When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Boston College / Carrol School Of Management

slay

I really wanted to go to Boston College when I was choosing my University, however I decided it more economical and overly wiser to stay in the UK.

Boston College is a great Uni, and I have had the pleasure of touring it, with a plentitude of excellent fascilities, it would be a fantastic choice for any prospective candidate.

Edge

Boston College is my favourite so far, but its very expensive (berkeley costs only about 1/3), but they offer a lot of sport activities I enjoy, such as Material Arts and Skiing/Snowboarding. The weather is not as nice as it is in berkeley though :)

Dont know wheather to study abroad or in switzerland... Various ppl told me, that US Education is not as good as it is over here, because you have to take core classes and stuff because high school students are not as well educated as studients who recieved the abitur or the swiss maturity. Some Colleges told me I could skip one or up to two years of college... That would leave 2 years of studying versus 3 years in St. Gallen which is one of the highest ranked universities in the EU

I'm with that mate go for UNC become a Tarheel, you want sport that's the place to be.

As for the education thing, I was the same the level of high school education in the states in not as per the EU. We use many first and second year US college programmes to fit into out Higher and Advanced higher High School programmes here. Therefor most EU students with decent grades are looking at at least 2nd year entry or probably third year entry, as I was offered. This cuts the cost drammatically however cuts out huge portions of the social side of attending university.

You can't go wrong with either Boston College or Berkley they are both ecellent schools, as is UNC. Ivy league schools are obviously educationally better, and also for making connections, but the pomp and regalia that goes with it is off putting for me. The cost is also exhorbitant. If you are looking at sports as a major part then the Ivy League Schools are not as proficient in this area (in general). UNC is a good school with good weather and also an extremely well regarded sports programme.

As I say if you want to stay in EU then Vienna has good options, there are many fine institutions in Europe which are cheaper and also closer to home, however I looked at the states as a very different culture and an excellent experience. I will hopefully be moving there upon graduation, however chose to stay within the Eu for quality of university and cost effectiveness.

PS. This is not a dig at the US eductaion system, the sheer size of population and diversity of upbringing make it very difficult to have a highly ranked High School system with more than 60% of citizens not attaining GED level accreditation, however this is a consideration for Non Resident Students.

Many Americans choose to come to the EU for university as it is a good eductaional choice for those who cannot afford the top 4 Ivy League institutions which are about the only comparable universities with the Eu equivalents.

just my £.02

I graduated from BC....almost 30 years ago and have only been back there a handful of times since. I happened to graduate with the ever practical BA in English Lit, but I recall the schools of management and law (and other schools and programs) being very well regarded even back then. When talking to friends who went to places such as Harvard and Yale, one thing that stood out was that at BC the star professors actually taught undergrads, which was not the typical situation at other schools.

I've kept track of BC mostly through their alumni magazine, and I am impressed with the improvement campaigns they have launched over the years both in terms of programs and facilities.

I'm not particularly keen on sports programs as a reason for selecting a college or university. In my opinion, these schools, including BC, should stick to academics and leave the business of football and basketball development leagues to the NFL and NBA.

With BC you get not just a great university, but the city of Boston as your back yard -- energized by a couple hundred thousand college students in the greater metro area to add vitality.

thanks a lot for the insight!

Maybe I expressed myself wrong, I do NOT want to do varsity sports such as basketball or football or whatsoever, I would never pick a university because they have a good football team! In fact I could not even compete with US High School students, simply because we dont have school sports and the only way to do a sport is to go to a prive club. And they dont practise 5 times a week for 3 hours each day. Thats also the reason why it really surprises me, that Dirk Nowitzki can compete with US Basketball players!

But Boston College offers to join a Material Arts Club and a Skiing Club and such. That means there's the possibility of doing stuff I really enjoy. I have been doing Muay Thai for over 6 years now and I would like to contunue doing Material Arts. I also really enjoy skiing and snowboarding.

All that I cannot do in Berkeley, because for Skiing its simply to hot and there aint no mountains around and all the other University Clubs do not attrackt me one bit. In fact theres not one single Club I'm even interested in a littlebit. And I'm not the nerdy kind of guy who studies 24/7, that would make me go crazy!

And Boston is a great city, too. My favourite, I could say, along with Charleston, SC!

And as you have also mentioned, the Bachelor program seems to be better at BC, because they dont make you take as many Core classes and focus on MANAGEMENT and not on other crap. And you are tought by the good professors!

Slay,

I have to admit that I understood your take on sports, but my animosity to the "semi-professional" nature of college sports such as football and basketball in the US colored my response.

By the way, I think the U of Washington here in Seattle is supposed to have a pretty good business school -especially if you want to get into the high tech business. And half decent downhill skiing is available just 45 minutes or so outside of the city.

I was trying to work out what Material Arts were. Is it like Plastic Arts? Is it Fashion Design?

Then I got it. Martial Arts.

Several people following this thread are now going to breathe a sigh of understanding now.

Well you just stuffed up my funny punchline :(

Ken