When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16613 question

criggs19

It depends on which 16613 you had- Some of the older Chinese Subs had the standard ETA placement for the date, and in that case, a gen dial would not fit correctly, as the date window would be offset from the datewheel. Most Submariner reps have what's called a 'date overlay' on the existing ETA datewheel; this is a thin disc with the dates printed on it that sits on top of the ETA datewheel and repositions the actual date to the same location as the genuine 3135's date (the genuine date window is more inboard towards the center of the dial). In this case, a gen dial should work, but you'll have to remove the dial feet and secure via dial dots, or you may be able to source a watchmaker with the ability to relocate the dial feet (the most ideal solution).

It should be noted that the datewheel overlay adds additional height to the ETA datewheel, and there is very little clearance under the dial. The common problem is that the datewheel will likely rub or come into contact with the dial, and the end result will be a date that does not flip over completely or at all in some cases. As rosnik mentions, it's a good idea to get someone familiar with this process to do the work for you, as there will be a lot of trial and error with getting everything to work right (speaking from 1st hand experience).

Good luck!

//ubi

Thanks for the help guys. The dial isn't as big a deal, the one on the rep is actually pretty good. But that crown bugs the hell out of me. I can get one for about $90 so I was going to do it. But if I'm going to need the tube also that may change things, the tube costs more then the crown so I have to decide whether I want to spend that much on a rep. Thanks again.

CR

Thanks for the help guys. The dial isn't as big a deal, the one on the rep is actually pretty good. But that crown bugs the hell out of me. I can get one for about $90 so I was going to do it. But if I'm going to need the tube also that may change things, the tube costs more then the crown so I have to decide whether I want to spend that much on a rep. Thanks again.

CR

You can buy an aftermarket 24-7030-0 tube for around $20- it'll fit the gen crown if the rep tube you have in the watch doesn't work. Of course, when you remove the old tube, you should run a 3.0mm x .35 tap thru the hole to clean up the threads first... and you might need to countersink the hole w/ a larger drill bit to seat the new tube properly in the case. Then again, some people are able to remove the old tube and screw in the new one w/ a little loc-tite (blue) and never look back. You also need a case tube wrench for installing the new tube (6mm).

yeh, come to think of it, the aftermarket case tubes are cheap, it's all of the tools you need to do the job correctly that are expensive!

The tube wrench will be a must for installing the new tube, but you'll need a rat tail file to get the old tube out (the rep tubes don't have the same fluted star pattern for the wrench to engage).

Also to note- Don't try to over-tighten the tube if you have one of the newer versions with the fluting for the wrench at the top opening (i.e. opening closest where the crown shaft/stem would go in), as you will likely shear the top of the tube right off, leaving the base stuck in the case (get that rat tail file out again). You want to tighten it just to the point where it's snug and won't unthread when turning the crown. Maybe a dot of loc-tite will help as well. The older tubes had the wrench flutting in the base of the tube, which I think worked better for installing.

I'm hoping that I'll get real lucky and that crown will go right in there with no problems, we'll see. If not, I have a friend that is a watchmaker, I'm sure he can help me out. I do plan on buying a good watchmaker tool set though since I'm thinking real hard about building a 6263. I've been looking around for gen parts and have found a bunch so far, even a Val 72. Thanks for all of the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes. The crown should be here tomorrow or Thursday.

No, a 3135 stem amd a 2836 stem are not compatible. You could use a drop of glue to hold your stem in the correct spot of the crown, but get your gen/aftermarket case tube installed first, then see where you stand- it's not uncommon to have to adjust the stem length so that it will function correctly.

Well, the stem for the ETA 282x/283x/284x/289x and Rolex 3135 are both the same in terms of diameter (Tap 10; 0.90mm); it's the boss at the end that differs. That crown should thread onto that stem snugly; if you cannot engage the threads, measure the hole. If it is 1.20mm, you have a crown for a Tap 6 size stem (at which point, I would question the authenticity of the crown).