When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Explorer 2

Charlie_B

I am a TOTAL noob, but am keen to buy a top quality Explorer 2 (white dial) without making any hideous and naive mistakes.

I have become fascinated, if a little bemused, by talk of CHS working better than WHS... ETA 2836-2 (with the GMT mod) being a disaster... Asian replica Rolex movements... the nuances of crown sizes and hour markets, etc, etc.

What I really want to know is, where should I buy the best one? What should I look for and what should I expect? How much should it cost? (Oh, and is it likely to be reliable, or would I be better-off choosing something without a GMT hand?)

FYI, until I found this site today, I was very close to ordering from 'Ken' at 'Executive Watches' on CQOut (http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=5975327).

Any help would be gratefully received.

It's very simple.

There is only one good model of Explorer II. It's black and it comes from bklm1234.

LINK

Then click my signature. There are 2 major reviews of this model, and explanation why black is the only sensible option.

Happy hunting!

PS: General discussion is for... well, general discussion. Rolex discussion goes to "Rolex area". Moved.

It's very simple.

There is only one good model of Explorer II. It's black and it comes from bklm1234.

LINK

Then click my signature. There are 2 major reviews of this model, and explanation why black is the only sensible option.

Happy hunting!

PS: General discussion is for... well, general discussion. Rolex discussion goes to "Rolex area". Moved.

Sorry for starting the chat in the wrong place - I'll know for next time! And thanks for your reply. Very helpful, I was reading your reviews earlier.

The fact is, I really like the clean, elegant look of the Explorer II with the white dial. If I were to go for the a black dial, I might even be inclined to switch to the GMT II model instead.

I also read a review on RWG which condemned the ETA 2834-2 (with GMT mechanism mod) as being very unreliable. Is this still the case?

Is 'bklm1234' a distributor/supplier/watchmaker? I suppose that 'Executive Watches' (CQOut), 'Puretime' and 'Eurotimez' and not in the same league?

Thanks again for your invaluable help!

PS: what does 'Noob' and 'Franken-Explorer' refer to? ...sorry if I'm missing something basic here, the taxonomy is still a tad esoteric to me!

A non-franken can't get much more accurate than this.

Here's mine.

5-1.jpg

It looks glorious! Except, and forgive me if this sound politically incorrect, it has a black face, not a white one!

I like many black-faced watches but, to my eyes at least, they look best surrounded by black bezels (Sub-style).

bklm1234 is the best because he knows exactly what small mods are needed (like readjusting the crystal, etc.) and he performs those for the buyers. Quality control. And there are dozens of different replica models of Rolex but bklm gets only the 1 best model of each. There are many examples that buyers receive different watch as pictured... it's not intentional but some dealers don't know what they're selling... they just ship whatever their supplier sends them.

White version is a no-no. The replica dials are no good. bklm sells the "Transformer" GMT II, which is quite good. Article. It's not as accurate as black ExpII but very nice still...

"Noobmariner" is very famous replica. It's a rep of 16610 Submariner which was quite a sensation when it came out a few years ago. Good Explorer II's and GMTs come from this same factory... that's why people call them "Noob" versions. It's a factory that makes the best Rolex replicas.

"Franken" means a watch with genuine parts. My white Explorer II has genuine dial, for example... thus, it's "franken". You need plenty of skill and source for genuine watch parts to make a franken. It's both expensive and time consuming.

By-Tor, on your black-face EXPII what size is the crown, is it a 6mm or a "low profile" 7mm. Looking at mine about the only obvious differences I can see are the crown (mine is "sub-like") and my CG seem to be a bit more pointed. But maybe the whole CG thing is a bit overblown at times as I read there is some amount of inconsistency on gens with regards to some of the things we love to nit-pick!

By-Tor, on your black-face EXPII what size is the crown, is it a 6mm or a "low profile" 7mm.

I'm not absolutely sure... I actually forgot. But I think it's 6mm. The exact same crown as on my gen GMT II. Are there 7mm genuine twinlock crowns? I recall the 1675 and 16750 use smaller 5.4mm twinlock (or was it 5.6mm...)

By-Tor, thanks, the GMTII uses a 6mm and thankfully I have one 6mm twin-lock crown/tube set left! This weekend my "budget" EXPII will get the proper crown. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ronin, my rep has a trip-lock Sub style crown so I will need to change the tube as well.

It's really unfortunate that this model of ExpII isn't available without the rehaut engraving any longer. It's a serious downgrade. The old one that me and jmarin have has become kinda collectible already.

I really love my black ExpII. Initially I was only interested in white as well, but lately I've been wearing the black version more.

Not wanting to "thread hi-jack" (I like to think of it as "thread degradation") this is my "budget" model with no engraving. It might be a bit "woky" (I may be able to fix that in the lathe if I can get it located properly) and the crown is to big (to bad as I really like how easy a Sub-size crown is to operate) but I think I can make it presentable for not a whole lot of money. I hope...

EXP 2.JPG

Mercury, yeah it's a real monster, ain't it! :rofl: I have a 6mm crown and tube to replace it with. I remember replying to a post where somebody wanted a big crown for some sort of project and now I can't remember the thread!

If you do a search on the Sales forum a White explorer 2 was for sale by Stephane. I was the lucky buyer but it'll b up for sale shorty as Im going to buy then gen.

Its really rare to find some white explorer 2 these days, I on the other hand prefer the black one.

Sent you a PM, bud...I know where to get 'em ;-)

I am a TOTAL noob, but am keen to buy a top quality Explorer 2 (white dial) without making any hideous and naive mistakes.

I have become fascinated, if a little bemused, by talk of CHS working better than WHS... ETA 2836-2 (with the GMT mod) being a disaster... Asian replica Rolex movements... the nuances of crown sizes and hour markets, etc, etc.

What I really want to know is, where should I buy the best one? What should I look for and what should I expect? How much should it cost? (Oh, and is it likely to be reliable, or would I be better-off choosing something without a GMT hand?)

FYI, until I found this site today, I was very close to ordering from 'Ken' at 'Executive Watches' on CQOut (http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=5975327).

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many members come and ask for good white Explorer II. There simply isn't one. The only good replication of Explorer II (case, dimensions, etc.) is this particular black model from the "Noob factory". The white one has dark grey "gun metal" hour marker surroundings. The gen dial has raven black surroundings and the white rep dial is worlds apart. You can shoot the watch from a favorable angle to make them look "blackish" in the pictures but when you see it in the flesh, you'll be disappointed for sure. I know because I owned 2 of them.

There are, however, replicas of white Explorer II with correct raven black markers, but the reps themselves are pure garbage. Junk. Crapola. Cheap shit.

I don't get it... why these facts are so difficult to swallow? Building a franken with genuine dial is the only solution... and the new rep versions won't accept genuine dials. So you either get the black dial version or buy the gen (if you want a good Explorer II, that is).