When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crappy set of pics of my Fiddy-style Homage

Neuuubeh

Hey guys,

I've been toying around with the idea of putting together a watch on my own ever since I saw that one can order individual parts like cases, dials, hands.. After looking at the movements that are most commonly used on most rep boards, I decided to try make a watch around a totally different movement. No Molnijas, no Corteberts.. I've always thought myself that most of them are too much overrated for what they really are.. Supply and demand and all those good stuff ;)

So I started looking at suitable pocketwatch movements. The mechanical look of american-made movements from the 10's and 20's got my interest - mechanically perfect movements with anywhere between 17 and 21 jewels, all with gold screw-down settings (chatons for our swiss friends :p), gold train, beautiful damaskeening patterns.. You get the idea :D.

The bug bite me and I bought too many of those. I currently have around 8 that are running perfectly fine and about the same not running.

As a getting-my-feet-wet project I decided on a 47mm PVD case. I was thinking it might be too big for me, but seems to work fine on a almost 8" wrist. For the movement, I picked an Illinois, size 12, 19 jewels, golden train, motor barrel movement with a pretty neat looking micrometric regulator, adjusted to temperature, isochronism and 5 positions.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

A sandwich dial was too thick for this, so I decided to play - used 24k gold leaf on the underside of the numerals plate. After all, black and gold have always been a solid choice :). This way the dial is thin enough, so I dont have to mess around with the cannon pinions. I also wanted to add some texture to the dial, take a look at the pics ;)

Originally I put a fiddy-style handset on this, but I hated it - it looked way too undernourished on that black background. So I made minutes and hours hands, a bit similar to the Angelus rounded ones. Another thing that has always bugged me is that hole in the minute hand. Well, none of that here :D. After making them, I let the oxidize a bit. When installing I managed to feck up the minutes one too... Will take a look at how they age, I think I'll deoxidize them and either gold-plate them or varnish them..

IMG_0260.jpg

Serviced the movement on my own, de-oxidized the gold settings, slapped the dial in there, put the hands and all fit (after some modification) snugly into the case. Whilst I'm not 100% happy with the result, I am too tired of messing around with this any more, so it will stay like that for some time :). Working on a severely limited tool-base is kinda annoying ;). A dremel and a couple of screwdrivers arent really helping...

The pics are fairly crappy, my camera is getting too old for this ;). Still, I'll be happy to hear your opinions! Am planning next projects already ;)

I cant hold a candle to our The Zigmeister, but I dont mind that either :D

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Thank you for the kind words guys, really means a lot to me :). Has been quite interesting and from time to time frustrating working on this :D.

looks interesting

angelus hands reworked for this?!

Thanks - no, no angelus hands, I made the hands myself from a brass piece. Unfortunately the minutes hand got bent a few times, the surface isnt that great ;x. Here a few pictures of making the hours hand:

IMAG0105.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

It was going pretty well, until I started cutting the slot in the minutes hand (with a dremel :x). The metal was too thin and as I said, it got bent a bit ;x. Oh well, next time I will think of something else!

Edited by Neuuubeh

Looks great. Really nice work. This kind of thing is definitely on my project list.

Did you have to modify the size 12 much to get it to fit the case? Also, how did you secure the movement?

Impressive that you made the hands from scratch. :notworthy:

I didnt have to mod this particular movement. Only thing I made was a movement ring, I already had one that curiously fit just fine, I had to file out a section for the mainspring barrel and the stem, but other than that, it was really easy..

Hands werent that hard, up till the moment I had to make the slot on the minutes one :x.

Good Lord...you made your own hands :blink: , that's dedication. It looks stunning, congrats on a great project. Wear that thing with pride :good:

Cheers B)

Thanks, I do enjoy it this far! :p Just made an ammo strap for it, but that rich brown-reddish color doesnt go with it - back to a totally black strap it is.

As for the hands, next up is a set of heat blued carbon steel, this time I'll allow myself more creative room ;)

A lot of dedication went into this I can see. :)

One tip, which I honestly don't know will work or not, next time try cutting the slot in the base metal before shaping the hands.

Ken

Was/still is a learning experience for sure :). Currently more into making a set of straps for it tho :D.

I am thinking next time I wont be cutting a slot at all, when you think about it, I dont really need lume..

That thing is sick--wear it well :good:

Thanks!

:wounded1::( Damn!!! It made what I've done like a piece of crap done by a 1st grade School Project!!!

Wow! That's is some great job you got there! and with just some screw drivers and a dremel????? I'm almost scared to

think what you could do with some really good watch making tools! Now I'm emabarrased to post any of my DIY projects :cry2::cry2::cry2: