When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIc With Replicated Movement Not Perfected Yet?

paragonrep

The 2nd day into wearing the new GMT IIc with the replicated movement and the watch has completely stopped working. At first the green hand was all over the place - jumping in various increments at each hour. Then, after "settling in", the green hand kept time but the auto wind began to become markedly louder. Then, at 12:29 PM PST, the beautifully replicated GMT ceased to operate at all.

Either this movement is not yet perfected and is problematic or I received a dud. Aesthetically, it's beautiful - just as the dealer pictures.

Lume.

The lume is absolutely terrible. My DSSD V3 looks like a torch next to this. After an hour or so, the lume is no longer visible. Appears as though the lume is either the same or slightly worse than the previous version.

P

I know which movement you have now. As you know, the movements in reps are used &/or unserviced, so your problem is likely due more to the usual lack of QC than the fitment of new (mostly cosmetic) parts to an existing design. It sounds like your watch just needs a basic overhaul, but you will probably have to see what the seller recommends since you just received it.

Thank you very much for your reply. I've definitely had experiences in the past where I've need some basic lube/overhaul/regulation work - just nothing quite this extreme in a $300+ rep - so hopefully just bad luck. Do you think the new decorative parts may actually increase the likelihood of failure in the future? Might I be better off with a Swiss ETA? I'll let you know what the dealer says and hope to do a full review with pics once I receive a working model.

Yeah,.... Joshua always comes through with these issues.. if you really want to buy the eta.. they are plenty for sale on the net.. brand new.. for about 140 to 150 usd.. as Ziggy tells us from experience.. they is enough eta's to last a very long time on the market. just google and you will find may vendors outside our hobby that sell these.. Ofrei is the most widely know here.. but there are others too..

L

Do you think the new decorative parts may actually increase the likelihood of failure in the future? Might I be better off with a Swiss ETA?

The point is that you would be better off with a freshly (& professionally) serviced movement. An unserviced Swiss movement is just as likely to fail as an unserviced Asian clone, regardless of how 'pretty' either may look.

The point is that you would be better off with a freshly (& professionally) serviced movement. An unserviced Swiss movement is just as likely to fail as an unserviced Asian clone, regardless of how 'pretty' either may look.

+1

remember also .. for the movement to be "labeled" or referred to as "Swiss". by Swiss Federation law it would be 'serviced' by a Swiss certified technician.. I have only one 'Swiss eta' that comes in the factory package and is fully serviced and ready to swap out of the package,.. all others are "eta" and still need proper servicing to be 100%.

All the eta's form the dealers are just that "eta" not "Swiss eta"... it has to do with the "servicing" aspect of the movement... all eta's bought form ebay unless in the factory package may need servicing, although I have good luck with them without the servicing so far..that is where the price difference comes into play.. the "Swiss Valjoux 7750" that I have in the factory package is 700 usd.. I got it for a far better price though.. and the eta 7750's I get for about 3 to 350 usd..although still an Eta Valjoux .. it may have been years since they were serviced....

As Ziggy stated a long time ago the "Swiss eta" factory sealed movement is gtg out of the package... no servicing is needed... as it is already serviced prior to packaging.

AC

Lani

My correct hand stack Explorer II is soon 5 years old. Not bad for a crappy movement, huh?

But then again it's the only one of my 4 CHS movements that lasted more than a few weeks. :D

Thank you By-Tor.

With 'Correct hand stack' do you mean GEN like?

- In Gen EXPLORER II or GMT II ;

the GMT Hand run on the space from hour hand and minute hands.

- On 2836-2 with GMT module REPs,

the GMT hands is the last one near the dial, ( this I suppose is NOT 'correct hand stack' ).

See pictures of GENs please.

foto-annuncio-d466-Rolex-GMT-MASTER-II-ref-CERAMICA-435-1-435-l.jpg

Rolex_GMT_II_Ref_16710__id1260.jpg

Explorer%20II.JPG

So what's the situation now? Just ordered one from Josh and it cleared customs... should arrive Thursday / Friday to Ottawa, Canada. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It's being shipped back to the dealer now to be fixed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope yours is perfect!

Thank you By-Tor.

With 'Correct hand stack' do you mean GEN like?

- In Gen EXPLORER II or GMT II ;

the GMT Hand run on the space from hour hand and minute hands.

- On 2836-2 with GMT module REPs,

the GMT hands is the last one near the dial, ( this I suppose is NOT 'correct hand stack' ).

ros the GMTIIC rep with correct hand stack was offered in a limited number on initial release of the rep.

correct stack my GMTII gen.

genuinerolexs005.jpg

genuinerolexs004.jpg