When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The New Black

freddy333

Interesting!

I was reading elsewhere that recent trends in Italy have been for even bigger watches than we've had in recent times, so given they are generally near the forefront of fashion, who knows what's going to happen! :)

I was having a discussion the other day about predicting which watches will be good investments - should you go for the limited editions that no-on really likes now and therefore sell badly, in the hope that they will be worth more for rarity value in the future? Or should you just buy a classic piece and look after it, rather than having a safe queen that you never wear because it's fugly? lol :lol:

Edited by Member X

..........should you go for the limited editions that no-on really likes now and therefore sell badly, in the hope that they will be worth more for rarity value in the future? Or should you just buy a classic piece and look after it, rather than having a safe queen that you never wear because it's fugly? lol :lol:

Since I began collecting (early 80s), I have seen fashions/trends come & go. But the 1 constant has been that any Patek & most traditional Rolex models have maintained or gained in value, while just about everything else ultimately fails in the long-term.

I don't buy watches (Gen or Rep) as an investment. I buy them to wear them, as a piece of mobile beauty.

It's the same with wine: Why buying wine you want to resell for more. I buy it for the drinking pleasure, for complementing good food and good company. Investment strategy kills of the soul in it for me.

I might invest in bonds or something. Made for reselling only.

Just my 2 cents.

Val.

I'm going to go the opposite way... When we start to see the first economic indicators turn positive, I predict that the trend will be towards even bigger, gaudier pieces - as a means to say "I am the first out of the recession!", or "The Dark Ages are over!"

I could see that amongst hardcore WIS's, and possibly some hipster >30 year olds. The hipster's will probably just download the Breitling iPhone application though. <_<

I think, downturn continuing, the trend will be more towards the Movado, Rado, Hamilton, Tissot's etc. for the population at large who actually care enough to buy a ~nice~ watch.

Only downside to going vintage for econimic reasons is-- how much more will you need to spend to get the old movements serviced on top of the selling price. My AD is getting $500-600 to service a 1570. :mellow:

Interesting to think about though.

I have to admit, I have previously thought that DDs/DJs to be a little on the small side, but, having seen the Rhodium dialled DJ I got my wife a while back (replacement to hopefully arrive soon) I think that it's probably a size I could get used to wearing, and if I wanted a real 'sleeper' watch, a DJ would be my choice. Subs/GMTs have the more luminous dials which I find easier to read, but, they're not really 'smart' watches. Yacht-Masters are certainly smarter than Submariners, but still more in the 'bling' range than 'classic elegance', and I think that's where the DJs truly come into their own :good:

I have a 1999 TT DJ gold dial with roman numerals in perfect new condition. Whats it worth? (not for sale)

Somewhere between the upper 2s & lower 3s, depending on condition, time since last service & provenance. TTs are the most popular version of men's DJs &, with the current economic conditions, there is a bit of a glut on the market.