When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some Words From A Slightly Frustrated Admin...

Admin

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a practical note: I used to run a (political) website where people could donate either as a recurring charge or a discounted one time charge. Obviously, w/ the recurring you have members who stop using bandwidth but forget to cancel their memberships, but every month when I ran the numbers, I usually found that lost revenues and fees from attempted withdrawls from unfunded, expired or cancelled cards made the recurring charge revenue not much more, on balance, than the discounted "one time" revenue, which more people chose anyway.

As surprising as it is that self interest doesn't kick in (donate the equivalent of $5 bucks a month to keep alive a site that saves you 10 times that every time you buy a watch), self interest doesn't kick in: people will generally choose to get something free even at the risk that getting it free might mean it comes to an end compltely.

My .02 is that we'd loose very few contributing members and dealers with a mandatory membership fee--most serious collectors and dealers would gladly pay for the piece of mind that RWG will be around for a long time. If we loose a bunch of "who has the best..." and out posters, so much the better.

re: membership % that pays, a few thoughts...

There seems to be a core of ~250 of us that post/participate on a regular basis, these are the same people we see in the threads, same ones who pay the supporter fees. The trick is getting the people that register and never return after they get a submariner rep, or log in once a month to get their quick fix.