When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hey Nanuq,

trailboss

Hey Col... :D

Can you post like the rest of the free world ?? :lol: and just post the pic or pics... 8)

AC

Lani

No, 'cause I have NFI how to reverse engineer a .pps file and even if I did I would have to upload the damn things one by one to PB (PB won't bulk upload from my high latency sat connection) and that would take at least a half hour of my day (plus the time to RE the files) instead of 2 min with FileZilla.

Col.

Late summer, next to a salmon stream? With that look in her eyes? Hmmmmmm. :g:

You might get as close as 30 feet, then she'd accelerate about as fast as greyhound, one big leap and she'd be on you. If you're lucky the impact would knock you unconscious as you hit the ground with her on you, and you wouldn't feel it as she tore into you. When you were no longer a threat she'd probably wander back to the river, because there's tastier food readily available. But if she was hungry, or old with bad teeth, then she'd probably eat the tasty parts. :black_eye:

Late summer, next to a salmon stream? With that look in her eyes? Hmmmmmm. :g:

You might get as close as 30 feet, then she'd accelerate about as fast as greyhound, one big leap and she'd be on you. If you're lucky the impact would knock you unconscious as you hit the ground with her on you, and you wouldn't feel it as she tore into you. When you were no longer a threat she'd probably wander back to the river, because there's tastier food readily available. But if she was hungry, or old with bad teeth, then she'd probably eat the tasty parts. :black_eye:

I had heard bear, in a pinch, would eat a human. If it had too. But only the larger muscle groups; lumbar, thigh, calves. Which I can relate to, I don't do lips, snouts, or peckers either. I think most bear attack are over 'threat' elimination; cubs, food, pussy (rut). I would wager the last cogent thing that goes through a bear attack victim's mind is "Whoa, cool! If I get just a little closer, these pics will be awesome!" then the running, screaming and the dying.

Then again, you know what one polar bear said to the other as they devoured an igloo and all the inhabitants; " I love these things! Crrrrrrrrunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle!" :Jumpy:

Exactly right, Dems. And that's what Timothy "TaterTot" Treadwell was counting on to keep him safe. He neglected to factor in the old boars with bad teeth that cannot compete with the younger, stronger bears for food. Starving to death. Right about that time, old Timmy boy started looking pretty yummy indeed.

Remember all the "just love them and they'll love you back" nonsense? Well, Annie accidentally turned on the video recorder as Timmy was being eaten, digging around in her pack for a weapon. It recorded the sounds of the attack, and it wasn't pretty. He was feeling pretty certain that she should hit the boar with something... anything, to make it stop.

I've seen the photos, and you're right. Thigh, buttocks, lumbar and calf muscles gone.

This thread is far more entertaining when Dems is taken out of context:

Hey dude, if you are going to go, go long, or stay on the porch!

I ..........., would eat a human.....pussy. If i had too. But only the larger muscle; peckers......

BOT

Timothy "TaterTot" Treadwell

OMG! "TaterTot" Treadwell LMAO!

What a head case. I'm not so sure who deserves to be eaten alive by a Kodiak Bear but Treadwell had to be in the top ten. Right ahead of 'Rolexaward'.

There really is no excuse, in an 'all things being equal' situation for humans to give cause to be molested by bear. Without knowing the particulars I would wager 90% or higher can be blamed on "human error" which is the technical vernacular for "Stooooooooopid". If you want to hunt them, study them, tag them, cull them, professionally photograph them, all pursuits that involve 'tracking them', then you would have to go through extensive training to do so. If you'd like to stay alive. To merely occupy the same terrain and avoid them? Purdy easy.

My first trip to Kenai, I was naive and kind of, well, scared shitless. It was suggested by friends I carry a sidearm if comfortable (unless it's a 44 Magnum long rifle or similar you aren't going to kill any bear, a Glock 40 S&W is nothing more than a dandy noise maker, better utilized in the vertical than the horizontal, so subsequently I just carried an air horn) and all my friends had a lot of photos of big animals on the Salmon rivers. I brought two small girls, my kids, and thought Jesus, they are going to be bear candy.

I talked to a Warden/Ranger my first morning confessing my noobness and thought I would get a suggestion to "get out flatlander, while you still can" but what I did get was a very enthusiastic 15 minute chalk talk and the 5 point primer to 'Bear Survival';

BadBearDay.jpg

I'll be damned, worked like a charm. Encountered a lot of bear since, no problema. It's like the ocean, you just have to remember; In downtown Sidney and Anchorage you are the top of the food chain. On the Barrier Reef and on The Russian River, you are not. Think like a 'varmint'. Awareness, judgement, respect.

Treadwell. Hmmmmm, a city dweller, drug dealer and recovered crack head. In an environment where 'judgement' is a better weapon than a Glock, that man was born grossly un-armed.

Oh well, once again; Darwin was proved right.

Good stuff. Thank goodness when he was hottubbing with the bear, he had his clothes on. :mellow:

The wife and I had gone up to Shasta in No. Cal. for the funeral of her grandmother. On the way back we stopped in a national forest, by the dam. We hiked down a path to a stream, took some pictures and made out, or something. On the way back to the car, we rounded a bend in the path and found ourselves face-to-face with a small bear.

Before I knew what happened, the bear took off down the hill, which was very steep, and my wife took off for the parking lot, breaking the land record for sprinting in Birkenstock sandals. :lol:

I said, "What'd you run for? It was just a little bear."

She said, "Little bears have mamas."

Edited by AllergyDoc

AD: your wify is indeed a wise women!

Dems: Sydney, mate :)

Cairns would have been more appropiate since Sydney is about 3000 kays from the reef.

Love the tent tag. This is a real sign from a CDN campground:

BearShitWarning.jpg

Firearms.jpg

I can't remember if this one was yours or Nanuq's but it's by far my favorite bear shot. I love the look in his eyes!

"WTF are you doing in MY river?"

bear_swim2.jpg

Nanuq: You got the shot of the bear gathering on the beach handy? That's gotta be fav #2.

Col.