When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM Crystal Removal

bertieng

Want to remove the sapphire on my 111 for coating. Wonder how to do it. Is it necessary to remove the bezel as well? Seems pretty hard to pop off the bezel without making marks on it and on the case since it sits so tight on the watch unlike the Rollies.

Can the PAM experts chim in for some advice?

Thanks.

I'm no expert.. but you need not remove the bezel.. you do have to remove the crown and the tabs that hold down the movement .. and pop out the crystal.. some of the Pams are tight.. and better to use a crystal press .. one member yers ago slashed himself with a broken crystal.. :black_eye:

You will need a crystal press to put in back on.. with the proper tools it is a breeze.. I recommend the screw down press,.. a set of screw drivers.. a ball case back opener and a blower.. should be very inexpensive at "Watch Bitz"

I highly suggest you go to, here > Watch Bitz.. in the accessories section and order the basic tools for this..you will not be doing this as a profession so the minimal basics is good to start with..they are at great prices .. and will save you a lot of $$ over the expensive tools.. later you can add as your hobby and knowledge grows.

AC

Lani

No need to remove the bezel, but a crystal press would be useful to re-install it properly. To remove, you should also use the crystal press, but it will probably pop out with a bit of pressure applied on it from the inside.

By the way a hand press is fairly cheap, but you will also need to by some large dies for it - as they all come with standard smaller dies.

EDIT: Yeah, what Lanikai said :)

The crystal gasket sits in a groove within the bezel and usually stays there when you pop the crystal out. You can gently pry out the gasket if you want. Just be careful when pressing the crystal back in as it is easy to crush the gasket and the crystal will not sit straight. In fact, I think it is recommended to replace the gasket with a new one, but not sure where to find one. If anyone knows, I'd love to know as I could use a few myself.

The crystal gasket sits in a groove within the bezel and usually stays there when you pop the crystal out. You can gently pry out the gasket if you want. Just be careful when pressing the crystal back in as it is easy to crush the gasket and the crystal will not sit straight. In fact, I think it is recommended to replace the gasket with a new one, but not sure where to find one. If anyone knows, I'd love to know as I could use a few myself.

+1

Bertie-

As has been mentioned, no need to pop the bezel- The crystal is not seated by the bezel, but rather sits in a chanel inset of the case:

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3765.jpg

And the crystal gasket sits in this lip, like so:

IMG_3911.jpg

Somewhat similar to how the crystals are installed in the old 16610 Subs, like the original Noobmariner.

You will need a rather large die for the bezel to sit against while you're pressing the crystal out, however.

You could ask JacksonTse, he was the only dealer I could find that sold me case gaskets, so he may sell the crystal gaskets as well.

Bertie-

The Oxyclean trick only really works for the Ti models; if you're trying to do this with a polished SS case, you might not achieve the results you're hoping for.

With regards to removing the bezel; you need a very sharp knife to wedge between the case and bezel to create a slight gap between the two surfaces. Once you've created a decent gap, you can use a caseback knife to work the bezel up and off the case. This is difficult to do without marking the case since we're talking metal to metal contact- You may need to polish any scratches out once the bezel is removed. Removing the bezel on a gen is much easier since most have a notch for the caseknife to fit into; the reps lack this convenient feature.

Someone may have a better solution for this task; the process outlined above did work for me when removing a few of my bezels, however. If you can, I'd say leave the bezel be if you don't have to remove it.

Ubi/Bertie,

If you MUST get the bezel off, (and I read that probably you don't), there is only one sure way without doing damage.

This tool-

BezelPress-1.jpg,

will do that very job....cleanly and efficiently. Unfortunately there is no alternative than to use various of the snap case back tools. I have used the Seiko style caseback tool to some effect, however, short of jamming a set of razorbades or case knifes under the bezel at 3 or 4 different points, you need to have one of these.

It is VERY well engineered, and does work!

A shameless promo, I know, but these are the only, and best answer I have seen.

O/S

• 1 month later...

Old thread resurrected.

I removed the crystal on my standard cartel 112 and ruined the gasket. Checked with JacksonTse and he doesn't sell just gaskets. Anyone know where I can source one? I've done a lot of searching and seen only requests and no suppliers.

Edited by RickHiC