When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why can we get an EXP II with the correct hr markers?

boston21

I have been collecting for about 4 years now. I have had many great watches but all I want is a great White dial Exp II. I have owned both WM9 versions. The black is a great out of the box rep but not nearly as nice as the white dial (IMHO). Tried to settle for the current white dial version but couldn't get over the gun-metal markers (huge tell). Seems like WM9 could easily fix this and have a best seller. Any thoughts.

There are some white dial ExpII's with black hour markers. But other than that, those reps are absolute crap.

The Noob factory version is an excellent replica... very accurate and the rest can be done with mods, but the white version simply doesn't cut it. The markers look all wrong. Some people say that the dark grey gun metal markers are "almost black" but I guarantee you... they're nothing like the gen.

Nothing has changed... you need to find the extremely rare initial rep version (from 2005-2006) which takes gen dial. Not an easy task.

This article has the specs and data.

Actually they DID make the rehaut deeper on the newer ExpII version. It's identical depth with my gen 16710... just perfect. Keep in mind that ExpII and 16710 have shorter rehaut depth than Sub.

The clasp engraving is bad, etched coronet is too big and the default crown is shite. Other than that, the black version is absolutely amazing. The bezel, for example is 99,9% perfect. I have no idea why they refuse to make a good white version.

1x.jpg

While I have not seen the "Gun-Metal" markers you describe, be careful what you wish for. My Gen is not BLACK/BLACK. They are a matte charcoal (a shade or so darker then what I would call Gun-Metal -or- a shade lighter than black). We could get our wish but the markers will probably be Glossy Black that will be an equal tell.

86img2223.jpg

So, wouldn't this be as simple as removing the markers, airbrushing them the correct semi-gloss charcoal grey and re-luming them? I just got a "budget" model and they are pretty black but maybe not quite black enough...

post-24124-126275891281_thumb.jpg

RoninQ is right... they are "greyish" liquorice black... but black nevertheless. I know... my white franken Explorer II has genuine dial and I have owned the white rep version. The noob version isn't as bad as this but the markers are still too light and transparent. Period.

By-Tor, I may add this to my ever growing list of future projects (I may have to retire to get them all done) to deal with. I envision removing the markers, popping out the old lume, airbrushing matte black, dropping some lume, reattaching markers.

Oh, thanks for not making fun of the cyclops on my cheapi Exp II - that is also on the list of future projects... :-p

Crap! I was hoping nobody would notice that but I should know better by now! I have one 6mm crown/tube assy left so I guess I'll break down and use it! You know, the problem is I actually like 7mm crowns better than 6mm for function although I admit the 6mm looks more "streamlined"...

I bought the white dialed ExpII from Watcheden- same crappy date mag and I'll have to check the crown- it might be 7mm. I just put the watch on top of the desk and went on to other things. Fixing bad date mag is tough- maybe I can swap out w/ a noob crystal if the Watcheden one isn't glued in there! But yes it does have black marker surrounds and the dial print isn't too good....

Date Mag reference below. These watches do not have the super mag that you see on the likes of Subs or especially vintage subs like the 1680. My Noob/BK Black face mag is actually OVER magnified. The mag is relative to the rehaut depth. Since these are pretty shallow they don't magnify as much. (I learned that last bit from Ubi at lunch the other day)

86img2186.jpg

IF I can get my cyclops off in one piece I think all I need to do is move it toward the center a couple mm and it should be OK. Couple that with the 6mm twin-lock crown and hopefully it should be presentable.