When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doxa has me again

chris5264

I've had a few doxa's in the past, 750t pro, two 1000t pros and a 1000t carr but always sell these off for some reason. Then a few months go by and I need them back again. This time I ended up selling off two gens...a practially new 42mm PO and a seamaster 2254 but ended up with some funds. 1,000 (usd) went for a 600t which will arive today :) I have to decide to go vintage (I can pick up a vintage 300t serviced and lumed by jack a few years ago) or a 5000t which is doxa state of the art....Just can't decide,,,which the vintage 300t had a screw down crown...seems like the biggest problem...any thoughts???

Definitely vintage. Get the watch from back when Doxa was a Swiss maker and did it the right way. Now they're mass produced Chinese watches and aren't worth near the asking prices. They want to trade on the cachet of the Doxa name, but are no better than an Invicta, IMNSHO.

If you want to use it for diving, go with the 5000. It's pretty tough and if it floods and you break it, no big loss. But if you want it because it's gorgeous and has the Sixties Jacques Cousteau cachet, find a Sub 300, Sharkie or Pro. I guarantee that's one you'll never sell again. And it's worth the chase.

sharkie_300_dome.jpg

sharkie_300.jpg

Definitely vintage. Get the watch from back when Doxa was a Swiss maker and did it the right way. Now they're mass produced Chinese watches and aren't worth near the asking prices. They want to trade on the cachet of the Doxa name, but are no better than an Invicta, IMNSHO.

there really is something about vintage....got my 600t today and the seller was kind enough to send along a copy of Dr. Peters book,,,nothing like vintage.....looks like an aqua lung 300t is incoming...

Wooo! A 300T will be nice. Lani, there's a Sub 300 on the 'Bay right now. See my previous thread about its one big issue....

I'm on that one B !!.. If it's low enough I'm hoping to score it and see about the proper part down the road.. fingers crossed.. I truly would like a acrylic crystal Doxa !! :Jumpy:

AC

Lani

Yeah that Sub 300 is a beauty, and complete in every aspect except the bezel. And Doxa was just as weird as Rolex back then, they apparently used parts randomly from every bin they could reach as they assembled the watches. I talked to one guy who'd been trying to find a bezel and he had 3 different ones from his specific vintage, and none of them fit!

So definitely buy it, and keep the fingers crossed for a bezel. I bet if one comes along and it's not *quite* right we can still figure something out. We got Freddy's 6542 GMT figured out, so a Doxa 300 should be easy.

(touch wood)

I saw that one,,,,the 300 with the strange replacement bezel? That could be a great buy if the price doens't go too high

lani,,,if I end up selling I'll call your first,,,

:notworthy:

thank you !!

@Nanuq.. yupp'rs .. going to give it a go !!.. fingers and toes crossed..

AC

L

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 300t vintage today...The dial has some very lights cracks,,,it was relumed so glows pretty well,,,but hard to tell it was relumed..I have the bracelet and will put it on later,,,

008vp.jpg

Outstanding... :Jumpy:

congrats Chris :thumbsupsmileyanim:

*sigh* cannot beat the vintage ....

thanks for posting

AC

Lani

I think you will be very happy with the 300T. I had several over the years, a Pro, Searambler and two French army issue 300T Divingstars ( which strangly came with Tudor "Snoflake" hands.

You can't beat Jack @ IWW for work on the vintage Doxas. He really knows his stuff.

If your going to be diving, I would certainly stick with the modern watches. Even after restoring the old models, they can still leak under pressure. one of the problems is gaskets and seals are practically impossible to find. Then,if you do find them, they are now almost fifty years old, so no guarantees.Wear your Doxas with pride. The old ones for sure are great watches.

Arthur

I think you will be very happy with the 300T. I had several over the years, a Pro, Searambler and two French army issue 300T Divingstars ( which strangly came with Tudor "Snoflake" hands.

You can't beat Jack @ IWW for work on the vintage Doxas. He really knows his stuff.

If your going to be diving, I would certainly stick with the modern watches. Even after restoring the old models, they can still leak under pressure. one of the problems is gaskets and seals are practically impossible to find. Then,if you do find them, they are now almost fifty years old, so no guarantees.Wear your Doxas with pride. The old ones for sure are great watches.

Arthur

thanks,,,I agree that I do not even go out in the rain with a vintage,,,,but worth it,,,I have plenty of watches I can wear when it looks like rain......wow....a divingstar is so on my list...but this stuff happens slow....Not sure what is next but that is what makes all this so enjoyable....not knowing....

That is one handsome piece, my friend! The USD logo really sets off the dial.

We're gonna have to form a Doxa GTG! How about at Lani's place? :tu:

....and I'll be there as soon as I get my money tree to start producing. At 7 degrees outside there's not much "fruit" popping out!

'Nanuq' date='01 November 2009 - 02:48 PM' timestamp='1257122906' post='745206']

That is one handsome piece, my friend! The USD logo really sets off the dial.

We're gonna have to form a Doxa GTG! How about at Lani's place? :tu:

if we gtg in Hawaii it would have to be on top of Mauna Kea.. so Nanuq will be comfortable... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If we gtg in Hawaii it will be atop Mauna Kea.. so Nanuq will be acclimatized :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'd go for that.. or on Maui at the Silver Sword Inn.. half way up Haleakala B)

One thing for sure.. RWG's Doxa crowd is more fun and supportive.. :D

AC

Lani

You got it baby, the boys "over there" seem to have an overdeveloped sense of self importance. Humor didn't fix the problem so I'm thinking I just need to walk away and stay away. It's a lot nicer over here for sure.

Now who has the best Sub???

Sub 300 that is.... :whistling:

Chris,

I don't want to hijack your thread, but thought you Doxaholics would enjoy a photo of my past collection. unfortunately, desires for other watches as well as financial things came along, and most are gone. Still have the 300t Professional (My first Doxa, and one with a good solid provinence),The Black Dial Doxa Pre 300 Dive watch(Provinence by Doxa SA as genuine and in Dr. Pete's book, The Coralline(Wife's)also in Pete's book, and the T-Graph has been replaced with a 40th Anniversary 2 register T-Graph Professional.

IMG_4921a.jpg

Chris,

I don't want to hijack your thread, but thought you Doxaholics would enjoy a photo of my past collection. unfortunately, desires for other watches as well as financial things came along, and most are gone. Still have the 300t Professional (My first Doxa, and one with a good solid provinence),The Black Dial Doxa Pre 300 Dive watch(Provinence by Doxa SA as genuine and in Dr. Pete's book, The Coralline(Wife's)also in Pete's book, and the T-Graph has been replaced with a 40th Anniversary 2 register T-Graph Professional.

IMG_4921a.jpg

This would make a great wallpaper :wub:

Your Pre-T black dial is makin me drooooolll.. all the vintages are ...... :p

AC

Lani