When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AT 3719 "Slevin" - Wow

OSRep

Righty, so im pretty excited whilst writing this that im not sure what I want to say :bangin: Well Ive been on RWG for a while now and have really been overwhelmed by the support (thanks Lani, Deniz, BK, concepta to name a few), and wealth of knowledge! I am not a noob to watches - I have had plenty of gens (very high end to everyday beaters), however never owned a rep......

So, like any noob my first question is / was: WHAT WATCH DO I BUY FIRST?? This answer only came to me after alot of reading (an unfortunate MUST for all noobs) but if you love watches you will learn alot. Advice from long time / experienced members was invaluable.

Anyhow, I had narrowed it down to a few, i.e. a WM9/BK Rollie, a UPO (as parts, even though not cheap, ARE affordable and easy to source, a Skyland Avenger Black Steel. I also looked at some popular ones: Breitling SOSF, Chopard GTXL, certain PAM's i.e. the 111, AP's (too expensive i.m.h.o) etc.........However, the one I chose took me by surprise and I acted upon instinct!!! So here she is:

The IWC Aquatimer Chronograph 3719 aka "Slevin": Im not going to attempt an award winning review (like those written by SD4K, Giormani, By-Tor, Lani, etc), but I'll just give my impressions.......

Ok, bought the watch from a forum member located in Sweden. It took 7 days for shipping from Sweden to London (UK) which is fairly quick. I was hesitant whilst opening the box - "am I going to find it in pieces", "whats the quality going to be like", "have the hands come off the dial", "will it be D.O.A" etc etc.......So I must say I was really taken aback by what I found in the box - WOW!! "What a beauty".....AND she showed signs of life......RELIEF!! So statements of "reps have come along way over the past few years" are very true......its amazing.

Apologies for the pics - took them in the rain - so crystal looks "blotchy" - its not! Also lots of dust from wiping.

IMG_3461.jpg

First impressions: !! NOTE: I have never held a gen IWC Aquatimer - so this is based purely on what I see and feel !!

Model : IWC Aquatimer Chrono "Slevin"

Movement : A.7750 Valjoux Automatic, 28,800bph, Fully Functional Chronograph

Dimensions : Width 42mm x 13.4mm Thick

Dial : Black Dial With Black Subdials And Stick Markers

Bezel : Rotatable Inner Bezel

Case Material : 316L Solid Stainless Steel

Caseback : Steel Caseback With Engraving

Crystal : Sapphire Crystal With Double AR Coating

Strap : Stainless Steel bracelet (with push pins)

Out of the box the Slevin looks beautiful - its a very refined and sophisticated sports chronograph that would probably look good with a suit too. I noticed no cosmetic flaws with the watch and the finish is high quality. The steel is brushed nicely and the watch feels solid overall.

First thing I noticed is the way the dial / markers catch the light - stunning! The lume is nicely applied with straight lines. The dial printing is done very nicely too - very clean. The day / date seems to line up too. Next thing is the AR - I cant compare this to a gen, but its very nice with a blue/aquamarine hue at certain angles (ofcourse something tells me "Chief AR is in order") :brow:

IMG_3458.jpg

IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

The bracelet looks great! Its one of my favourite designs in the watch world - however it does FEEL a little "light". I had fun sizing it - one of the easiest I have done myself!! Theres a little button on the inside of the links - you just press it and push the pin out - SIMPLE AS! The clasp is nicely engraved with "IWC" - however it's a little bit loose :(

IMG_3463.jpg

IMG_3464.jpg

The crown and buttons are nicely made and engraved sharply. Turning the inner bezel feels a bit stiff and gritty "firm" dont know if thats a good thing or not - but it works. The crown unscrews nicely and clicks out to all positions - however in the "3rd position" i.e. the time-setting position, the crown REALLY wobbles...... :thumbdown:

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

The movement is an A7750......this one was apparently serviced and seems to be running smooth. The chrono functions all work perfectly, the chrono seconds hands sweeps nicely (but with a slight stutter at times). So far its keeping excellent time *fingers crossed* - I am thinking of getting this puppy a transplant though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In terms of weight its about 160grams. I think thats about 20grams lighter than the gen - im assuming thats lost in the movement / bracelet.....it feels very comfortable on the wrist though. Its a perfect size at 42mm diameter and 13.5mm thick.....I wish it was a little heavier though :wounded1:

Conclusion: VERY HAPPY! I cant believe im wearing a rep watch!!! The Slevin is an awesome watch. Cant wait to get my next. Thank you everyone who helped me.......Enjoy the last few pics.

