When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Budget DRSD is Finished

jmb

A while back I posted about the $85 DRSD I picked up and since then I have made little incremental upgrades and fixes. I think I have it just about where I like it. I started off by changing the "late model" style pearl with the acrylic pearl from Clarks, I then enlarged the lug holes and fitted the correct spring bars. The crystal that came on it was too flat and the transition between face and sides too abrupt so I changed it out with an aftermarket T-19 from wholesaleoutlet990. I recently let Hike talk me into putting on one of the riveted bands I have and I think he was right, it looks right at home. So here's the breakdown:

Watch - $85

2 Spring bars - $4

Pearl/shipped - $17.50

T-19 Crystal/shipped - $14.90

Riveted Vintage Band - $50

Total cost - $171.40

I suppose that it might be "more correct" with a "Super Dome" crystal (which I have) but I like the looks of the T-19 better.

Here's how it turned out. Shots taken against a split pecan log background for Lani's viewing pleasure! ;)

DRSD fin 1.JPG

DRSD fin 2.JPG

DRSD fin 3.JPG

DRSD fin 4.JPG

DRSD fin 5.JPG

Crystal profile:

T-19 side 2.JPG

Yeah, I thought about the CGs after I got it back together and was too lazy to de-case it again! Someday when I get bored I need to do that. ;) The case and dial are as received except for re-drilling the lug holes.

I got the watch from trevorwatch.info. I suppose the admins can censor out the url if I'm violating anything...

That's cool you could put a T-19 on there, you need to shoot a side pic to let us see what it looks like. It's cool that the pearl mod worked out- looks great. What about the HE valve, does it work? And yes, you need to do the cg's.

Good job! You can't beat these budget subs!

P1000193-1-1-1-1.jpg

Crystal profile added to OP...

Highoe, I've seen that and think it's really nice. I have some possible dial projects I'm thinking of tackling. I bought a high res thermal transfer printer that can print opaque white and I have some hair-brained schemes floating around inside my skull!!

kbh, I've seen people who abbuse the hell out of backs and have never figured out how a REAL watch would get that beat up on the backside if it's worn! I may put a ding or two in it... ;)

Thanks Hike, I'm glad you "talked" me into putting on the riveted band...

Mr. Goat, this version has a working He valve. At least I assume it will work as it's constructed correctly.

Thanks for the side shot, JB. The later GWSD's had a crystal with a lower profile, and of course not all DRSD's have the high dome. Sometimes a high dome can be a liability- I know, I smacked my rep 1680 w/ a gen T-127 on a concrete bench at the rifle range a few months ago- put a big gouge on the cyclops and another one across the body of the crystal- still got some more polishing to do on it.