When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm A Seiko Fanatic - Part 2

mingus2112

Ah. . .here I go again. . .on my quest to have all these crazy Seikos!

This is one that I ordered awhile back. It just came in from Japan last week. Well worth the wait, I present to you my Seiko 4006-6040 Bell-Matic:

Bellmatic%206040%20shots%20010.jpg

Pictures make her look a little gold, but she's stainless steel.

The serial number puts the production date of this beautiful little piece at December, 1974. I got a great deal on her from, i THINK, watchuseek, and then an even BETTER deal once the seller realized that some of the links were messed up from a botched sizing job. (see the pictures) For $100 shipped from Japan to my door, I'm really thrilled.

Bellmatic%206040%20shots%20003.jpg

The Bell-Matics have an internal mechanical alarm that's set by a rotating bezel. The alarm is "activated" by pulling out on the upper crown and wound by winding the main (3o'clock) crown in the "in" position. First click on the main crown sets the rotating alarm bezel and second click sets the time. Unfortunately (not to my knowledge anyway) there is no quickest for the day of the week. The date is quickset by pushing in on the 2 o'clock crown. (have to be careful not to push too hard when turning off the alarm or you might change the date. i think being aware of it is enough to avoid it, though, as i've never pushed it by accident.)

My only dislike about it is the lack of any lugs to change the strap. The strap can be changed, but as you can see in the pictures the attachment is kind of like the AP straps. Perhaps I can get someone to make me a nice strap! ;) This would look great on brown leather.

Here are some more pictures:

Bellmatic%206040%20shots%20004.jpg

Bellmatic%206040%20shots%20007.jpg

Bellmatic%206040%20shots%20013.jpg

-James

Great stuff. I just wish there was an easy way to fit Seiko auto movements in some of our reps. Solid, reliable and repairable movements!!

Agreed. Readily available too! Only thing I DON'T like about them is the inability to handwind. I'm not even allowed to have a winder in my bedroom (the noise drives my wife crazy. . .even though it's damn quiet) so none of them stay wound. When i don't shake them enough in the morning, i'm over an hour behind by lunch. Sitting in front of a computer all day does little to wind a watch! lol LOVE them though!

-James