When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage datewheel overlays anyone

nielest

The silver one from Eurotimez is your best bet. It would be correct for a late 70's GWSD, same time frame as my gen 1680 (1978)which has the original silver DW.

Slartiblast and Stilty have shown some stuff in the past, but I don't know if it's ever come to fruition.

thanks alligoat! I have a 2486 i'm looking to swap with my a21j, Will i have problems with hand interchangeability? Also would it be possible to swap over the datewheel from a21j to eta 2846? simple one for one swap or must i do an overlay?

you've been of great help alligoat!! thank you very much!!

If you go w/ the 2846, you'll need a set of eta hands. go to nostalgia_2000 on ebay- Tudor hands (which are 90/150/25)will work.

Datewheels won't swap. An overlay might- always have to check window location. rolex date windows sit slightly inboard of the eta date window, hence the overlay. A lot of asian 21j's are set up w/ the datewheel in the Rolex position- ironic??

thanks alli! O.k so in this case if i don't have an overlay for the eta and i use a mbw gwsd dial i'll have my date font off centre? Also are these the hands you are referring to: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hands-ETA-2824-2-White-For-Rolex-Tudor-Submariner_W0QQitemZ230362373678QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a2aade2e#ht_500wt_1182

There should be a couple of dealers offering vintage Subs/SD's (basically the 1570/5 era watches) now with flat 3, closed 26 datewheels installed; as the newer batches of watches are coming with an aesthetically more correct font for the datewheel overlay, I'd think that it shouldn't be a problem to also source some extras a la carte...