When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for some answers

importr

Folks

I'm seeing some really, really nice modded-reps for sale here and elsewhere.

TopGuns, UPOs, PAMs, Fliegeruhrs etc

So much time and money being spent on them, not much use, and then they're up for sale!

I'm flummoxed as to Why? I understand if there are financial difficulties...but if its just because one is "bored"?

Or has the urge to buy the gen taken over?

If i'd invested so much in making a rep as perfect as possible, I think I'd keep it for a long time.

I wish I hadn't spent so much money on gen watches already, or I'd have snapped up these fabulous uber-reps like, yesterday!

Please, tell me what the "problem" is; guys & girls...

The Frankens I build will be the last to leave my collection, if ever.

It's hard to recoup all of your money when you simply mod a watch but Frankens are really hard to recoup due to the time investment and the monetary investment.

Just like Gen flippers, some people mod for resale I expect...

No problems..some members are looking at other projects.. it what this hobby is about.. after the piece is modded and worn.. some thrive for the next hunt.. and to some, if the watch isn't getting much wrist time it's time to gain working capital.

it's really about the next challenge for some..

this goes IMHO as man as hunter... on to the next challenge..

so in part financial and the flip side to that is more challenge with new "projects", it never ends really :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

Lani

I have to agree with Lani, to some of us its the journey, not the destination. Back in 2006, I was into Vintage Rollies in a big way. I just in fact read some of my old letters to the Zigmeister regarding mods on a DRSD and a Red Sub. I spent months trying to get my vintage watches looking as close to genuine as possible. But you know what, once they were finished, they ended up spending most of their life on a winder. At that time, I had about 20-25 watches both reps and genuine, so it was a fight for wrist time. Consequently, although I spent countless hours and quite a bit of money on the modded reps, they were sent on their way after a time. I always seemed to have another pressing project that required funds.

Im not sure about modding for resale. My experience back then was pretty typical of what most folks experienced. Forum members were very reluctant to pay much more that the initial cost of the watch, no matter how much you spent modding it. For example, say I bought the DRSD from MBW for 400.00 and then spent another 400-500 dollars on mods. I was crucified when I put the watch up for sale at 800.00 dollars. It was like most buyers felt like they were buying a used 400.00 dollar watch, and I was crazy to ask twice the new price for it. No matter the watch had a Crown guard mod, genuine crown /tube , genuine insert, crystal and the dial and hands had been aged to match the watches age, plus the movement had been cleaned and lubricated and the watch pressure tested to 100 ft., Most of the older members who were buying and selling watches back then experienced the same thing, you were never going to get your money back on a modded watch.

I suppose those of us who suffer from a little ADD (Or whatever they are calling it these days) will always be constantly looking for a better watch. The grail of today is the sale watch of tomorrow. Must be pretty common, look at WatchUSeek and Time Zone, literally hundreds of watches every day, and thats not counting Ebay! So who knows? Some folks build a wonderful Franken or heavily modded rep and for them the journey is over, watch is safe and will never be sold, for others, its just another step in a long journey. Neither is wrong, its just your perspective of things.

Just My Dos Centavos

Arthur

I have sold all the others mostly to get funds in order to built or buy a higher

modded watch.

For me there are two keepers in my collection

1)16570 CHS with a clarcks crystal,gen crown/tube installed and currently sent over to Zig for servicing and SL apply

2)V1 3789 with a gen swiss 7750.I am planning till the end of this month to get a gen movement from Concepta and i have

already ordered a Ti crown and a V2 dial from PT.I will send them over for an SL apply as well.I really do not care

if the AD will recognize it as a gen but for me it is.And for 1/5th of the GEN price.

I appreciate the wise words and all thus far; true, it could be a challenge for some - a phase for others.

I personally would not spend time & money modding just to sell on though. I mod a watch that I like (therefore am already "attached" to), and don't plan to sell on intentionally. There is too much money to be lost, IMO. Maybe some people have too many watches to use, and ultimately, to justify keeping....as was mentioned already.

One thing that I do feel strongly about: I don't think it's "right" to sell a watch for the same value as you bought it for; even if it is immaculate.

Getting your money back for geniune parts, fine, as they can be difficult to source...

I have parted with some really special pieces of late without incurring much loss. These sales were primarily to help fund genuine watch purchases and to help finance future projects.

I do agree with what has been said that the trill of the hunt and the excitement and challenges that go into making these frankens really fuels the ambition.

There has only been one modded piece that I feel sad about letting go. :cry2: