When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bow Tie with a Suit?

b16a2

In December, there are a few of us going out to dinner...we're all graduates at the company I work for, but we've labelled it as a 'black tie' event.

I have a grey suit (fractionally lighter than charcoal), and I am considering wearing a deep red bow tie with it.

Firstly, do you think this is would look ok/be recognised practice? Secondly, should I buy a 'proper' formal shirt that has the collar shaped to fit a bow tie?

Thanks everyone!

Firstly, I would not wear a bow tie with anything other than a dinner jacket.

Wearing a bow tie with a lounge suit (charcole or not) is just going to make you look like a lefty Architect.

Also, don't bother buying a wing collar. Think about it; lounge suit, bow tie, wing collar. Too many missmatched themes going on here. It will just make you look like a Second Division footballer.

Simply put, wear a bow tie with a DJ, not a lounge suit.

So wear your suit and splash out on a silk tie (not a bow tie) and be proud of it.

Come on guys!!!

I have two custom tailored suits, not to upthight. I have 6 custom tailored shirts and one of them are white with a wing collar. I would beat up anyone saying I needed a tux to pull of a propeller!

Look at it like this; Does an oldschool vintage look stupid with a suit, just because it's old fashion?? People think they know fashion, I'm no expert, but wear what YOU think look cool, that is what matters.

I'm tempted to put on the suit and post a picture to prove my point! Propellers ARE cool, way cool!

b16a2....If you live near a Syms go there and buy your tux. Two days ago I was there and they had FULL tuxedos for $25.oo. They also had white dinner jackets for $20.00. I almost fell over. I am a certified fashion wanna be as well as one that can spot a cheap fused breasted suite from 10 feet away. These were pretty good. Looked far more expensive than $25.00