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

/ OS

I could imagine your first impression outta the box.. :Jumpy:

for a first rep you did pick one of the all time best !!!!

bet you were floored by the Quality of a "rep".. with the 3719 Slevin??? :good:

And for your first rep post you went the yard!!!

Like myself and many others there is some fascination and mystique to replications..

This is just the beginning OS.. because there is really no end..

The Journey is much greater than the destination.. once you arrive at the end.. all it is .....

Is a New beginning... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Live Strong and Wear it Well

AC/Lani

hey OS im glad that i helped you:)

thats a real nice watch, i like the slevin too, and i t looks very cool on your wrist.

and hey for your first review this was pretty nice :)

look forward too you SD ;)

realy enjoy it, its a real cool watch, and its real nice too have you here, and see your first rep with purchasing help from RWG :)

RWG RULES

see you around :)

I could imagine your first impression outta the box.. :Jumpy:

AC/Lani

Lani I was TRULY shocked! I remember going through the gold souk in Dubai (2005) - I was with friends who bought alot of reps - I didnt because they were blatantly "fantasy" and poor quality. So the industry has come a long way! The Slevin is a beautiful watch *touch wood*. Yeeeeah I tried to keep the post short, but hey....adrenaline! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Thanks bro.....

hey OS im glad that i helped you:)

thats a real nice watch, i like the slevin too, and i t looks very cool on your wrist.

and hey for your first review this was pretty nice :)

realy enjoy it, its a real cool watch, and its real nice too have you here, and see your first rep with purchasing help from RWG :)

RWG RULES

Thanks for the positive feedback Denz. You should look at the Slevin too - very nice rep. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Good to have you here too bro.....

Guest techlogik

Oh, I cant edit the original post, but just wanted to add that: THE LUME IS VERY POOR on the watch - so a gen dial or lume work is required

Impossible to source a Gen dial for these.

There is only one person you can trust with the lume on that watch...The Zigmeister.

Contact him and get an appointment, it is well worth the money what he does to that lume and bezel.

Below is the Slevin lume..the photos stink, it is more like the Cousteau right after.

The Slevin was my first Rep. I put a Swiss 7750 in it, then had Zigmeister lume it. Then sold it the day I got it all back, because I love the Cousteau a bit more.

The Slevin is still one of the best super reps out of the box.

nqnwd0.jpg

2qxq842.jpg

Oh, I cant edit the original post, but just wanted to add that: THE LUME IS VERY POOR on the watch - so a gen dial or lume work is required

Zig can and has lumed the Slevin to perfection if that's what you want. Alllll the little numbers ... so much work! But he does it.

@ techlogik: I came across your Slevin whilst doing a bit of reading - shame that you sold it! I will definitely contact Zig when im ready to have it lumed (it looks like it really makes a difference). Is the lume for personal satisfaction or getting it closer to the gen? - im waiting for a movement transplant first ;)

Like myself and many others there is some fascination and mystique to replications..

This is just the beginning OS.. because there is really no end..

Lani's said it all. You picked an awesome start. And, WOW...great first rep post. Awesome.

More importantly, you put back to the community that helped you out...and that goes miles. Well done...and welcome aboard.

That used to be true, but no longer :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Concepta can supply the dial and hands for this beauty!

I shot him a PM whilst waiting for the Slevin - he said its difficult, but possible...... :whistling:

Lani's said it all. You picked an awesome start. And, WOW...great first rep post. Awesome.

More importantly, you put back to the community that helped you out...and that goes miles. Well done...and welcome aboard.

Hey "TT"....Thanks mate. Woke up this morning and checked the watch - still "ticking" away nicely, the day/date have changed too......Well when writing the post I was trying to say things that MAY help people (noobs) when choosing their first watch ;) Thanks for the kind words. Best wishes.

Guest techlogik

That used to be true, but no longer :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Concepta can supply the dial and hands for this beauty!

This must be a new development for the aquatimer and Cousteau?

I had asked not long ago and he said he couldn't.

Doesn't matter to me, my lumed up Zigmeister dial/bezel puts the Gen to shame...haha..

Besides swapping the movement, do you have any other mods planned? I think a chief AR crystal would be a nice touch. That's on my 'near term' list of to-do's for mine :)

Well the major one is getting the 79320 from Nik :bounce: I think that will make a major difference. Im enjoying the blue hue AR of the watch....but Chiefs AR is in consideration (Im just not good with waiting) :bangin: You have a Slevin too Ubi?

This must be a new development for the aquatimer and Cousteau?

I had asked not long ago and he said he couldn't.

Doesn't matter to me, my lumed up Zigmeister dial/bezel puts the Gen to shame...haha..

Hey tech, as I said, I asked him and he said "its possible but very difficult and a long wait"...... :) Youve sold yours havnt you?

Ooooooooooooooooooo pretty pretty!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Never came across yours in the searches. :( Whats the current status of your Slevin, and what are you planning on doing to it? If you dont mind sharing that is......... ;)

:) I keep this one under the radar for the most part, as it was a gift from a very good friend of mine from a tropic island paradise ;) But this is definitely one of my most cherished pieces because of the friendship that this watch represents ^_^

Current status on this one is all stock. But over the next few months, I hope to change that. I've got a chief'd crystal en route; that will likely be the inaugural mod for this one. Other near/mid term plans include either gen or Swiss 7750, English D/DW, and I'm on the list for gen dial and hands :whistling: After that, just some wrist time :lol:

:) I keep this one under the radar for the most part, as it was a gift from a very good friend of mine from a tropic island paradise ;) But this is definitely one of my most cherished pieces because of the friendship that this watch represents ^_^

Current status on this one is all stock. But over the next few months, I hope to change that. I've got a chief'd crystal en route; that will likely be the inaugural mod for this one. Other near/mid term plans include either gen or Swiss 7750, English D/DW, and I'm on the list for gen dial and hands :whistling: After that, just some wrist time :lol:

Good idea keeping it secret - its a quality piece.....what a gift - im sure I know who it was from ;) Heard the modded ones are hard to come by too?

Still takes a pretty photo even as "stock"....Will keep an eye out for updates on your progress :whistling: I hope a gen engine gives it a bit more weight....it feels like a Titanium watch. Does your crown wobble at the fully extended position?

I think the modded pieces tend to have a long term spot in most people's collections! :) I rarely see these turn up for sale; even stock pieces seem to be a bit of a rarity on the secondary market :g:

I'm hoping to start on the 3719 soon, but I still need to finish up my Portuguese chronograph, and I have a few other projects on the grid as well. But this one is definitely on the list for work! As for weight- I've yet to actually weigh mine, but I seem to recall it having decent heft (I'll need to check it when I get home). The 7750 swap might not make much of a difference in this regard, however; I'm not sure how to make this piece much heavier aside from having a new movement ring and movement cover machined out of a heavier, denser metal (maybe a lead spacer)? As for the crown; yeah, mine's wobbly in the time setting position. Date set and winding positions feels pretty solid though. It's a problem with the crown itself, specifically where the crown joins with the spring loaded portion. Kind of a bugger :(

OS, it's beautiful!!! Congrats, thanks for sharing!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ubi, you're killing me with the visuals! Everytime I think I've found my next watch (which usually stems from one of your amazing macro's) I see another one of your pics and then the list keeps growing and I can't make up my mind! :bangin: It's all good though, I love the dial, man it's gorgeous :wub: Cheers :drinks: