When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM dials - flat or matte/semi-gloss?!

hackR

still learning, i am...and currently own and/or have owned a number of PAMs...some of my dials have had a nice matte/semi-gloss sheen to them (my 219 with LH dial) and some have a flat finish to them...i'm not at all sure what the gens have - as it's not always easy to make out the details in pix...soooo - is there a rule of thumb and/or some way to know what's "right"?...does it vary by model or PAM era or what?...IMO, i absolutely loved the semi-gloss sheen of the finish on the LH dial...just wondering?!...especially with reps - dials made/sold by LH, DSN, FGD, cartels, creatures from another planet...

R-

Examples below:

PAM 112h

pam112ha.jpg

PAM 117

img4345q.jpg

PAM 219

21904.jpg

PAM 252

2525r.jpg

etc, etc, etc...

thanks, Doc!...

can i assume that some PAM models have a matte/semi-gloss finish and some are flat?...the sheen on my 219 LH sandwich is very sharp and noticeable, while my old 112 was more flat...so wondering if that is just differences in manufacturers and/or what the real dials have for finish...

R-

HackR - when did you get your LH 219? I think the latest version (v.201c) is not as glossy as his older dial. The sheen on mine looked pretty good compared to gen and not shiny like his older dials. I was thinking of getting it re-textured by flav but will see ...

thanks, Doc!...

can i assume that some PAM models have a matte/semi-gloss finish and some are flat?...the sheen on my 219 LH sandwich is very sharp and noticeable, while my old 112 was more flat...so wondering if that is just differences in manufacturers and/or what the real dials have for finish...

R-

I'm not sure how accurate the LH 219 is, as it seems too glossy. But the finish on his 111 dials is supposed to be like the gen.

I'm not sure how accurate the LH 219 is, as it seems too glossy. But the finish on his 111 dials is supposed to be like the gen.

I agree that it looked a bit too glossy to me as well. It could be his older 112H dial or just how the pics are taken.

Also, does the font look white to you or ivory in color?

Edited by R_Squared

To clarify, basic paint sheens are:

flat/matte (same thing) usually 5-20 degree reflectivity

satin usually 20-40 degree

semi gloss usually 40-70 degree

gloss usually 70-90 degree

reflectivity varies by manufacturer and there are other sheens sometimes in between, for example low-lustre, or eggshell.