When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Changing The Crystal On A 1680

I cant get a hold of my mentor ubi, so i'm putting general question out.

Is it necessary to remove the movement of my 1680 mbw in order to change the crystal? well, not necessary, i know its not, so i guess i'm just asking if any of you have changed the crystal on any of the vintage rollies without taking out the movement?

thanks

ok, its done finally. got the ring back on with, you guessssed it, a pair of pliars :yucky: . hmmmmm, maybe its time to get a press?

In the meantime, I think i may have upset the movement a little :black_eye: , stopped for a second, who knows, any of you trust worthy gents in the states feel like taking a look at it for me?

anyway, guys, thanks so much for your help, it was a [censored] to do, but it came together in the end. I even like the little scratches on the case that i earned, makes it look a little older.

nice crystal, nice insert (that i picked up today in the nyc jewelry distric) this little babies coming alone.

up next, drsd............... :blink:

That crystal press that Nanuq mentioned would probably come in handy about now. You can find one at OFrei, Casker, Jules Borel or flea bay for well under fifty bucks that will do the job. I've bought tools from Casker, Frei and Borel and been satisfied with all three. Casker has a cheap 2 day fedex shipping deal that will get stuff to you quickly and cheaply.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

This thread has been very informative, i managed to get all parts off including the crystal retaining ring. Only thing i got left is crystal itself.

How to remove the crystal? i read lift the crystal, but i cannot seem to lift the crystal. Did i miss something here? or do i need some kinda tool?

I dont want to damage it because i need it later.

The watch i am working on is a WM whiteletter 1680.

Thanks,

Slick

Harbor Freight has a watch crystal press w/ nylon dies for $10-15 depending on whether or not it's on sale.

They also have a rotary tool kit (Dremel) on sale for $7.99, a duster for $1.99, and 6" digital calipers for under $20.

I like to think of it as Chinese tools for working on Chinese watchers.

Harbor Freight has a watch crystal press w/ nylon dies for $10-15 depending on whether or not it's on sale.

They also have a rotary tool kit (Dremel) on sale for $7.99, a duster for $1.99, and 6" digital calipers for under $20.

I like to think of it as Chinese tools for working on Chinese watchers.

those cheap crystal presses will not work on the ring , the crystal on those type watches r way too tall and the nylon dies r not deep enough to press it u will marr or crack your crystal

just trying to catch this before the guy goes and takes your advice and makes a mistake on his watch and or spends money on something he cant use on the 1680

joe