When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2846 modification?

nielest

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could give a detailed tutorial on removing the datewheel function on an ETA 2846. To make the movement click to only 2 positions instead of 3? Also an inclusion of how it could be altered to non-hack would be awesome. I searched the forum for this and found that a member by the name Repaustria did a turorial, however i can't seem to find him as a member or a post by him. Did he get bannned?

cheers!!

PS: If you gurus have an extra few mins you could also maybe help chime in on:

1. i have a yuki pearl, it's hollow in the middle: what's the best thing for me to do to make it look like a vintage 5513 pearl? Must i put some stuff inside the hole? Should i toast it? Also i prefer the project to be non-lume just like authentic 5513.

2. i have a 5513 mbw dial coming in apparently with the lume in green, what should i do to kill the lume to make it authentic? Would popping it under some hot lights or toaster for a few secs do it?

3. I also have some tudor clark hands coming in. these apparently have a white lume? How do i kill the lume on that, toaster?

See this small arm/lever that the tip of my screwdriver blade is touching?

IMG_4575a.jpg

This is the part that needs to be modified or replaced to achieve a two position non-date. There are small notches (for lack of a better term) that determine the set functions when you pull the stem. What you need to do is eliminate one of the stops.

Here's a borrowed pic from stilty to illustrate:

262885-5060.jpg

The one on the right is stock, whereas the one on the left is modified.

ETA also sells this part with a two position notch as well.

As for your other questions-

For the pearl/insert, you definitely need a vintage pearl. I'd give you one, but I already gave away all the spares I had.

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

Re dial and hands- MBW dials typically do not have any lume, unless it's been relumed. Usually they just have little painted plots (no luminous). If the dial is not lumed already, you can paint these plots with a color more similar to tritium. For hands, you can have them redone in a similar color as well.

For what it's worth, I have gen dials from the 70's that still have some life to them. They're faint, but they're not dead either.

My advice is to have either Zig or Vac relume in the tone/color of choice. The results are always quite nice.

All the 2846 I have seen are non-hack. I usually install a stop lever from a 2836-2 to make it hack. But it is all a matter of personal preference. If your 2846 is "hacking", the lever can be removed, but I only recommend doing this if you have experience in assembling/disassembling movements. A lot can go wrong real quick! But, that is the best way to learn. "trial and error".

You can order the part (for 2801-2) from a supply house to make it 2 position, but if you want to save $8.00-$12.00 (depending on shipping) and time, just mod the part. It is quite easy to do if you have a small file, care and patience.

• 1 year later...

This is the part that needs to be modified or replaced to achieve a two position non-date. There are small notches (for lack of a better term) that determine the set functions when you pull the stem. What you need to do is eliminate one of the stops.

Here's a borrowed pic from stilty to illustrate:

262885-5060.jpg

The one on the right is stock, whereas the one on the left is modified.

Do you have the part number Ubi? I may want to do this to a 2783 movement I have for the Tudor build.

E

Do you have the part number Ubi? I may want to do this to a 2783 movement I have for the Tudor build.

E

swatch sells the 2846 version of the no date 2 position movement in their "swatch IRONY body and soul watch" its a "2841" movement but its not meant to be serviced so im not entirely sure if there are replacement parts specifically for this cal.

since its a skeleton watch you clearly see the 2 notch keyless works

@nielest toasting it wont kill the lume. ive painted over lume markers with acrylic paint and it has still faintly glowed through in the right conditions.

I cant find the part we are looking for with my suppliers, the two position "winklehebelfeder" is 445/2 an on the tech paper work (2846 attached) it lists that part at 445/2 being the same for a 2836 as well, but by chasing the calibre back to the base of all these the 2801 the part number 445/1 appears in the assembly list (also attched as 2836 but includes 2801/2)

this part 445/1 is available to order from my suppliers should i order some, will cost about €10 with tax and post to me

2846.pdf

2836.pdf

• 1 month later...

swatch sells the 2846 version of the no date 2 position movement in their "swatch IRONY body and soul watch" its a "2841" movement but its not meant to be serviced so im not entirely sure if there are replacement parts specifically for this cal.

The Swatch 284X movements also don't have holes drilled for screws to hold the movement tabs; they were intended to be used with plastic movement holders. Amazing what they'll do to cut costs.