasshuttes, etc. But they make enough good reps of watches i like alot, that I only have 3 gens out of as many as 20 watches at a time.

My personal rule is this: never buy a gen of watch that is decently repped and never buy a replica of a gen that can't be decently repped.

Sadly, they don't make good reps of most of the gens i adore--PAM 082, 120, or any anthricite dial, muller automatic chronos, JLC dress watches, Glasshuttes, etc. But they make enough good reps of watches i like alot, that I only have 3 gens out of as many as 20 watches at a time.

My personal rule is this: never buy a gen of watch that is decently repped and never buy a replica of a gen that can't be decently repped.

What level of detail are you going to? The IWC Portuguese might look a little convincing, but if you open it up you can tell straight away, plus the movement is highly modified (for example the replica sub-seconds hand is unlikely to be jeweled). Some Panerais on the other hand are very close the original and even the movement looks convincing.

So when you say "decently repped" are you referring to the outside, or inside too? I have a rep of an Explorer 2 which is extremely close on the outside, but it still wouldn't compare to the original on the inside. It's the same with a kit car - the kit might look like a lamborghini on the outside, but one look under the hood and you'll know for sure.

Watch companies like Tag Heuer & Breitling might make almost no modifications to the movement, but companies like Panerai, IWC and Rolex have very recognizably different movements. When you say "decently repped" are you considering what's under the hood?

Interesting answers. I guess the next question would be:

If you buy a replica to testdrive a watch, and then buy the genuine because you like the replica - what do you do with the replica? It's basically the same question as what I was asking, but from a different perspective.

The replica was so nice, that it made you want the genuine. So obviously you appreciate the genuine to a high degree and that would never compare with the feeling of a replica right? So what do you do with the replica?

Agreed, reps never can compare with the feeling of the gen. so I give them (the reps) away as gifts and never sell them. I don't keep the reps around as a banger spare. I just don't have the $$$$$ fear of gens getting scratch from everyday wear. Afterall, I drive $$$$ cars everyday to work and don't keep them in the garage afraid of dings. As you say, a different perspective.

What level of detail are you going to? The IWC Portuguese might look a little convincing, but if you open it up you can tell straight away, plus the movement is highly modified (for example the replica sub-seconds hand is unlikely to be jeweled). Some Panerais on the other hand are very close the original and even the movement looks convincing.

So when you say "decently repped" are you referring to the outside, or inside too? I have a rep of an Explorer 2 which is extremely close on the outside, but it still wouldn't compare to the original on the inside. It's the same with a kit car - the kit might look like a lamborghini on the outside, but one look under the hood and you'll know for sure.

Watch companies like Tag Heuer & Breitling might make almost no modifications to the movement, but companies like Panerai, IWC and Rolex have very recognizably different movements. When you say "decently repped" are you considering what's under the hood?

How many times would you be opening up the gen to check the movt unless it has a display back? Of course a lot of the reps movts are not the same as the gen - PAM's are an exception since they use mostly movts that are commonly available to the watch market in general which means the rep makers can buy them too.

I buy rep PAM's because I cannot afford (well not true as what I have spent on reps could have easily bought me a gen) or justify the expense on a gen that has a $70 movt!! After modding them a bit they really are indistinguishable from the real thing!! But were I to buy a gen I could really only afford one - with the reps I can have 20 or so - which is what I have!!

Do you buy replicas of genuines that you own and adore? For example, if you had a treasured genuine and there was a fair replica of it out there - would you buy it, or would you think that would diminish your enjoyment of the real thing. Typically I buy replicas of watches I wouldn't buy in real-life. The genuines that are good enough to make me plonk down coin would appeal to me for the quality, and therefore it would be weird to me to buy a replica of something I already appreciate. How about you?

Nope.

I have reps that I'd like to have gens of (Subs, SDs, Pam28, Pam29) and I could have gens of all of them for the money I have spent on reps, but reps intrigue me - the counterfeiters art is fascinating. Besides. if you own a Pam rep with the genuine movement, wouldn't you feel like a ripped off putz paying all that money for the gen?

Maybe it's the last vestige of rebelliousness in a guy getting old, maybe it's the Walter Mitty opportunity to legally participate in an otherwise criminal activity, maybe it's resentment that the Swiss Cartels have practiced outrageous artificial price controls . . . maybe it's just that most other hobbies bore me.

I dunno, but to me, the bottom line is this - there is no law that says I cannot collect these things, I like them, and I can afford them, so I see no reason to stress myself trying to figure out why.

post-223-1156560822_thumb.jpg

While it's true that the reps are not truly a match for the gens, when you consider that I bought that entire box for about what Uncle Rollie expects me to pay for the genuine version of the least expensive one of them, that's pretty damn ridiculous.

I guess I just like thumbing my nose at Uncle Rollie.

:bleh:

Bill

Nope.

I have reps that I'd like to have gens of (Subs, SDs, Pam28, Pam29) and I could have gens of all of them for the money I have spent on reps, but reps intrigue me - the counterfeiters art is fascinating. Besides. if you own a Pam rep with the genuine movement, wouldn't you feel like a ripped off putz paying all that money for the gen?

Maybe it's the last vestige of rebelliousness in a guy getting old, maybe it's the Walter Mitty opportunity to legally participate in an otherwise criminal activity, maybe it's resentment that the Swiss Cartels have practiced outrageous artificial price controls . . . maybe it's just that most other hobbies bore me.

I dunno, but to me, the bottom line is this - there is no law that says I cannot collect these things, I like them, and I can afford them, so I see no reason to stress myself trying to figure out why.

While it's true that the reps are not truly a match for the gens, when you consider that I bought that entire box for about what Uncle Rollie expects me to pay for the genuine version of the least expensive one of them, that's pretty damn ridiculous.

