When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Quartz vs Auto Your Verdict

jazz4ivo

16 members have voted

1. 1. Quartz or Automatic? Which would you choose?

• Quartz
    • Automatic

Hi guys,

I've been pondering this dilemma of buying a quartz vs an automatic movement watch.

Assuming that the external design and quality are nearly identical. Which would you go for?

Quartz Pros:

+ No need to service

+ Cheaper

+ More accurate

Quartz Cons:

- less like the Gens

- design might not be as good

Auto Pros:

+ closer in design to Gens

+ smooth seconds hand

+ nicer design

Auto Cons:

- expensive to buy

- prone to faults

- thickness

- expensive to service

For me, it depends on the watch. if it's a chronograph, I would buy the quartz version as I don't trust the a7750 movements, and I would rather havea working watch with incorrect sub-dial spacing (which I wouldn't know about anyway) rather than a watch with a correctly spaced dial, and a timebomb in the case ;) If it was just a regular watch, then I do like mechanical movements (handwound or auto) Their quirks give them character :)

I'm a fan of mechanical movements, because you have to pay attention to them. I also feel, although this is just a feeling, that they're more reliable than automatics. That's not grounded in any truth, but I like the fact that winding them yourself achieves the same result as putting an auto on a winder (I don't manually wind my autos).

I like to have a quartz or two as beaters, but I think the intangible factor, the idea of an energy source created by the mechanical soundness of the timepiece is by far the most important thing for me, and it trumps all other considerations.

But I do like swatches, and I'm not super keen on their mechanical pieces so much. I think this is because their allure comes from their history of making battery powered watches, which saved the swiss watch industry during the quartz boom. So history plays a big role as well.

well, most of my watches are quartz. but that's only because mechanical movements are more, as you figured out jazz4ivo, expensive. i love mechanical watches. to my mind, these watches are symbols of how accurate and sophisticated (i hope this is the right word here) humans can work. mechanical watches with a bottom window are very great...you can see everything in detail. the gears, the screws and the jewels....sometimes the movement is more lovely then the rest of the watch.

as you might guess, i'm just talking about the gens, but i think also the reps have some very nice movements...most of them you can order with a gen swiss ETA so, why not?

does having a mechanical watch means i have to correct the time every three to four days? of course...but isn't this worth by getting the possability to own such beautiful pieces of handicraft?

i hope i could explain my point of view so you could guess what i feel for watches....even by my poor english^^

if it's a chronograph, I would buy the quartz version as I don't trust the a7750 movements, and I would rather havea working watch with incorrect sub-dial spacing (which I wouldn't know about anyway) rather than a watch with a correctly spaced dial, and a timebomb in the case ;)

The Quartz chronograph replicas are, in most cases, the more correct with regard to the subdial spacing. I.E. (until recently, with the m7750) the Planet Ocean Chronograph and the current Speedmaster Pro specifically and topically, the Moon Watch. It actually begs the question; Why has there not been a quartz 116520? I suppose even the replica lords have limits on ettiquete, taste and aplomb. A quartz Daytona!? Perish the...... :lol:

Quartz. When you absolutely, positively have to be there on time. Not +/- COSC.

The Quartz chronograph replicas are, in most cases, the more correct with regard to the subdial spacing. I.E. (until recently, with the m7750) the Planet Ocean Chronograph and the current Speedmaster Pro specifically and topically, the Moon Watch. It actually begs the question; Why has there not been a quartz 116520? I suppose even the replica lords have limits on ettiquete, taste and aplomb. A quartz Daytona!? Perish the...... :lol:

Quartz. When you absolutely, positively have to be there on time. Not +/- COSC.

If the subdial spacing is good, that's definitely a plus :) I've seen a couple of Quartz Daytonas which took my fancy, but I'm not sure if I could justify the expense, as I don't think either would get priority wrist time...

For me, it depends on the watch. if it's a chronograph, I would buy the quartz version as I don't trust the a7750 movements, and I would rather havea working watch with incorrect sub-dial spacing (which I wouldn't know about anyway) rather than a watch with a correctly spaced dial, and a timebomb in the case ;) If it was just a regular watch, then I do like mechanical movements (handwound or auto) Their quirks give them character :)

Having had a run of mechanical chronos fail fairly quickly, I decided to go down the same route as you. Got a quartz Porsche and a B&M and, Sod's Law, both of them died within 6 months. However, the Miyota replacements were easily obtained for around

Having had a run of mechanical chronos fail fairly quickly, I decided to go down the same route as you. Got a quartz Porsche and a B&M and, Sod's Law, both of them died within 6 months. However, the Miyota replacements were easily obtained for around

well, most of my watches are quartz. but that's only because mechanical movements are more, as you figured out jazz4ivo, expensive. i love mechanical watches. to my mind, these watches are symbols of how accurate and sophisticated (i hope this is the right word here) humans can work. mechanical watches with a bottom window are very great...you can see everything in detail. the gears, the screws and the jewels....sometimes the movement is more lovely then the rest of the watch.

as you might guess, i'm just talking about the gens, but i think also the reps have some very nice movements...most of them you can order with a gen swiss ETA so, why not?

does having a mechanical watch means i have to correct the time every three to four days? of course...but isn't this worth by getting the possability to own such beautiful pieces of handicraft?

i hope i could explain my point of view so you could guess what i feel for watches....even by my poor english^^

I agree with you 100% :thumbsupsmileyanim: I love automatices with the exhibition case backs. This Is the view of the "watchmakers craft" The "hands on" Involvment that takes place while building such a beautiful Interaction of gears and springs are a sight to behold. This all comes together to create a symphony of time on your wrist. Im sorry but a battery would not Inspire such emotion. But as a everyday beater, strap and go kind of thing, a quartz? why not ;) Mike