When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More mystery surrounding an MBW a Member sent me to assemble....

Justasgood

What do you suppose happened to this case-back?

001-4.jpg

002-2.jpg

And is this the right size to accept MBW dials?

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

And I am still not convinced that this crown is Gen:

007-5.jpg

001-3.jpg

Every crown I get from my watchmaker(New from Rolex) looks like these:

017-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

013-2.jpg

011-4.jpg

Here is the Project I am working on for one of our members:

005-6.jpg

006-5.jpg

007-6.jpg

And one I am trying to cobble together for your's truly to have at least 1 watch to wear:

014-2.jpg

Still need a hollow link MBW 93150 bracelet......remember, I can get Gen Crowns/Tubes, Inserts, Crystals, springbars........Trade fodda

Thanks,

Kurt.

I was not aware that Rolex made a model distinction for the Triplock crowns. All parts are 24-703 with no further designation.

When my watchmaker orders inserts, Model(5513, 16610) and serial number are needed. For the crowns/tubes, it is simply 24-703.

I have yet to receive any of these so called "newer" style crowns in over 4 years. All come from Rolex New in package.

I will say that the back of the crown knurls on the crowns I get show the crimping

018.jpg

as opposed to looking like a single piece of milled Stainless.

006-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

The crown looks gen to me, it has the modern coronet correct for saphire subs. The other crowns are vintage and correct for the 1680.

I agree on the internal damage, but look at the rim that threads into the case.

@ Justagood,

Is it a old or new MBW your working on at the moment ?

That a real nice top hat you got there in the picture with the crown.

I think it will look real nice on my 1680.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Cats,

It sure would look nice on your 1680........however, it belongs to the member that sent his pieces to me for assembly.....sorry :-(

Not to my knowledge. I read in someone's book that there is a 701, which may have 700-style threads, but I have never seen 1.

A 702 tube has the threads at the bottom near the case which would meann the Crown would nead the threads at the bottm of the crownn near the opening to engage them.....I'll take a picture shortly.

Kurt,

I thought we dispelled the crown mystery?

I thought so too....it's just that I have searched high and low both at my bench and past photos, and at my watchmaker's bench and stock......I just can't figure out why every crown I get is consistent in it's style of dots/Crown shape and the crimping that has always been a tell for me between Gen and Rep. crowns.

The real issue is that the Crown/tube was represented as Genuine in a sale to a member here and along with other issues with case, I want to make sure the new owner of these parts understands what he got.

I wiil dig through and find the crowns/Tubes bought as "Aftermarket" and do a comparison.........eerily similar.

This crown is gen:

001-3.jpg

You and I both know that the only consistent thing with Rolex is their lack of consistency ;)

Agreed with the appearence inconsistency......but the construction of the crown and the fact that only 1 O-ring can be used in the Tube (Gens have 2)

just seem odd......dammit, I have to let it go......deep breaths.........aahhh, that's better :-) Thanks Sensei

It could be your recieving NOS. Personally i like to older type coronet. Much more soul.

The crimped crown while it does look good coronet wise, does smells fishy. Funny though, checked all my rep rolly crowns, and none is crimped, besides 1 rep gold tone datejust crown.

The Gens are Crimped, the Reps are a single piece.

Here is an update: the only "monocoque" style stainless crowns are 24-704 designated for the Yachtmaster.

Now,

Unless Rolex has started using the 24-704 crowns on all the dive watches or as the next Generation Trip-lock crowns, the 24-703 crown cunstruction is the "crimped" style.

At the end of the day, my knowledge has been increased thanks to an awesome community an great friends.

Pics of the 704 crown to follow.