When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua's 1665 DRSD

lanikai

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply kbh, very much appreciated. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Is that the bezel insert it came with the watch or did you swap that for a different one?

Looks like you had space for the larger lug holes without any issues...what is the procedure (drill bit size, etc..) for the lug holes? Sorry for such basic questions but I am very new to the vintage models and I recently picked up one of these.

Thank you in advance!

Price on this one is fine for a first time modder who is looking for a "Practice" watch, to experiment with modding. If the bracelet is as good as Lani says it is, it's worth the price for the bracelet. As far as a serious modding project, it's a definite thumbs down. That lower crown tube opening is a real deal breaker. Some of the rep subs are lower, but this one is waaaaay too low. Also the drillled lugholes are too close to the edge for me. I'm not sure what case you could use for a really good vintage DRSD. Yuki would be great if you can source a spacer to be able to use a 2846 slow beat.Otherwise, I'm just not sure.

Not my cup of tea.

Arthur

Guest techlogik

Price on this one is fine for a first time modder who is looking for a "Practice" watch, to experiment with modding. If the bracelet is as good as Lani says it is, it's worth the price for the bracelet. As far as a serious modding project, it's a definite thumbs down. That lower crown tube opening is a real deal breaker. Some of the rep subs are lower, but this one is waaaaay too low. Also the drillled lugholes are too close to the edge for me. I'm not sure what case you could use for a really good vintage DRSD. Yuki would be great if you can source a spacer to be able to use a 2846 slow beat.Otherwise, I'm just not sure.

Not my cup of tea.

Arthur

What about Puretime's new on they are about to release?

http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2148

• 5 months later...

What about Puretime's new on they are about to release?

http://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=2148

Now your talking ....thats a way oo go at the same price point and addresses most of the real issues debated here.

Low beat eta with much better crown height (need to change crown though!)

Thicker case style for shaving!

Gen style bezel construction (but tight as a ducks *ss to rotate on mine - anybody else had his issue?)

Much better positioned lug holes

All in all much closer to MBK case....perhaps it is?

Mkiv DRSD dial is decent as well - once you can tone it down a little with aging.

93150 Bracelet is fine.

Change the crown

Shave the CGs in and out

Age the dial, insert and case

Change the crystal and you got a MBK equiv for a lot less $

Will post a review some time soon with lots of pics.

Edited by PMMUTD68

Josh's SD pages catalog are confusing, its a mix of old batches and new rep construction. You need to click on all models and look for all small details on pics.

I would suggest you to go for the new generation made from 316F stainless steel. Dials are better than these old vintage reps series.

On these new generation the only interchangeable parts with gens/aftermarket are the plexi and the bezel insert. The plexi assembly looks like a kind of gen assembly but its not like on the gen.

Edited by Rolexaddict

• 2 weeks later...

only thing the MBK does better out of the box is the retaining ring, dial and the caseback, which is horrendous on the PT

Maybe I'm mistaken but my PT caseback (now black ink is getting cleaned out and aged / polished look is developing - work in progress) looks as good as any out of box rep I've seen....but perhaps they are all wrong. I have cleaned and reworked it more since this shot was actually taken.

drsd_07.jpg

I have a library of gen case back pics and it looks OK? Not perfect but OK.

I think like the Gen world, the reps also evolve over time and revisions are made...?

PT half the MBK price, nice movement and crown position, great bracelet, end links and clasp and need the same mods anyway to crown swap, CG's trim, crystal swap, rework lug holes, ageing and on and on..... so why not?

Unless you want to build a super duper franken? :good: