When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's Here! My New ETZ "Upgraded" V5 DSSD

jmb

I sat out in the garage waiting for the mail carrier so I could intercept this treasure. All I can say is, wow! This is without a doubt the nicest watch (bar none, rep or gen) I've ever owned. Chris and company have outdone themselves in both service and product. I have never seen a "real" DSSD but I can't imagine it could look much better. I am not a DSSD expert but even if it was 100% incorrect I would have to say that at USD $148 (DG2813 version) this has got to be considered one of the best buys (if not the best) on the rep market, in my newbie opinion.

This might not the largest watch out there but it truly is massive weighing in at 216 gm. The fit and finish is superb, the band exudes quality, and the glide-lock clasp operates as smooth as butter. Although it's broad daylight I ducked into a dark corner and the lume is a perfect pure blue.

Enough of my rambling, on to the pix!

DSSD%201.JPG

DSSD%202.JPG

DSSD%203.JPG

DSSD%204.JPG

DSSD%205.JPG

DSSD%206.JPG

DSSD%207.JPG

DSSD%208.JPG

DSSD%20pearl%201.JPG

DSSD%20pearl%202.JPG

DSSD%20%20clasp%201.JPG

DSSD%20%20clasp%202.JPG

DSSD%20%20clasp%203.JPG

DSSD%20%20clasp%204.JPG

DSSD%20%20clasp%205.JPG

lume%202.JPG

lume%201.JPG

OK, time for my cold shower and back to buying cheap Subs!!!

Congrats .. do we know that the .2 upgrade is yet? I haven't noticed a detailed explanation.

FYI .. take an appropriate screwdriver and gently test the tightness of all the band screws, as with ANY rep you first receive! Saves a lot of tears next week when you notice 2 are missing. (did not happen to me w/ DSSD .. was a B&R piece)

Looks like it would benefit from some refinishing around the clasp parts, but all reps do. A Dremel or similar and some rubber grinding and polishing wheels do a great job of this. Otherwise an awesome rep.

Can't see a link to the DG movement version on ET site.. anyone point me in the right direction quickly?

Hike, yeah, after this splurge I'll only be able to afford $30 Subs for a while as I also ordered a DRSD last night... Somebody please knock some sense into me! :bangin:

Now that I've had my cold shower I have looked at this with a bit more objective eye and about the only real cosmetic flaw I can find is the bezel insert. It sits a bit above flush and it's about 1/2 click off from being centered. One other thing I think there has been a lot of conjecture about is whether the He valve is now fixed - this one can still be depressed from the outside so I guess not.

Jkay, As far as the harsh lighting goes, these pix were taken outdoors. Maybe if some clouds float over tomorrow I'll take some different pix with more diffused light...

Logan, I think you have to e-mail for the DG options.

No, No, No... Remember, I said that I was now going to have to start buying $30 Subs - I used to buy $40 Subs to experiment on! Puhleeeeeeze don't throw me outa da club! :cry2: I did get in a $50 Silix Turn-O-Graph today as well, will that help? ;)

Jkay, thanks for the info, so eurotimez epoxies the He valves? I thought I had read somewhere that the gen valve did not depress from the outside, really doesn't make any sense to depress from the outside...

I'll open mine up to make sure before I get it wet...

It's amazing that as good as most of the detail is on this watch that they still can't grasp the proper function of this valve! I guess it's out with the epoxy this morning...

I want to make one observation about the lume. It is a beautiful "true blue", I could not see any greenish tint at all. It seems to be very uniform between the pearl, markers, and hands and I charged it for 15-20 seconds with an LED flashlight last night around midnight and I could still read the time at 06:30 this morning WITHOUT my specs on! Best out-of-the-box lume I have on anything.

Oh, Jkay, you were absolutely correct about the screws. Every rep I've bought have had several of the band screws loose and this was no exception - only one of the seven screws were what I considered "snug" enough! I've e-mailed ETZ a note about maybe including this on their QC list. It's a quick and simple thing to check and would go a long way toward further enhancing the "perception of quality" aspect regarding their products.

Yes I had the same exact experience in July when I first got mine. I charged the watch under a desk lamp before bed, and then 6 hours later I woke up before dawn and could still read it clearly in the dark. Very good out of the box lume.

I still had it Luminova'd by Zig, tho ;)

As an aside, the hands on my POrikaa are fabulously lumed TOO ... strong and green and bright ... but the dial marker lume is barely worth mentioning :brow:

I dug out my tripod and took a lume shot. Be gently, I'd never taken a time-lapse with my new K2000 before...

First is pretty much "life-sized":

lume%202.JPG

Second is slightly magnified:

lume%201.JPG