When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cape Cod Cloth

PeteM

Can anyone tell me if there is any differences in the quality of Cape Cod cloths?

Are they like Microfibre cloths or Chamois where they are diferent grades and textures (fibres or leather quality)

I ask as I have seen many at various prices and wondered if there was a noticeable difference in these or their ability to remove scratches.

Any advice would be welcome

All the same.. you can source them in hardware stores too..

be careful not to apply it to any AR coating it will damage the coat..

and if you are using it on the case back and bracelet.. wash the area with warm water.. it is a skin irritant and will cause severe rashes in some..it's best to use latex gloves if you skin is sensitive to petroleum products.. it contains a separate base that causes irritation to skin... fyi

I usually cut off very small pieces at a time.. for better control

AC

Lani

All the same.. you can source them in hardware stores too..

be careful not to apply it to any AR coating it will damage the coat..

and if you are using it on the case back and bracelet.. wash the area with warm water.. it is a skin irritant and will cause severe rashes in some..it's best to use latex gloves if you skin is sensitive to petroleum products.. it contains a separate base that causes irritation to skin... fyi

I usually cut off very small pieces at a time.. for better control

AC

Lani

.. wash the area with warm water..

AC

Lani

Thanks again. Sorry got confused do you mean wash the caseback/bracelet with warm water before you apply cloth or your hands?

When you have a combination bracelet ie, polished and brushed links what tape do you use to mark them off? I was just thinking about residue or do you have another method like a steel scratch pen?

Thanks

you can apply it to the brushed surface also,.. it will not do anything but brighten the brushed surface.. it will not harm the finish.. actually it will improve the finish..

the residue from the cape cod cloth may cause skin irritation.. so "after" you polish.. rinse the area directly in contact with your skin before putting it on..

the cape cod cloth will start turning black as you apply it to the surface your polishing.. this is just the oxidation from the metal rubbing off. no worries.. as the metal shines less "black" residue will appear on the cloth... then wipe with a soft dry cloth to "shine the metal".. get all the polish off or it will dry to a white paste.. I use a toothbrush for hard to get at cracks to remove the polish.. I also use a toothpick next to the crystal to remove any polish.

AC

Lani

you can apply it to the brushed surface also,.. it will not do anything but brighten the brushed surface.. it will not harm the finish.. actually it will improve the finish..

the residue from the cape cod cloth may cause skin irritation.. so "after" you polish.. rinse the area directly in contact with your skin before putting it on..

the cape cod cloth will start turning black as you apply it to the surface your polishing.. this is just the oxidation from the metal rubbing off. no worries.. as the metal shines less "black" residue will appear on the cloth... then wipe with a soft dry cloth to "shine the metal".. get all the polish off or it will dry to a white paste.. I use a toothbrush for hard to get at cracks to remove the polish.. I also use a toothpick next to the crystal to remove any polish.

AC

Lani

Thanks I never realised I could use it on both finishes, thats really useful and saves a lot of messing about for me. So theres no problem with some of the polish getting near the crystal - just make sure you dont rub that area?

Do you do that sort of clean regularly or just when its needed?

Thanks again

Thanks I never realised I could use it on both finishes, thats really useful and saves a lot of messing about for me. So theres no problem with some of the polish getting near the crystal - just make sure you dont rub that area?

Do you do that sort of clean regularly or just when its needed?

Thanks again

you can get it on the crystal as long as the crystal has no AR coating.. none of the Rolex genuine nor rep has AR (excluding the gen. GMTIIC and that is NA anyway)

polish to your hearts content.. cape cod will remove light scratches.. you need a dremel for the heavier scratches..

I use aluminum mag polish for the stainless too.. works great.. and swirl remover to take out scratches from the pexi crystals

a "pen" eraser will remove light scratches from the brushed finish .. your stokes need to be even.. but it's great for brightening up the brushed finish also.. not on the polished finish though..

you will need a toothbrush to remove the residue from the cracks.. some use toothpaste to brighten up the stainless steel.. never tried it .. but a lot say it works well.. (on the genuine forums).. but what do they know... :rofl:

Ac

Lani

Curious if anyone has used CC on Titanium? Anyone?

it will lighten the colour up R..

and take it from a matte finish to a glossy one.. imo.. compromising the finish of Ti ... I use it to lighten the oxidation a bit after I finish "cooking the Ti" .. then wash it off with light cape cod (just the solution) and a tooth brush under warm water with soap..

I like the matte look on Ti..

L