When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch

Spidey7

So, I have to beg once again for help from my RWG brotha's. I'm trying to purchase an Omega Speedmaster "Moon Watch" as a birthday present for a friend. I thought that it would be a relatively easy process, I mean, there's only one right? WRONG! There's a BUNCH. Some have see-thru casebacks, some have logos and symbols, some are anniversary editions.

I just want to know what the best Rep to purchase is. Is the see-thru back even accurate or is it a fantasy version? I've been doing a lot of reading, but I still haven't figured it all out. What would the best quality version be and who should I buy from?

Any and all help would be appreciated and I'll even make a cash donation in your name to the "Human Fund"! :)

you watch battlestar galactica!

heh :)

Eurotimez sells the best version, and only eurotimez sells the best version. Some may say Ruby does as well, but try contacting them and you'll see why I say only eurotimez sells the correct version. Which by the way is also very incorrect, but the best of whats available. So buy it from ET and you'll have the one people here buy. But it needs a few mods to be THAT MUCH better.

1.sub dial 12hr freeze mod

2.sapphire to plexy crystal mod

3.rehaut satin black paint mod.

not for the casual collector

Doesn't EVERYONE!?!?!?! Thanks so much for the info. Do you know if the see-thru back was ever genuine? Or is it a fantasy model?

Hey babe,

People do the see-thru caseback thing a lot with these- http://www.omega-addict.com/reviews/speedmaster/

and as seen here-http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=107

The Speedmaster Professional does come with a display back (since 1980)

The Speedmaster Professional does come with a display back (since 1980)

True (however I thought the see through casebacks dated earlier, I will concede I am wrong) , but it was a pre-requisite by NASA to supply a watch with a domed Hesalite crystal; the Speedmaster Pro, hence making it the Moon Watch. Sapphire/Mineral crystal shatters, actually 'splinters' when broken (see through casebacks would double the possibility), which in the zero gravity environment(s) would propose a hazzard to the O2 circulation [sic] and other system(s). Hesalite, obstensibly 'Plexi' has a better tensile strength and would merely crack on impact.

"Moon Watch" reps with sapphire crystals of any shape (especially 'flat') and see through casebacks are too flawed.

They had the Moon Watch rep purdy nailed down in and about '04-05, domed plexi crystals, 'meh' solid casebacks (but gen casebacks would fit, easily available), good touted Lemania/Venus/Seagull movement, most dealers would 'freeze' the slaved hour totalisor @ 6 but then they dropped the ball in a hard way.

The new modified 7750 they use in the new PO chronos to bring better subdial spacing, domed plexi, and casebacks given the same attention to detail as the PO's would render a fantastic Moon Watch replica. But they just won't do it.

Unfortunately, the best visually aesthetic replica of the Moon Watch available is 'quartz'. It too will take a genuine caseback, but the one that comes with it is the OK 'meh' one. Looks very nice in photographs, but, alas................less than $100 tho'

<edit> A good resource page to all the Space Omegas

@ Helina, dear one, this time very slowly;

This is a terrible Moon Watch, because;

"Moon Watch" reps with sapphire crystals of any shape (especially 'flat') and see through casebacks are too flawed [sic] to even be considered Speedmaster Pro's of the late sixties era, much less the Moon Watch.

Say, here's an idea, novel, and I just thought it up,;

The new modified 7750 they use in the new PO chronos to bring better subdial spacing, domed plexi, and [sic] solid casebacks given the same attention to detail as the PO's would render a fantastic Moon Watch replica. [sic] which no less than fifty RWG members would be buying the first hour of availability (how many 'new' 1665's has any collector sold to date?) But they just won't do it.

Seeing that the most correct and successful sport replica ever has been the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean in all it's versions, it's almost unfathomable that the factories refuse to retool for the Speedmaster Pro Moon Watch. It's not even 'new ground' they were 87% there in 2004.

Here's a western economic philosophy that is catching on slowly but surely in Asia;

Demand regulates Supply yields Profit promulgates Market yields Competition realises Return raises Capital. Everyone drives Porsche.

@ Helina, dear one, this time very slowly;

This is a terrible Moon Watch, because

Say, here's an idea, novel, and I just thought it up

Helina's gonna kick your ass.

I'm not disputing the legitimacy of your comments, Demsey. (As I said, I don't really know ANYTHING about the Omega "Moon Watch".) But it seems to me that acting condescending and vaugely snarky (at least, that's how it seemed to me) to ANY RWG member, much less a Dealer, (much less a PRETTY Dealer like Helena), can only end in tragedy and bitter tears being shed.

