When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you change a mineral crystal?

Slartibartfast

OK guys, I have swapped many a replacement acrylic crystal, but never a mineral / sapphire glass crystal.

Specifically, I want to swap a flat sapphire crystal with cyclops from a submariner, for a domed no date type to change a run of the mill sub into a Tudor no-date sub. I don't know quite what to expect during removal/replacement.

Firstly what is the best way to remove it?

Secondly, installation. I have heard that you need a crystal press, and that there may be a gasket between case and crystal. Some crystals, I believe, have a tension ring??

The sub came from Trusty and is the old ETA version from 3 years or so ago, if that makes any difference.

All help greatly received. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I don't think the sapphire/acrylics are interchangeable ??? .. what type of case are you using ??

the sapphire fits on the inside of the rehaut the arcylic on the outside next tot he bezel .. I'm no expert on watch smithing.. but that is my first thought..

I wouldn't like to say how easily the new crystal would fit, but, it could probably be epoxied into place :) Removing the sapphire crystal, should just be a case of pushing it out from the back while the movement is de-cased :) Another alternative, would be to remove the cyclops and retain the main part of the crystal, although of course, I realize that it's a different crystal profile :)

Thanks lani and TeeJay! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@lani: I am not trying to replace a mineral with an acrylic, but change a mineral with another mineral, but different profile. I think that the mineral crystal fits on the inside of the case, from the look of it.

@TeeJay: Thanks, but I am worried that if I push the old one out, I won't be able to fit a new one in :bangin:

Any watchsmiths out there?

Ahhhh.. shouldn't be a problem if you have a press.. and the crystals are the same size... the cystal press is relatively inexpensive .. even the better quality ones from Ofrei.. I got one on the bay mainly for the larger dies..for about 25 usd.. but got a better Horotec from Ofrei the one on the bay is a "lever press" the Horotec is a screw down type press..

AC

Lani

edit add: just think about the height of the crystal wall from the case.. that may be the only deviation with a domed xtal..

In a pinch, you can use a rubber-jawed hobby vise. I have 1 from Sears that I sometimes use instead of my crystal presses because it provides a more stable & even pressure. As you may already know, I am about to break my sapphire cherry as well, so I cannot provide any specific guidance for you. However, there are a number of websites containing info on the pros & cons of converting Rolex/Tudor Plexi lenses to sapphire (some recommend against it for technical reasons, while others provide the service). A google search is a good place to start.

If you are going to glue it in place, use a UV glue. Loctite 358 is excellent.

@slartibartfast. Typically mineral come available in .01mm increments (at worst .05) If you refit using UV glue, you will find you can get away with up to a .05 tolerance, so as long as your supplier has a reasonable selection, you should be sweet.

@ Lani, I have a range of presses landing in the next 24 hours, including one similar to the Horo screw down and also their lever styles. Am busting a gut to get this web site finished...not looong I hope.

O/S

PS If you can get a copy of the "Watch Crystal Encyclopedia" from Florida Watch and Jewel, (Norman Helfand), all your questions and more will be answered. It is only about $12-$15 from memory, and is the "bible" on crystals.

Essential reading.

Thanks lani and TeeJay! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@lani: I am not trying to replace a mineral with an acrylic, but change a mineral with another mineral, but different profile. I think that the mineral crystal fits on the inside of the case, from the look of it.

@TeeJay: Thanks, but I am worried that if I push the old one out, I won't be able to fit a new one in :bangin:

Any watchsmiths out there?

As mentioned, as long as the diameters are close, if you use epoxy, you should get a secure fit :) Of course, if the worst comes to the worst, you can always re-install the original crystal :good:

'offshore' date='18 October 2009 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1255911558' post='738402']

If you are going to glue it in place, use a UV glue. Loctite 358 is excellent.

@ Lani, I have a range of presses landing in the next 24 hours, including one similar to the Horo screw down and also their lever styles. Am busting a gut to get this web site finished...not looong I hope.

O/S

Looking forward to shopping OS !!!

the one you have must be a lot less than shopping Ofrei !!!

AC

Lani

Posted Today, 02:52 AM

View PostNanuq, on 18 October 2009 - 10:31 PM, said:

It's not hard to change a crystal. But first it has to want to change...

:rofl:

Demsey

.........and I never saw it coming. That's what hurts the most.

does this mean it's a "it's me" not "you" thang ??