When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second DJ Franken completed

Brightight

Hi all, here is a pic of my second Datejust Franken. All gen apart from the movement (2836-2), datewheel and hands. Just love the dial on this one -

d2j002.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the datewheel so will be seeking out an open 3 overlay at a later stage. I'm also not certain if the crystal is gen, the cyclops doesn't quite seem to be right, but Cousins UK have gen ones for

Damn you!!!

That's exactly what I want to build! lol :p

Finding the 'textile' dials in silver is seemingly impossible, or impossible at a decent price :(

Hats off though, they look great :D

May I ask if they were within the $400-600 range put forward in another thread about franken datejusts?

Damn you!!!

That's exactly what I want to build! lol :p

Finding the 'textile' dials in silver is seemingly impossible, or impossible at a decent price :(

Hats off though, they look great :D

May I ask if they were within the $400-600 range put forward in another thread about franken datejusts?

I was soooooooo lucky with that dial, I got it from a-and-e-watches on ebay with a bid of $31.59!! I already had a dark blue dial but I'd wanted one of those textile dials from the start so it was too good to resist. A&E usually have buy it now or offer (and are open to reasonable offers) but their auctions have no reserve usually so you can get lucky. Unfortunately I also had to pay nearly $30 in postage to the UK but I combined the dial with the white gold bezel, so it wasn't too bad. This is their more normal price - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolex-Datejust-Men-Silver-Florentin-White-Gold-Bar-Dial_W0QQitemZ300369115960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef64fb38

Yes $400 - $600 depending on your spec and luck. I tend to buy watches with used ETA 2836-2's on the bay, again patience is the key, but they can be pretty cheap ($20 - $40) and so far, touch wood, have all proved clean and reliable so there is a saving there. And I still have the option of replacing with a brand new movement at a later point if I wish. The one essential is a Stilty ring, they make the whole process so much simpler.

I was soooooooo lucky with that dial, I got it from a-and-e-watches on ebay with a bid of $31.59!! I already had a dark blue dial but I'd wanted one of those textile dials from the start so it was too good to resist. A&E usually have buy it now or offer (and are open to reasonable offers) but their auctions have no reserve usually so you can get lucky. Unfortunately I also had to pay nearly $30 in postage to the UK but I combined the dial with the white gold bezel, so it wasn't too bad. This is their more normal price - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolex-Datejust-Men-Silver-Florentin-White-Gold-Bar-Dial_W0QQitemZ300369115960QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef64fb38

Yes $400 - $600 depending on your spec and luck. I tend to buy watches with used ETA 2836-2's on the bay, again patience is the key, but they can be pretty cheap ($20 - $40) and so far, touch wood, have all proved clean and reliable so there is a saving there. And I still have the option of replacing with a brand new movement at a later point if I wish. The one essential is a Stilty ring, they make the whole process so much simpler.

Awesome, thanks for the info and links :tu:

I was gutted when I missed a linen dial go for about $25 :( but live and learn... Next time I'm just going to stick it on the plastic! lol

Good work so far, I'll look forward to seeing if you get any more completed :D