Bill

Great post Bill. Almost entirely my thoughts. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hate explainning myself to these questions. I bought the gens which I have reps of because of the connection I have for the watch and the brand. Some people think it is not justifyable (costs of the gen watch way cheaper and we are getting ripped off buying gen - should stick to reps, etc). All I do is to go with how I feel. At the end of the day, as long as I feel happy and satisfied, that is all that matters. The rest, whichever reasons it may be, are just [censored], nothing more.

I dont owe anyone any explanation as to why I chose to do what I did. (Not directing at you dabom or anyone)

And it is too complex to explain it all into words. Heck, I have issues justifying to myself and have long given up. So dont even think for a second there that I will waste anymore of my brain cells justifying them into words here. :lol:

ps/ what I have discovered in buying reps is that I am much happier owning a few quality reps than a bunch of reps which I can show off to but hardly have the time to wear them. I dunno how this sentence come about or how it relates to the topic but what the heck. I simply just want to point that out, that's all. :lol:

Either I buy the gen or the rep. No "test drive" for me. Here is why :

- Either the rep is shity and does not represent the gen well. It's the case of my Master Control rep, which looks so crapy that I don't even wear it. What a waste, even if it cost less than $100. But still I would get the gen if I could (I tried it at an AD but its over 4000 € and not on my priority list

- Or the rep is so good that... I would regret spending for the rep !!

The gen I buy shall make sense though: not or badly replicated; have something valuable inside... best exemple is Zenith (their EL Primero is a marvel and they are not replicated); a gen Moonwatch is also really worth it imho; etc.

The topic is kinda complex to answer but as Quarks clearly stated his word for not owing anyone any explanations with what he did or indulgenge with reps, thus the same goes with me :) I'll never get a perfect rep for the genuine that I owned but will continue to buy perfectly cloned piece especially those vintage rollies and Panerai :wub: I've owned genuine Panny and still hard to swallow on why it costs so much( a basic ETA 6497 decorated movement ) for few grands? I'd love to buy more as long as it's perfectly cloned and iluminate like a torch just like the genuine :wub:

My philosophy is simple, Gen is a Gen and not even a clone could matched that quality came with the genuine i.e; the warranty issue, aftersales service and relationship....see my point? Peace of mind :wub: Oooops.......please exclude Panerai as they're really sucks in their sales as well as service :thumbdown:

that's some box you have there - looks like it costs more than the watches!

Nope.

Bill

Very interesting topic. I think Quarks has it right, you really don't need to waste brain cells to explain your reasons for rep. buying, its all personal feelings. Besides the original question was would you buy a rep of a gen you "owned"? I answered the question only for the specifics of my personal situation, not anyone elses. I'm "interested" in a lot of watches and am fascinated by horology, that's all.

But I add a question out there for the rep. collectors that may back my "test-drive" practice;

"How many reps have you purchased that after putting on your wrist and wearing for a while you weren't all that excited about, not because of the rep quality but because of the kind of watch it was, size or shape?"

Examples for me have been Omega BroadArrow, loved the beauty of the dial in pics and at AD "try-on", but after a month I hated the look "on me", seemed so bland and boring.

Breitling Navitimer - being a geek at heart, the gadget feature of the slide rule bezel was the draw, except with my failing eyesight I found I had to use a loupe to work and that just took all the fun and enthusiasm out of it for this model.

For those gens that have no reps, you're stuck with visiting ADs to cop a short feel.

I buy rep PAM's because I cannot afford (well not true as what I have spent on reps could have easily bought me a gen) or justify the expense on a gen that has a $70 movt!! After modding them a bit they really are indistinguishable from the real thing!! But were I to buy a gen I could really only afford one - with the reps I can have 20 or so - which is what I have!!

Agreed, I cannot justify the amount of money a genuine handwind Pam would cost. I'd love the genuine PAM192, but on my low pay there's no chance.

I do have a genuine Zenith El Primero though, and that movement is not getting repped any time soon.

I am 59 and had a lot of hobbies over the years. I have always collected things and still do but watches are relatively new to me. Since the beginning of this year, I have bought about 20 of them and love them all. No hobby has provided as much pleasure as reps. But I could never afford 20 gens. I guess for what I have spent this year I could have bought 'one' Gen but then as already stated in this thread...

But were I to buy a gen I could really only afford one - with the reps I can have 20 or so - which is what I have!!

I don't try to analyze the why I do this - it is just fun and satisfying. Every day has a little something extra in it when I select the watch I will wear. If a conversation starts over what I am wearing it feels good to talk about them. There is no practical or logical side to this. It is purely emotional and thus a little outside of explanation.

My wife, god bless her, has never complained about the watches I buy. Life is good.

Usil

Actually we are all wasting brain cells. We are responding here. :bangin: Just remember:

A rep is not a rep. A gen is not a gen. A watch is a watch. Some are put together better than others though. :lol:

And by the way any watch regularly serviced by a good watchsmith is most likely better than its counterpart. :)

What does this have to do with the topic? No idea. :3a:

I am 59 and had a lot of hobbies over the years. I have always collected things and still do but watches are relatively new to me. Since the beginning of this year, I have bought about 20 of them and love them all. No hobby has provided as much pleasure as reps. But I could never afford 20 gens. I guess for what I have spent this year I could have bought 'one' Gen but then as already stated in this thread...

I don't try to analyze the why I do this - it is just fun and satisfying. Every day has a little something extra in it when I select the watch I will wear. If a conversation starts over what I am wearing it feels good to talk about them. There is no practical or logical side to this. It is purely emotional and thus a little outside of explanation.

My wife, god bless her, has never complained about the watches I buy. Life is good.

Usil

Great post. You enjoy this as a hobby, pure and simple. No further explanation needed. Good for you.