When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6263: Mixed Results

lhooq

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take the plunge into the rough and ready world of vintage Daytonas. I ordered a DW kit through eBay and received the package a week later. I guess I should have taken a photo of the contents when I first opened it, but everything looked OK at the time. All I noticed amiss was that one edge of the 3 o'clock subdial seemed a bit "hairy", as if the minute indicators were peeling off. I guess I dismissed it too quickly, as I repacked everything and brought it to my watchsmith.

Aside from a loose start/stop pusher, he didn't report any problems with the build. It was only when I picked up the finished watch that I noticed the problems with the dial:

746312043_mbvMo-X3.jpg

Yes, that's bare metal on the edge of the minute totalizer. I think the minute decals went away and took some black paint with them! (I could try convincing myself that it's a bit of patina, but that's a stretch.) Were it not for those missing flecks, I think I'd be very satisfied by the watch as it is. However, the more I examined the dial, the more familiar it looked to me. It turned out I'd read about these issues not long ago in a thread started by auman20 (My first rep: Spin's DW 6263: am I the only unlucky guy?). The differences between this dial and those of, say, freddy333 or vlaletom are not subtle at all.

I sent David an email asking if he could replace my dial with one of the older, nicer ones (I attached a picture from RWG as reference). He apologized for the problems and said that he could, but that I'd have to wait a month, as the better dials are sold out. I don't have many other options, so I'll be waiting.

Waiting and accumulating parts: I have a gen 7836 lined up , and I hope to replace the Clark dome with the later, edged Tropic 21. Any good aftermarket crystals out there, or should I bite the bullet and go genuine with that, too? The dull and tatty-looking second hand will also have to go.

746317146_b4jNM-X3.jpg

Surprisingly, I'm still happy with this watch on the balance. It's a striking piece from six inches away, and I love the overall look of the silver panda dial--chipped paint and fuzzy text notwithstanding. The case is a beauty, though I have to be careful not to cut myself while stroking its curves! I only wish I'd ordered the DW6263 earlier, so I could be enjoying a completed Daytona today.

746330770_TSgpu-X3.jpg746340502_UBvJ9-X3.jpg

Definitely a work-in-progress. Updates to follow.

I think the clark crystal is about the only substitute for the gen #21 tropic.

In my research, I read a post by The Zigmeister, who mentioned that he had a source for aftermarket, bevelled-edge T21s that were -in his words- identical to the gens. Unfortunately, I can't ask him about it until mid-January!

There are a couple of sources of genuine T21s on eBay with prices of $75 and lower. Unfortunately, they're either CONUS-only, or don't want to sell to people who've been buying fake Rolex parts on eBay. Seriously!

Pity, it's going to be a great piece when you sort out the dial. I know much is said about the 'impatience of the wait' but oft times, for me, the wait is the best part. I enjoy having something to look forward to.Congrats.

Thanks! I'm already enjoying it as-is, but it's nice to know that it only gets better from here on. (Fingers crossed.) And from past examples I've seen on RWG, the effort and expense looks to be well worth it.

alligoat: 7750 movement minus the rotor. A Valjoux-based DW would be a nice thing to have down the road, but I don't know if I have the heart to tear apart a vintage chronograph, no matter how small the name!

Edited by LHOOQ

Looks like 7750 & I agree with most of the responses above.

There is no aftermarket equivalent (if you are anal) for a gen T21. Clarks are very good, but lack the clarity/sparkle of the gen lens.

If you have read any of my DW journals/tutorials, you know that these projects rarely, if ever, go smoothly. Like all rep parts, the components vary in design/quality &, sometimes, your only option is to replace them. And when you have to rely on someone else to handle the construction for you, you have an additional set of delays. But keep your eye on the prize & go with the flow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement. It isn't fun not being able to wear it while I wait for news about a replacement dial, but the project continues:

756153049_Dn9i8-X3.jpg

-The used, gen 7836 adds a good amount of credibility to the whole package. The 361 endlinks aren't a snug fit, but they look just fine when the watch is on the wrist. Better springbars might help, as one of them has a loose pivot.

-I have a genuine Tropic 21 on the way. I do like the dome of the Clark, so maybe I can use it for a future 6239/6241 project. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself!

-Finally, I've smoothed out the razor-sharp edges of the case with an emery board. I may have overdone the lower-left lug (compare the above with pictures in my original post), but it does feel a lot nicer!

Thanks for the encouragement. It isn't fun not being able to wear it while I wait for news about a replacement dial, but the project continues:

756153049_Dn9i8-X3.jpg

-The used, gen 7836 adds a good amount of credibility to the whole package. The 361 endlinks aren't a snug fit, but they look just fine when the watch is on the wrist. Better springbars might help, as one of them has a loose pivot.

-I have a genuine Tropic 21 on the way. I do like the dome of the Clark, so maybe I can use it for a future 6239/6241 project. But I shouldn't get ahead of myself!

-Finally, I've smoothed out the razor-sharp edges of the case with an emery board. I may have overdone the lower-left lug (compare the above with pictures in my original post), but it does feel a lot nicer!

I'm sure pretty sure DW will come good. :)

You're well on your way there, mate...Here's my Spin-LE, which I treasure very much... ;)

IMAG0029_DW6263wristshot.jpg

IMAG0056_6263wristshot.jpg

alligoat: 7750 movement minus the rotor. A Valjoux-based DW would be a nice thing to have down the road, but I don't know if I have the heart to tear apart a vintage chronograph, no matter how small the name!

@LHOOQ.......after removing the Rotor.......I guess you wind it manually? I thought the 7750 movements have flimsy manual wind parts and the experts here discourage this mod......?

I'm sure pretty sure DW will come good. :)

You're well on your way there, mate...Here's my Spin-LE, which I treasure very much... ;)

IMAG0056_6263wristshot.jpg

Hey cool!

What powers that watch? That's good lookin! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's my project for 2010.......and some!

Coolfire: Is that the one and only Spinmaster DW with a vintagized dial? Looks great! I've always been curious about Spin's aging method, and why he won't do it again.

@LHOOQ.......after removing the Rotor.......I guess you wind it manually? I thought the 7750 movements have flimsy manual wind parts and the experts here discourage this mod......?

Based on the info in gplracer's thread, and the earlier thread that freddy333 makes reference to... no. It's the auto-wind components that are subject to excessive wear during manual winding. Once these are excised (a step I haven't undertaken yet), the movement should be OK.

LHOOQ Haha I was typing that information as you posted....

View PostHikeUSA, on 04 January 2010 - 12:04 AM, said:

The Zigmeister said that these movements are good if properly serviced.