And FRANKLY, DAMNIT! I've spent enough nights cuddling Shundi close to my hairy bossom and rocking him back and forth because someone on the RWG was mean to him. I've SEEN the damage that our replies do to each other. Why, Shundi used to be a blond, bronzed Adonis! Now he's a 83 year old man from Hackensack, NJ with a bad toupee' and an incontinance problem. ALL because of meanness on the boards.

To all of you, next time you're thinking about posting something mean, won't you please think of Shundi? Words to live by.

Shundi Circa 2007

14.jpg

Shundi Present Day

funny_335.jpg

BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND...an accurate moon watch (albeit likely auto using the new tight spacing tricompax A7750 vs. a tight subdial spacing manual wind) has been wanted and discussed...but has yet to materialize.

So...options:

• VISUALLY ACCURATE: El cheapo quartz...$100...proper subdial spacing...proper functioning...the caseback everybody wants is alright...great deal...but quartz
  • SMOOTH SWEEP LESS ACCURATE: Sea Gull ST1902 manual wind...solid movement...incorrect wide subdial spacing...should get the 6-o-clock subdial freeze mod (see my signature for tutorial)...still a good looking watch...display back is inaccurate but the movement is a looker and is a column wheel chrono similar in appearance to the gen which as stated above often had display backs installed
  • ANNIVERSARY EDITION: I like this version of the watch...others don't...solid movement...looks great in person

Whether or not you can get the proper plexi crystal or a the newer sapphire crystal is a different issue. The "Moon Watch" has so many variants in the gen world even though the only real moon watch is the manual hesalite crystal one...but still referred to as a "Moon Watch" are the Anniversary editions, auto versions, mid-sized (small sized) versions, etc, etc...just to make things more confusing.

I say screw accuracy...get the 50th Anniversary one...looks great...with manual wind rather than quartz...or the 40th Annviversary Apollo one is nice too with the medallion...but haven't seen an actual review of a rep of this one yet.

Helina's gonna kick your ass.

I'm not disputing the legitimacy of your comments, Demsey. (As I said, I don't really know ANYTHING about the Omega "Moon Watch".) But it seems to me that acting condescending and vaugely snarky (at least, that's how it seemed to me) to ANY RWG member, much less a Dealer, (much less a PRETTY Dealer like Helena), can only end in tragedy and bitter tears being shed.

And FRANKLY, DAMNIT! I've spent enough nights cuddling Shundi close to my hairy bossom and rocking him back and forth because someone on the RWG was mean to him. I've SEEN the damage that our replies do to each other. Why, Shundi used to be a blond, bronzed Adonis! Now he's a 83 year old man from Hackensack, NJ with a bad toupee' and an incontinance problem. ALL because of meanness on the boards.

To all of you, next time you're thinking about posting something mean, won't you please think of Shundi? Words to live by.

Shundi Circa 2007

14.jpg

Shundi Present Day

funny_335.jpg

Kick his ass helina, you need to let demsey know that you dont "play that smack" Helina dont roll like that, WORD :victory:

I have just gathered together all the bits for my own franken - a gen case (came complete with a display back which I sold for almost the same as I paid for the complete package, so case with hesalite crystal / crown / pushers cost £45GBP net), NOS 321 dial & caseback (Watchco via Ebay £140GBP), movement holder, dust cover, hands, clamps etc (Cousins UK £70 - 80GBP), Lemania movement from a Tissot Seastar chrono (Ebay £80GBP). The whole thing will cost about £300 - £350 + cost of a movement service, although it's running fine and keeping excellent time. To complete the 321 franken I already have a NOS 1171 bracelet with the correct curved ends. Apart from the movement being signed Tissot rather than Omega, and having a silver rather than gold finish this will be 100% accurate to the nicest version of the gen. The 1960's 321 Speedy has longer, finer dial markers and a polished silver logo instead of painted and it has a delicately shaped center chrono secs hand. Subtly different from the current watch but just nicer and more delicate IMO. At £350 it will be about 25% of the price of a scruffy gen 321 - not bad I think. After all, the genuine Omega parts & Tissot / Lemania movement will always hold their value anyhow.

The case was probably a service replacement because it doesn't have a serial number on the 7 o'clock lug, but this is correct for the earlier 321 movement. The movement is well hidden underneath the solid pre-moon style caseback and dust cover, but Tissot and Omega historically had close associations so it's as close as I can get without a genuine Omega 321. If a 321 movement ever turns up at the right price they can be swapped over.

