When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Cousteau 06 returns from The Zigmeister Spa

Guest techlogik

Guest techlogik

IWC Cousteau 06

Work done by The Zigmeister:

1) Swiss ETA Valjoux 7750 Movement Swap

2) Proper Swiss ETA Valjoux Day and Date wheels

3) The Zigmeister Lume

I would like to say that The Zigmeister does absolutely fantastic work. He is the only one that will do the bezel lume on the Aquatimer, and he does an incredible job at that. He also did my Slevin at the same time, I might post photos, but you get the idea of the lume job. I might put the Slevin up for sale because the Cousteau is more my size, and it looks incredible.

I don't have a macro lens or light box, so excuse the photos and clarity on many.

Everything came back perfect and working fine. I could not be more satisfied with the entire process. First rate work and quality.

To really complete this project, Chief AR could be done.

I will let the photos speak for themselves:

bh0oex.jpg

2lnir1u.jpg

23s6tjl.jpg

148i68w.jpg

2vvt106.jpg

2lvz1br.jpg

Guest techlogik

Thanks, shows how bad my camera lens it...and it isn't a cheap setup either...Nikon D90 with a Nikkor 18-200mm lens. It is a good all around lens, but I need a macro lens.

Thanks for posting the image of both.

I am just amazed at how you do the 12-3 on the bezel, the dots/numbers have no lume, yet you maintain the perfect shape and font of the numbering of the outline where lume is applied...I am in awe of this talent, skill and ability.

I love getting it charged up in the sunlight, then going into our server room or store room where it is dark just to stare at it...crazy...just crazy....

I didn't shoot these with a dedicated macro, but the lens I used has a macro feature, so it does a fairly decent job.

All I can say about the lume application is practice, practice, and more practice. The biggest issue is that once you start, you can't stop, if you do, there will be a break in the flow. The lume is applied freehand a drop at a time, I would guess that the large part of the bezel takes about 300-500 drops to get done, the numerals around the bezel each take about 7 or so drops per numeral, bezel alone requires about 1:30 to 2:00 hours of solid bench time, and a few stiff drinks. :)

It's a challenge to say the least...but a lot of fun as well when you see the results.

Congrats! Wear it well!

Re: your camera, Dude...you have a good one! Same one as I have and for the price, you can't beat the results! I suggest instead of a macro leans, you get a Kenko Extension Tubes instead! It's cheaper and more versatile! Then just play around with your settings! For watch photography, I (and so does most of the experts photogs here) prefer using the "A" = APerture Priority Mode!

Get the Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control! for easy macro shots and a good Tripod!

And to protect your camera get this Camera Armor Protection System!

Good luck!

Hike

This kind of luming job is not for everybody, its not only practice you need but a lot of patience. But the result could be very rewarding or frustrating if you don't have the skill. lol. Congrats on both watches. :)

As this has a swiss 7750 swap, the main chrono hand is not an exact swap, I read before that The Zigmeister glues the main chrono hand when fitting the hand to the swiss 7750, is this done here? And if it is, what if you need to service the movement, won't it cause a problem when you pull the hand off as it is glued? Or it will just be ok?

Guest techlogik

Congrats! Wear it well!

Re: your camera, Dude...you have a good one! Same one as I have and for the price, you can't beat the results! I suggest instead of a macro leans, you get a Kenko Extension Tubes instead! It's cheaper and more versatile! Then just play around with your settings! For watch photography, I (and so does most of the experts photogs here) prefer using the "A" = APerture Priority Mode!

Get the Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control! for easy macro shots and a good Tripod!

And to protect your camera get this Camera Armor Protection System!

Good luck!

Hike

Thanks for the extension tube kit...that is definitely a better solution for less money since I don't do a lot of macros...I have all the other stuff..just the close ups, and no light box are issues.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest techlogik

BTW...for the 2006 CD...go for the inaccurate blue lume...it's MIND BLOWING!! IWC doesn't use the blue lume...but what an improvement!!

Zig...you should repost those pics from your thread on mine...amazing!!

Oh yes...do post!!

Guest techlogik

I think the colors like the new Aquatimers..like the Galapagos lume..would be crazy on the Cousteau...althoug not Gen...having 3 different colors...Bezel, Dial, and Hands all different...

Like this on the Cousteau....On that above pic, all you would need is the bezel Green, and the Minute hand green and the second at 9 green....would be KRAZY!!

iwc3767-5.jpg

Here....excuse my 10 minutes hacked up hand drawn photoshop.....haha...

2pq5b36.jpg

I think the colors like the new Aquatimers..like the Galapagos lume..would be crazy on the Cousteau...althoug not Gen...having 3 different colors...Bezel, Dial, and Hands all different...

iwc3767-5.jpg

I like this one, have never seen it before, no problem in duplicating this with Super Lume. It would certainly stand out...

Guest techlogik

I like this one, have never seen it before, no problem in duplicating this with Super Lume. It would certainly stand out...

Zig...I sourced an 06 with gen 79320 movement with the dial/hands relumed, the bezel isn't lumed at all though.

I am going to swap movements/dial with mine you did. Put the new movement/dial in my case with your bezel lume. Thus, I will have a very original like Cousteau.

But, since the new one doesn't have the bezel lumed, and will have my swiss movement with your lume on the dial/hands...I am thinking special lume project!!

I already scheduled an appt for some other work...will send it along if that is cool.