The big choice is......do I get the new, replacement (Luminova) dial and hands relumed to an 'aged tritium' appearance or leave them alone?? What do you think?

Thanking all gentlemen for the kind support :D

NO!!!! Helina! It's not "all the gentlemen"! It's ME!!! ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME! I'M the one that came to your rescue! You should bestow the grace of your soft, seashell pink hand on ME, not any of these other pikers on here. I'M your brave and strong champion, with my rippling muscles and six-pack abs, tough enough that I practice "Ultimate Fighting" as a side-hobby, but also gentle enough that I love to play with kittens and small children. MEEEEEEEE!

Besides, Shundi and I aren't mutually exclusive (as I found out ACCIDENTALLY when I walked in on him and Two Tone that one unfortunate and extremely hurtful time!)

I have just gathered together all the bits for my own franken - a gen case (came complete with a display back which I sold for almost the same as I paid for the complete package, so case with hesalite crystal / crown / pushers cost £45GBP net), NOS 321 dial & caseback (Watchco via Ebay £140GBP), movement holder, dust cover, hands, clamps etc (Cousins UK £70 - 80GBP), Lemania movement from a Tissot Seastar chrono (Ebay £80GBP). The whole thing will cost about £300 - £350 + cost of a movement service, although it's running fine and keeping excellent time. To complete the 321 franken I already have a NOS 1171 bracelet with the correct curved ends. Apart from the movement being signed Tissot rather than Omega, and having a silver rather than gold finish this will be 100% accurate to the nicest version of the gen. The 1960's 321 Speedy has longer, finer dial markers and a polished silver logo instead of painted and it has a delicately shaped center chrono secs hand. Subtly different from the current watch but just nicer and more delicate IMO. At £350 it will be about 25% of the price of a scruffy gen 321 - not bad I think. After all, the genuine Omega parts & Tissot / Lemania movement will always hold their value anyhow.

The case was probably a service replacement because it doesn't have a serial number on the 7 o'clock lug, but this is correct for the earlier 321 movement. The movement is well hidden underneath the solid pre-moon style caseback and dust cover, but Tissot and Omega historically had close associations so it's as close as I can get without a genuine Omega 321. If a 321 movement ever turns up at the right price they can be swapped over.

The big choice is......do I get the new, replacement (Luminova) dial and hands relumed to an 'aged tritium' appearance or leave them alone?? What do you think?

What do I think? This sounds awesome! But without pics it's a bigger tease than my signature GIF!

I think I would leave the dial and hands be. The half life of tritium would render the dial of this vintage with just about, or at, zero glow. Tritium is no longer available, so if you were to get a vintage relumed it would be Luminova? A master at it would relume so it would look factory perfect. Besides, a 'redial' of a vintge watch is not unheard of, actually with regard to Rolex divers' watches, it's pretty common. A new dial (or hands) here is not a concrete 'tell'. The other course, if you wanted to preserve a 'vinatge look' would be to age the dial, patina the hands and indices so it WOULDN'T glow, but looked like old tritium. Man, that's some real WIS replica modding there. Hmmmmmmm.

I was not familiar with the Seastar, so I had to Google it.(a very desireable watch in it's own right!)

Picture203074.jpg

The only model I found was 'bi-compax'. Three o'clock minutes totalisor, and nine o'clock running seconds. What do you plan to do for the six o'clock hour totalisor, or is there a tri-compax version as well?

Good luck. This sounds like a very unique project watch I will be eagerly following. If you could source the 321? Wow, you beat the game up pretty well.

Shunds.jpg

lol Photobucket banned Shundi's [censored]. Bad Spidey. For shame, for shame.

Not allowed here. BAD Dempsey! No fish for you and no poker on Saturday.

Oh, I have bigger fish to fry than this Doc. I was just over at 1.1 sticking up for 'fakemaster'. Do you know? All your buddies there called me a troll and asked me to leave. Greg actuall said that my trolling was not up to snuff. I had to fight back tears. Well, I did just pull out a nose hair but that's aside the point. And well, they didn't ask, they actually told me to "[censored] off". Imagine! Actually told me, Me! 'Demsey', to '[censored] off'! Unconscionable.

You guys are kind of not quite getting the grasp of the whole "We need to get more members up in here" thing.

Ok, tell those heathans, when your new server is up, they can expect another in house drive by 'Demsey'. I might even roll by with some hard hittin' muthas from this thread. A little of this; :bangin: and some of this; :bicycle: and maybe even some of this :black_eye: K? So peace out. :victory: Werd. To your mutha.